Utility Trailer Gets a New Purpose

/ Utility Trailer Gets a New Purpose
The rear gates were next. I have found that having the right gate wider than the left, I am right-handed, makes it easier to load goats by yourself. And, by having the interior gate open to the right side of the trailer allows you to get your goats in and then push them to the front of the trailer using the gate. Keeping the left side rear gate closed prevents the critters from slipping back past you. 25Feb16_36.jpg

The left gate serves as the anchor point. It is latched to the floor of the trailer and the right gate bumps up against it. 25Feb16_37.jpg 5Apr16_41.jpg

The latch can be secured with a lynch pin or a padlock. The padlock is for when you are transporting goats and stop for lunch. It keeps the Lookie-Lous from opening the gates and letting your goats out into the parking lot. 25Feb16_38.jpg There are some really stupid people in this world.

Tail light mounts were the next step in the transformation. They extend out beyond the enclosure and are at eyeball height for the driver in the car following. No wiggle room for tailgating drivers who say they couldn't see the tail lights. 11Mar16_39.jpg

You sure have thought of a lot of things for these trailers. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Two_Bit. This is the 10th one I have built and we use one on our goat farm, so I try to make improvements on each one.

Mounts for the rear marker lights were made with 1 1/4" X 1 1/4" X 1/8" steel angle. This serves to protect the lights from big feet and heavy dropped objects. 5Apr16_42.jpg

After the dings were knocked out and the rust removed, the original fenders received a heavy coat of red oxide primer. 5Apr16_43.jpg

It was time for the 16 gauge cold rolled steel sheet metal. It was used on the front and the front two feet on each side. It serves to protect the goats from water spray when transporting them in the rain. It would protect them from snow as well, but this is central Texas and that just doesn't happen here. 18Apr16_44.jpg 18Apr16_45.jpg

The lower parts of the sides were also covered with sheet metal. 21Apr16_46.jpg 21Apr16_47.jpg

The tarp tie down bar was welded on. This will be used to tie the tarp down over the sheet metal and the spare tire mount bolt was also installed. 30Apr16_49.jpg

Do you always lose the lock pin for your hitch? You'll have to try to lose this one. 30Apr16_50.jpg

/ Utility Trailer Gets a New Purpose #27  
Real nice work on the trailer conversion. You definitely have put some thought and effort in to each of the 10 units you have built.

Only thing I can add is the 16 gauge box tubing would not last long in the Midwest rust belt due to road salt and humidity it rusts out quickly from the inside out. May work fine in Texas climate though, but might want to keep that in mind if you keep building these things and your customer base expands. I love box tubing and rectangle tubing for its strength, relative lighweight when walls are thin, and ease of fabricating with it. That said on my trailers I prefer angle iron or better yet C-channel iron (unless the box tubing is real substantial in thickness). My trailers sit outside in Ohio and angle or C-channel holds up nicely to the environment where all my friends that have bought or built trailers with lightweight box tubing have rust out issues real quick.

Real nice work on the trailer conversion. You definitely have put some thought and effort in to each of the 10 units you have built.

Only thing I can add is the 16 gauge box tubing would not last long in the Midwest rust belt due to road salt and humidity it rusts out quickly from the inside out. May work fine in Texas climate though, but might want to keep that in mind if you keep building these things and your customer base expands. I love box tubing and rectangle tubing for its strength, relative lighweight when walls are thin, and ease of fabricating with it. That said on my trailers I prefer angle iron or better yet C-channel iron (unless the box tubing is real substantial in thickness). My trailers sit outside in Ohio and angle or C-channel holds up nicely to the environment where all my friends that have bought or built trailers with lightweight box tubing have rust out issues real quick.

Thanks for the nice words. The square tubing used is 14 gauge, the sheet metal is 16 gauge. You are correct, the Midwest would eat these trailers, thank goodness I am in Texas.

The fenders went back on and the seam between the fender and the sheet metal was filled with caulking. The sheet metal received a heavy coat of primer before the fender was welded on. The seams between the metal sheets were filled with liquid metal, sanded and primer painted. 4May16_51.jpg

Caulking was also used to fill the gaps between the sheet metal and the tubing inside the trailer. 4May16_52.jpg

The entire trailer received a heavy coat of gray primer, inside and out. 9May16_53.jpg 9May16_54.jpg

Attachments

• 5Apr16_40.jpg
    5Apr16_40.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 5Apr16_41.jpg
    5Apr16_41.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 92
   / Utility Trailer Gets a New Purpose #30  
The fenders went back on and the seam between the fender and the sheet metal was filled with caulking. The sheet metal received a heavy coat of primer before the fender was welded on. The seams between the metal sheets were filled with liquid metal, sanded and primer painted. View attachment 470729

Caulking was also used to fill the gaps between the sheet metal and the tubing inside the trailer. View attachment 470730

The entire trailer received a heavy coat of gray primer, inside and out. View attachment 470727 View attachment 470728

What kind of caulking?