Unsafe generator wiring et al.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #31  
I lived in Florida for a number of years and one of those we had a hurricane come thru and we were without power for 9 days. (Grocery stores and gas stations need power for refrigeration and pumps so none of that was available either.) I'm older now and it would be more difficult to deal with no power for very long. Do we really need a generator? Probably not, we've only been without power a few times for a couple of hours since then. But, I have a whole house generator with a 1000 gallon tank, I'm not going to repeat that experience!

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #32  
also depends on location. Here in the pacific northwest it gets dangerously cold in the winter. Can be very dangerous for older people. not everyone can haul wood into the house to burn. i have many disabled, older people that cant handle the physical chore of moving a portable generator outside and setting it up.

for alot of people, an automatic whole house is not a necessity, for others it is. i never judge what is or isnt a necessity.

ive had potential customers tell me that they thought the cost for auto gen was too high for something they may never use. and when bidding system i see snow mobiles, quads in shop, huge RV's in shop, multiple boats, etc. these probably hardly ever get used either, and need maintenance yearly. so for each person its individual choice for necessity.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #33  
Please don't misconstrue what I'm about to ask........

But lets say, you have a 4400 WATT generator, and for some reason you use a suicide cord and forget to switch off the main. And lets also say that all your neighbors do exactly the same thing during an outage. Wouldn't the non-synchronized generators cancel each other out? They would all be out of phase.
nicely worded and concise question, but unfortunately the answer is "depends". if there is enough impedance (transformers, wire etc) between them they may self synchronize and all be in phase or they may trip all the breakers. this also depends on the type of generators involved. when it comes to power delivery we have a pretty good handle on what happens under consistent conditions as long as everyone is following code. in the case you called out a lot of different things could happen most of them bad.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #34  
And then you get people with my setup which is a 25Kw pto generator, with normally a 75hp tractor running it.

I could possibly backfeed a transformer and power up a utility line.
Do I need 25Kw no I could get by with less. I have thought about getting a smaller tractor to put on the generator
so as to use less fuel. But one tractor has the 540E mode which allows that tractor to throttle down to 1750 rpm with 540 on the pto.

But when my 3/4 hp pump kicks on, nothing even flickers.
We have several outages a year, and it is not unusual for one to be multiple days. Most of our longer outages are in the winter.
So my boiler is running, the water well needs pumping a couple of freezers and refrigerators, we even use the oven and stove top,
and have even been know to do laundry and run the dryer.
When it's on line we don't even think about it everything just works like normal, heat or AC.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #35  
All the 'Interlock' does is makes sure your turn off main breaker before turning on generator.

Attachments

• A68548D9-E28F-4CB8-BCB7-947592EABF73.jpeg
    A68548D9-E28F-4CB8-BCB7-947592EABF73.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 75
   / Unsafe generator wiring et al. #36  
All the 'Interlock' does is makes sure your turn off main breaker before turning on generator.
it makes sure you cannot have both on at the same time (interlocked), which is the code issue, but yes you do have to turn one off before the other can be turned on or both off at the same time just not both on at same time.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #37  
I cannot justify the money for a standby generator that might not ever get used, when we know we can get by just fine on a little portable.
I can. My 30 KW diesel fired unit runs the whole farm, barely. Probably should have bought a 40KW unit but I thought 30 was enough.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #38  
I can. My 30 KW diesel fired unit runs the whole farm, barely. Probably should have bought a 40KW unit but I thought 30 was enough.
Same here. But i have a 22 kw. I want to be able to run whatever i want. Also provides power to protect $4,000 worth of heated horse waters. Dont care how much propane it burns. I like creature comforts.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #39  
Sold off the cattle herd 2 years ago, so no more heated stock tanks and I just sold the Klene cattle barn as well.

/ Unsafe generator wiring et al. #40  
While I understand your concern, the way it was explained to me by a lineman was this: As long as the linemen are following protocol and doing their job accordingly they should be fine, also if for some reason your generator were to try and charge back the grid the demand on it would be so heavy (picture trying to power a village with a 5k or 8k generator) that it would immediately trip the breaker on the machine.
I'm not condoning the practice.
There have been Lineman Hurt & Killed due to Back Feed,,, a Breaker is a Safety Device that Can & Will Fail

Last edited: