Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #71  
Without knowing the frame parameters of these two trailers, your number of axles is of no consequence. You can build a good or poor trailer with any number of axles.
Yes, but a dual axle is far safer when a tire failure occurs.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #72  
I bought a single axle Big Tex with a load weight of about a ton. I only bought it for "just one thing." Boy was that a mistake.
Buy a 2 axle trailer. It'll be worth it over the long haul. The car-hauler from a previous post has a lot of merit for all the reasons specified thare.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #73  
The reality is it's the story of the Three Bears... you need several to have just the right one for the task at hand...

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #74  
I’ve seen some very knowledgeable posts and the ones who write the best responses have recommended a bulldog hitch. My question is why? They seem much more difficult to hook up and I’ve seen a couple bust into pieces if they got bumped while backing up to them. They do seem solid once they’re hooked up but rather fragile and somewhat difficult to use. I have both kinds on my trailers and I really kind of prefer of a good old latch type coupler. I would seriously love to know why people prefer the bulldog hitch.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #76  
Same here in Fl where I live.
Where did you find that information? I have lived in Fl all my life and have never heard any such, not saying it isn't so but I would like to know where that information is located.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #77  
a Local trailer mfg here in Cali was selling trailers for a while. the trailers were really cheap , but were shod with used car tires.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #78  
a Local trailer mfg here in Cali was selling trailers for a while. the trailers were really cheap , but were shod with used car tires.
There used to be several small trailer manufacturers around here and about 90% of their trailers had LT tires on them, one of my trailers has LT tires on it and I can't tell you how many RV's I have seen with LT tires on them.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #79  
I used to own a small single axle utility trailer I bought for $300 from a former co-worker. It was just for hauling stuff to the dump. I have, then, basic experience with trailering, but I need more knowledge to find the right one.

I figured out I cannot afford a big trailer and the truck it would take to move my tractor. I need a smaller one that can haul purchases home like a SxS (2800 lbs +/-), attachments I may buy in the future, and to help move things around the property. (trailer will be moved by pickup, tractor and SxS). Minimum size will need to probably be 6'x 12'.

Things I need to know:
pros and cons, given my needs, of 1 axle vs 2 axles
Must-have features...I simply don't know what I don't know
Recommendations on manufacturers and retailers
Tires - is it worth getting upgraded tires for predominantly off-road uses?

Any other advice is welcome. I have 2-3 months to figure out what I need. Thanks!
Don't buy this... Found today on TBN.

Attachments

• 1657952010406.png
    1657952010406.png
    721.3 KB · Views: 85
   / Utility trailers - what should i know? #80  
I have a 2006 DOUBLE A flatdeck utility quad trailer 7x12 (manufactured in Northern Alberta, Canada) - 7 ft wide between the wheels (lower profile and centre of gravity), by 12 ft long deck, single axle with 3500 lbs capacity. It is capable of hauling 3 full sized quads (4 ft wide, 7 ft long) side to side across the trailer. I have also hauled my BX23S tractor, loader, backhoe combination (weighs about 2800 lbs), and it fits. Granted there isn't much room to spare in length. The Silverado pickup, or the Nissan Murano can transport it around, and my Arctic Cat 4x4 quad (650 lbs) can not only ride ON it, but it can also PULL it around the yard, loaded up. it has 2x4 pockets along the edges, in case sides are needed at some point. It has full sized highway rated tires, wooden 2x6 inch deck planks. It is convenient and easy to haul, pulls along nicely, you hardly notice it. The ramps are for light to moderate duty, and they are now beginning to bend after years of use (I am re-inforcing them) - the ramps are stored, hidden under the deck. I will keep this trailer, it is so useful, and friends borrow it regularly.

I have also hauled a Chevy Cavalier, a Pontiac Sunfire, a Honda Fit, a Chevy Chevette, a Mazda pickup, and a VW Golf, as well as lumber, siding, dirt, and garbage ... it is a good trailer, and I bought it 12 yrs before I had my tractor. For general utility, it is great. Most of those vehicles noted were in the 2400 - 3000 lbs weight range.

My next purchase however ? - I would definitely like a 22 - 24 ft long, 7 ft wide (min), tandem axle CAR HAULER trailer at this point. An EQUIPMENT trailer (heavier duty) would be an optional second consideration, but probably more than i would need. I have a number of vehicles that I'd like to move around from time to time. In spite of what I just noted above, I think that it would be much wiser for me to have a tandem axle for moving vehicles and my tractor. Imagine a blown tire on the single axle, when you are hauling a vehicle or the tractor ? It would be difficult to replace a flat tire with the spare, due to all of the weight on the 1 remaining tire. At least with tandem two axles, four tires, if you blew out one of the four tires, you would still have a fighting chance, even if only to limp the trailer off the road and out of the way, while you sorted out the spare.
- tilt trailer would be great for my needs, but much more money
- a winch is planned for my next trailer, as that would make loading easier, especially if you had to move a non-running vehicle

I want/need a trailer of that length because I have classic vehicles etc that are 19-20 feet long. Although the wheels would likely fit on a 16 foot long trailer, I certainly don't want the ends of my El Caminos hanging over either end. Tandem axle trailers are far more stable on the road, especially when carrying a load - less prone to the trailer wobble that single axle trailers are known for.

I have no current need for a cargo trailer. I have PREVIOUSLY thought about a horse / cattle trailer (they are extra heavy though) to haul my quad around ... it would essentially be hidden from view (theft prevention). Decided against that, as only the truck could move it.

1657959909367.png
Simliar to this one

Last edited: