TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #31  
Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #32  
JD is not worth extra money !!!

RE: tractor brands

It has been 50 years since I took 'Economics 101' in college.

Ten weeks of interpreting supply and demand graphs, sketched on the blackboard by a tenured PhD. In theory, as a commodity price goes up, demand for that commodity goes down.

In tractors the two most expensive brands, Kubota and Deere, had somewhere around 70% of the USA tractor market in pre-Covid 2019. Kubota dominating the compact tractor market, which we comment on here. Deere equalling or surpassing Kubota in total tractor revenue due to Deere's sales of 100-600 horsepower tractors.

THE MARKET is not theoretical, THE MARKET IS THE MARKET.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #33  
There’s another thread where someone has had a lot of problem with his RK tractor. Aren’t those made by TYM? Of course any brand can have problems including JD.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #34  
RE: tractor brands

It has been 50 years since I took 'Economics 101' in college.

Ten weeks of interpreting supply and demand graphs, sketched on the blackboard by a tenured PhD. In theory, as a commodity price goes up, demand for that commodity goes down.

In tractors the two most expensive brands, Kubota and Deere, had somewhere around 70% of the USA tractor market in pre-Covid 2019. Kubota dominating the compact tractor market, which we comment on here. Deere equalling or surpassing Kubota in total tractor revenue due to Deere's sales of 100-600 horsepower tractors.

THE MARKET is not theoretical, THE MARKET IS THE MARKET.

The flip side of that argument is, "There's a sucker born every minute." Attributed (perhaps rightly so, maybe not) to P.T. Barnum, a very successful entertainer.

You see, he realized that profit does not always correlate with quality. Just because something costs more, and is in higher demand, does not equate to it being "better." That is the fallacy in your logic. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're argument really is. But, if it's that John Deere and Kubota are better tractors, you're justifications don't support that notion.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #35  
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your argument. If it's that John Deere and Kubota are better tractors, your justifications don't support that notion.

My post simply states that for some reason(s) basic economic theory seems not to apply to compact tractor sales. "Better" encompasses many attributes. Maybe the issue is 0% financing, maybe dealer proximity, maybe brand prestige, maybe brand recognition, maybe parts availability, maybe ease of resale, maybe ease of trading in for a heavier tractor. For diverse reasons 2/3 to 3/4 of new tractor buyers in the USA purchase either Kubota or Deere. Twenty-four or more other brands share the balance of the new tractor market.

In Post #2 and many other posts on T-B-N, I have recommended shopping Korean tractors, with the caveat that the dealers tend to be relatively small and half have not been tested by an economic recession.

Last edited:
   / TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #36  
Maybe I'm misinterpreting your argument. If it's that John Deere and Kubota are better tractors, your justifications don't support that notion.

My post simply states that for some reason(s) basic economic theory seems not to apply to compact tractor sales. "Better" encompasses many attributes. Maybe the issue is 0% financing, maybe dealer proximity, maybe brand prestige, maybe brand recognition, maybe parts availability, maybe ease of resale, maybe ease of trading in for a heavier tractor. For diverse reasons 2/3 to 3/4 of new tractor buyers in the USA purchase either Kubota or Deere. Twenty-four or more other brands share the balance of the new tractor market.

In Post #2 and many other posts on T-B-N, I have recommended shopping Korean tractors, with the caveat that the dealers tend to be relatively small and half have not been tested by an economic recession.
Budweiser sells a lot of beer. Only a serious AB fanboy would suggest Bud is the best beer. I would argue it is not in the top 10.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #37  
Those are exactly the models from my research that I have narrowed to for those makes...add to them...LS MT 347H, Kioti DK4710 SE, TYM T494H, Kubota 4760HST, Case IH Farmall 45C, and New Holland Boomer 45T4B, the Branson is specifically the 4820H.

I am interested in what pushed you to MF? They seem to be losing dealers around me. The nearest one on their locator was 40 miles away and they now sell NH only. The next closest is 52 miles away. In total 2 of the 5 dealers within 70 miles of me (according to MF website) do not even carry MF any longer. I don't mind the drive, but I don't want to go 50+ miles away and then they drop MF, too. (the one 52 miles away also carries NH)

I really wanted the Branson due to the cost and I liked the mechanical fuel injection/passive dpf system (easy to delete in the future). It is a well built tractor upon first hand inspection.
The Branson’s shortcomings for us were:
- The dealer felt temporary. They were a high volume dealer with a good reputation but they had focused on selling horse trailers before selling tractors. The sales building is a single wide and the service building was a couple small metal pole barns. I might have taken a chance on a less expensive model. They offer a lifetime power train warranty.
- Kukje builds Branson and TYM just bought Kukje. I’m not sure what that means for Branson. Also the Branson website is out of date again giving me some pause.
- Ingress/Egress is somewhat tight.(Something we didn’t notice until checking out the MF)
- No removable clean out screens like the MF
- No air ride seat(wife has bad back)/not enough adjustment for wife to reach pedals

JD4052R: I really wanted the John Deere as it was in stock and we had just sold our 1120 which was great to us. The dealer seemed to have good service though the sales department seemed uninterested in selling us a UTV earlier in the year so we bought a Can Am.
The JD had some neat features like a really customizable hydro trans control scheme . Great PTO hp. Also neat was the ability to move the tractor and operate the 3 point while outside for easy hookups.
The JD had some flaws:
- All 3 examples had door seals falling off on the dealer lot. This didn’t bode well for long term ownership
- some plastic was already fading on the lot
- JD bucket attach, not ssqa
-most expensive
- no door strut on right side(even the Branson had on both sides)
- just didn’t feel as well made as other tractors we looked at.

Big wins for the Massey:
- air ride seat/wife can reach
- clean out screens for radiator
- good warranty and cheap extended warranty
- simplified version of adjustable hydro trans
-speedometer (helpful for mowing consistently and efficiently on my property)
- struts on both doors.
- easier to use cruise control

We looked at Kubota but we don’t like treadles.
Kioti was too far away, but decent
NH was out of stock.
RK had faded tractors and no real support center

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #38  
I'm buying a new tractor and it's between the TYM T474 ($35k new) and John Deere 4044 ($52k new). They are similar in specs, but about $17k price difference. Obviously JD has better brand, more dealers, and sounds like when I talk to folks, a better tractor.

I'm trying to warrant spending significantly more considering this is my 1st tractor for my 10 acre piece of property. I'll be using it to do some gardening, landscaping, snow removal, and give rides to kids. When things break, I'd like to figure out easily how to fix (ideally more reliable the better..)

Opinions welcome, thank you
I'd go with a Deere. Quality never costs-it always pays. I think 50 horse and above are Deere diesels; below that Yanmar?? Get Deere's engine. My opinion.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #39  
I'm buying a new tractor and it's between the TYM T474 ($35k new) and John Deere 4044 ($52k new). They are similar in specs, but about $17k price difference. Obviously JD has better brand, more dealers, and sounds like when I talk to folks, a better tractor.

I'm trying to warrant spending significantly more considering this is my 1st tractor for my 10 acre piece of property. I'll be using it to do some gardening, landscaping, snow removal, and give rides to kids. When things break, I'd like to figure out easily how to fix (ideally more reliable the better..)

I bought my first-ever tractor (not a lawn tractor) in Jan 2018 JD 1025R. I have over 650 hours on it (going to 700 soon) and I have a front snowblower 54", a ballast weight on the 3 pt, a 4' tiller and a 5' rear box blade. I am truly amazed with what I can do with this tractor. I also have a heated cab on it. I have 59 acres of wooded land that I play in with it. I have set of chains I got when I first bought it and although I live on hilly land, I have found that I don't need them. I do not have the lawn mower attachment (even though it is made for it). I have made a pair of small 2' pallet fork type bolt on the FEL to haul branches up the hill out back.

My dealer is 60 miles away from my house. I do my own maintenance and they are fast to pick up and repair warranty issues - like a broken windshield, broken brake pedal, and added a valve to by-pass the heated cab in the summertime.

I only have good things to say about John Deere !!

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #40  

Telling you honestly, IMO i would go with the deere. Heres why-
1. Excellent Parts system
-Deere Has great dealerships who stand behind their product. They also have a much better parts ordering system than competitiors. You can order Deere parts off of weingartz, and you can look up part diagrams on deeres website. This is unlike kubota, massey, kioti, tym, where you have to go to the dealer to even see a diagram.
2. Dealer system
-I, like you, kinda shrugged off the idea of the good relationship with your dealer. That was until i bought a new holland tc35d. My deere dealer is 25 minutes. New Holland Dealer is 55 minutes. Thats a big differene when your trying to fix something quickly. And if you don't like your local dealer, especially with brands like tym and new holland, there isn't other dealers nearby. I cant stand my local dealer to the point where i just order from a dealer in ohio where i bought my jd650 from. (NEW HOLLAND and Kubota & Kioti Dealer
3. Machine Reliabilty
-TYM is not nearly as well known, so less people can work on them, and ultimately that builds up a later cost. Plus, Deere is known for reliabilty and plenty of people know deere systems. The same cant be said for tym
All my opinion, take it or leave it. But there is a reason for a $17K Price difference. Its quality of parts, dealer network, parts network, and support.