Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #61  
@Omega-Woods, I hope you don't mind me asking a question on your thread, but it might yield some advice that is beneficial to you, as well...

I have a Kubota that weighs in at 13,000 lbs. Based on what I've read in this thread, I won't be able to trailer it without a CDL, period. But I could haul it on the back of a truck without a CDL if I could find a truck with a GVW below 26,000 lbs AND the capacity to carry 13,000 lbs. on it.

Is there such an animal? Am I looking for something like a rollback? Thanks in advance!

I want to get a Cat track machine that weighs 12k. I was told by the trailer guy here that the only way to do it is with a single cab, single axle one ton, 8k axel, tandem axle bumper pull. That is at max capacity for truck and trailer. If I was to go 10k dual axel gooseneck, it's over weight.

I have no doubt that my current F350 crew could pull it and be fine today on a 8k trailer. It seems the weight limits are not keeping up with these powerful new trucks.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #62  
I want to get a Cat track machine that weighs 12k. I was told by the trailer guy here that the only way to do it is with a single cab, single axle one ton, 8k axel, tandem axle bumper pull. That is at max capacity for truck and trailer. If I was to go 10k dual axel gooseneck, it's over weight.

I have no doubt that my current F350 crew could pull it and be fine today on a 8k trailer. It seems the weight limits are not keeping up with these powerful new trucks.
Thanks. You're saying a tandem axle trailer with two 8k axles, bumper pull in order to minimize tongue weight on the truck rear axle, and the truck would have a GVWR of 10k (or less)?

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #63  

I have a tandem 8k GN that I use for my 12K tractor Set up. Hauls it great behind my quad cab 1 ton SB Cummins Ram. Easily within the capacity of the truck. And to any DOT officer listening in, I always stay within the 150 mile farmers exclusion…. I promise…

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #64  
Upon further review, it appears that I made an inaccurate statement here:
I have a Kubota that weighs in at 13,000 lbs. Based on what I've read in this thread, I won't be able to trailer it without a CDL, period.
Today, I found a 17000 lb. GVWR trailer listed with 13,000 lb. load capacity. So, it could handle my Kubota, with no capacity to spare. My F-250 is rated at 8,800 GVWR, which would give me a combined GVWR of 25,800.
That means this is doable, if I max out a 17k lb trailer and convince my gas 460 / 5 speed that it can pull all that weight... am I right?

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #65  

Today, I found a 17000 lb. GVWR trailer listed with 13,000 lb. load capacity. So, it could handle my Kubota, with no capacity to spare. My F-250 is rated at 8,800 GVWR, which would give me a combined GVWR of 25,800.
That means this is doable, if I max out a 17k lb trailer and convince my gas 460 / 5 speed that it can pull all that weight... am I right?
That is the right thing to do. Maxing out the rating of a 3/4 ton pickup that is equipped with the same stuff as a 1 ton is the only thing you can do these days without spending $5k to get a newly issue class a CDL.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #66  
I would not worry at all. It can be cleared up in court. Plus, the chances of being stopped is small as long as you obey all the other traffic laws and do not wreck.
There was a commercial vehicle enforcement officer in NW Washington that seemed to pick on farmers and small contractors with the two axle bumper pull trailers. I used to see him almost every day at a certain intersection with one pulled over. He liked dump trucks too, but his favorite was the two axle pull trailers. He is probably retired now.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #67  
I don't know this site is legit or not but you can do your knowledge training and take the theory test without attending in-person classes. You still have to pass the skills test.
Nope, you now have to take a class from a registered training facility listed at: Training Provider Registry

Regardless of the weight you are hauling in the truck, or towing on the trailer;

If "ANY combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater" you are in need of CDL
From your link:

Class A: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater.
So a Class A CDL is required for a tow vehicle+trailer GCWR over 26K IF the trailer GVWR is over 10,001#
Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
A Class B CDL is required for a tow vehicle GVWR over 26K with a trailer GVWR under 10,000#
Class C: Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
A Class C CDL is required for anything that doesn't meet the weight for a Class A or B, but has 16+ passengers, or is carrying hazmat or a "select agent or toxin"

So as has been said:
Tow vehicle GVWR under 26,000# with a trailer under 10,000# (36,000# GCWR) = No CDL
Tow vehicle GVWR under 26,000# with a trailer over 10,000# AND the GCWR under 26,000# (ie: truck with 10k GVWR pulling a trailer with a 16k GVWR) = No CDL

Tow vehicle GVWR over 26k = CDL
Trailer GVWR over 10k AND GCWR over 26k = CDL

Aaron Z

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #68  
I don't know this site is legit or not but you can do your knowledge training and take the theory test without attending in-person classes. You still have to pass the skills test.

Nope, you now have to take a class from a registered training facility listed at: Training Provider Registry
I believe what Omega linked to is a legit online school to prepare you for the written "theory" test. After passing that test, you are ready to pay a "registered training facility" to provide your behind the wheel training, which prepares you for the driving test.

It appears that Ohio (and perhaps other states) provides the online training for the written "theory" test free of charge:
The Ohio LTAP Center, as a program within the Ohio Department of Transportation’s Office of Local Programs, is providing CDL Theory training free of charge via eLearning.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #69  

What is the GCWR of the truck? I believe that no matter the combination, the truck has to be licensed for the combined gross weight. I think that is what the commercial enforcement officer was getting people on. Most people license their pickup for just its weight. It may (and probably does) vary from state to state.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #70  
What is the GCWR of the truck?
That's a great question, and one I do not know the answer to. The sticker in the door frame shows the GVWR and both axle ratings, but no GCWR. Ford's site only goes back to 2004 with the towing ratings, as far as I can find... and my truck is a 1997 F-250 HD Supercab.

But considering it has a gas engine and 3.55 gears, it can't be rated anywhere near 17,000 lbs of trailer. Likely closer to 10,000.
In which case, I'm back to the drawing board re: the best way to move my machine without a CDL.

Last edited: