Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #181  
Why 6" past center for the axle? Not sure if you mean 6" forward of the center of the bed or aft of the bed center? Confused by the way you stated that. I have noted with interest there are many variations of axle placement on trailers. This includes both single and dual-axle models. Some have the axle placed far to the rear and others closer to bed center. I have not seen a good write-up on the pros and cons of various axle placement philosophies.
He must have meant in back of center. You want 60% of the weight in front of the axle.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #182  
He must have meant in back of center. You want 60% of the weight in front of the axle.
Yeah, I realize you want a good amount of tongue weight, and of course, that means the ideal placement of the axle depends on the shape and c.g. location of the load, etc. You see many big rigs on the highway with one 'extra' axle adjustable as to where it is mounted under the bed. Also a LOT of them with choices as to where the twin rear axles are mounted (fore and aft) under the bed. I don't know that I ever heard the rule of thumb for 60% of the weight being in front of the axle. Is that rule regarding just the trailer itself? Certainly what matters most is getting reasonable weight on the tongue. There is a surprising range of variation in axle placement among pull-type trailers which makes me curious as to the pros and cons.