Upgrade trailer axle possible?

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #1  

thunder86

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct4045
I have a gatormade trailer with 3,500 lb axles. How and where would you go to get a axle upgrade? Afterwards if I was in an accident would I be at fault with an insurance adjuster or would he honor that I upgraded my axles? The trailer stamp would have the same weight unless I took it somewhere and they redid the stamp if that’s legal? Thanks.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #2  
You can easily upgrade the axles, maybe a 30 min job depending on how rusted the existing hardware is...but what about everything else?

Maybe some more info on what you're trying to accomplish would help.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #3  
You could upgrade them if you wanted but it’s still a 7,000 pound trailer. You can’t just slap on bigger axels and start hauling 10,000 pounds.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible?
I’m just looking to make what I’m hauling legal if I was ever in an accident.
I’ve got 3,500lb axles so I can haul 5250lbs. I’m looking at hauling roughly 6,200lbs.
I'm confident my Gatormade trailer will haul something 1,000 pounds heavier than the rating but if I’m ever in an accident I’m automatically at fault. I’m only driving 15 minutes.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #5  
I’ve got 3,500lb axles so I can haul 5250lbs. I’m looking at hauling roughly 6,200lbs.
I'm confident my Gatormade trailer will haul something 1,000 pounds heavier than the rating but if I’m ever in an accident I’m automatically at fault. I’m only driving 15 minutes.
You can't change the legal weight rating of the trailer. Only the manufacturer can do that. So it comes down to how much risk you want to assume by exceeding that number. You can probably drive all of your life without a problem; but all that it takes is one bozo pulling out in front of you.

I don't know how that works with homemade trailers which have no weight rating.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #6  
The trailer was engineered to carry a heaver load but the working load has to be less so the trailer won't fail due to metal fatigue. If you haul more than rated you will be responsible. Only way around that is to get an engineer to certify the trailer to carry the heaver load.

Why change the axels? If you are going to overload the trailer, why not just overload the axels too!

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #7  
I thought about contacting the manufacture of my trailer to see if they would upgrade the axles and trailer rating. The spec tag on the trailer has long since faded out but that info is on the registration that I keep in the truck. My trailer, as do many others, offered a 5200 LB axle upgrade. I am assuming they just put the heavier duty axles, brakes, wheels, tires, and springs on the same frame.

Then I realized my little F150 is only rated to pull 7200 lbs with my engine, trans, and rear axle combo so the point was moot. :)

Last edited:
   / Upgrade trailer axle possible? #8  
50% of all accidents happen within 5 minutes of home and 77% happen within 15 minutes of home. The distance doesn't matter for the mom stopped at the stop sign in the minivan that spills her coffee in her lap and takes her foot off the brake as a result just as you are approaching from the side.

You're talking about a trailer gross weight increase of almost 20%, that's significant and it would require more thought into the other parts of the suspension beyond the axles, mounts, your brakes, etc.

To do it I think you'd have to "destroy" the trailer then reregister it as a home built with your new weights.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #9  
It may not be as easy as upgrading the axles. The frame, hitch, safety chains all come into play at that time. And even if you are not at fault in the accident can still cause issues with insurance. Like if you are hit broadside by a drunk driver that runs a red light and you die in the accident, Your life insurance can be denied to your family. And yes there is an Indiana supreme court case to back that up.

/ Upgrade trailer axle possible? #10  
It may not be as easy as upgrading the axles. The frame, hitch, safety chains all come into play at that time. And even if you are not at fault in the accident can still cause issues with insurance. Like if you are hit broadside by a drunk driver that runs a red light and you die in the accident, Your life insurance can be denied to your family. And yes there is an Indiana supreme court case to back that up.

Agreed. Either accept the fact you’re overloaded and roll on or buy another trailer that’s rated for the job. There’s really no in between. Personally I wouldn’t loose any sleep over a trailer overloaded within reason as long as the tow vehicle is up to the job.