Utility trailers - what should i know?

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #81  
Where did you find that information? I have lived in Fl all my life and have never heard any such, not saying it isn't so but I would like to know where that information is located.
I was told that by a state trooper and the tire store where I bought my replacement tires for my car hauler. I have been searching online for documentation stating this, but with no luck. When I bought my car hauler it had car tires on it but was homemade so I didn't think anything about it until the tires needed replacing. that's when the tire store informed me that they were supposed to be 'trailer only' tires.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #82  
I was told that by a state trooper and the tire store where I bought my replacement tires for my car hauler. I have been searching online for documentation stating this, but with no luck. When I bought my car hauler it had car tires on it but was homemade so I didn't think anything about it until the tires needed replacing. that's when the tire store informed me that they were supposed to be 'trailer only' tires.
10-4 yeah I don't doubt that about certain tire stores, but I don't believe that there would be much that anyone could cite you for or cause you any grief for using LT tires on a trailer, but like anything else you never know. The one trailer that I have them on has a 3500 pound single axle and it seemed like everytime I turned around it would blow a trailer tire, got tired of it and put LT tires on it and haven't had any issues since.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #83  
I believe the trailer "rated" tire came from using mobile home axles for utility and equipment trailers.
The original tires were labeled on the tire sidewalls for mobile home use only these 7.00 or 8.00 by 14.5 tires
are not allowed in most states that require trailer inspections. You can get the same sized tires that are
"trailer only rated tires".

From a trailer tire spec sheet;
"The Deestone D292 is a highway terrain, all season tire manufactured for trailers. This tire is NOT MEANT TO BE MOUNTED ON LIGHT TRUCKS, as its construction will not support the weight and performing style of such vehicles. It can ONLY BE MOUNTED ON TRAILERS."

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #84  
I have a 2006 DOUBLE A flatdeck utility quad trailer 7x12 (manufactured in Northern Alberta, Canada) - 7 ft wide between the wheels (lower profile and centre of gravity), by 12 ft long deck, single axle with 3500 lbs capacity. It is capable of hauling 3 full sized quads (4 ft wide, 7 ft long) side to side across the trailer. I have also hauled my BX23S tractor, loader, backhoe combination (weighs about 2800 lbs), and it fits. Granted there isn't much room to spare in length. The Silverado pickup, or the Nissan Murano can transport it around, and my Arctic Cat 4x4 quad (650 lbs) can not only ride ON it, but it can also PULL it around the yard, loaded up. it has 2x4 pockets along the edges, in case sides are needed at some point. It has full sized highway rated tires, wooden 2x6 inch deck planks. It is convenient and easy to haul, pulls along nicely, you hardly notice it. The ramps are for light to moderate duty, and they are now beginning to bend after years of use (I am re-inforcing them) - the ramps are stored, hidden under the deck. I will keep this trailer, it is so useful, and friends borrow it regularly.

I have also hauled a Chevy Cavalier, a Pontiac Sunfire, a Honda Fit, a Chevy Chevette, a Mazda pickup, and a VW Golf, as well as lumber, siding, dirt, and garbage ... it is a good trailer, and I bought it 12 yrs before I had my tractor. For general utility, it is great. Most of those vehicles noted were in the 2400 - 3000 lbs weight range.

My next purchase however ? - I would definitely like a 22 - 24 ft long, 7 ft wide (min), tandem axle CAR HAULER trailer at this point. An EQUIPMENT trailer (heavier duty) would be an optional second consideration, but probably more than i would need. I have a number of vehicles that I'd like to move around from time to time. In spite of what I just noted above, I think that it would be much wiser for me to have a tandem axle for moving vehicles and my tractor. Imagine a blown tire on the single axle, when you are hauling a vehicle or the tractor ? It would be difficult to replace a flat tire with the spare, due to all of the weight on the 1 remaining tire. At least with tandem two axles, four tires, if you blew out one of the four tires, you would still have a fighting chance, even if only to limp the trailer off the road and out of the way, while you sorted out the spare.
- tilt trailer would be great for my needs, but much more money
- a winch is planned for my next trailer, as that would make loading easier, especially if you had to move a non-running vehicle

I want/need a trailer of that length because I have classic vehicles etc that are 19-20 feet long. Although the wheels would likely fit on a 16 foot long trailer, I certainly don't want the ends of my El Caminos hanging over either end. Tandem axle trailers are far more stable on the road, especially when carrying a load - less prone to the trailer wobble that single axle trailers are known for.

I have no current need for a cargo trailer. I have PREVIOUSLY thought about a horse / cattle trailer (they are extra heavy though) to haul my quad around ... it would essentially be hidden from view (theft prevention). Decided against that, as only the truck could move it.

View attachment 754437 Simliar to this one

Have you seen the new Diamond C tilt with pop up 12K winch? Pretty slick.

I just ordered a 24ft one.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #85  
I just welded a receiver hitch to the front rail and use a harbor freight winch with snatch block.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #86  
Honestly my Home Depot has been selling KAravan utility trailers and I’ve had my 5x10 for 4 years. Single axel with removable drop gate and drop sides and front rails. 2700 load rated and with that much sand recently it barely squatted the springs. 15” tires, PT wood deck.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #87  
THIS is amazing

Ground loading, and no ramps

1658014455655.png

1658014577658.png

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #88  
Don’t see many Air-Tow trailers but the zero load height makes them ideal for many applications but expensive.

I’ve used them to move machine tools like my Bridgeport mill and Southbend lathe and even the smallest single axle Air-Tow trailer has 3500 pound cargo rating…

I missed an older model years ago for $1800!!!

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #89  
I have a 12 foot Big Tex trailer. I found that pulling it with my ATV the jack is mounted to far forward and hits my rear light. I like the trailer, its not the problem just not designed for that use. I would recommend a tandem axle for weight capacity and if one tire goes flat on the farm you can still get it back to the shop. I have wood floors in all my trailers (3) the thing I would stay away from would be expanded metal. I run the heaviest rated trailer tire I can buy, just cheap insurance on the road. If you run short distance you may not need those.

/ Utility trailers - what should i know? #90  
If you buy a trailer with an A-frame coupler with tongue jack, your tailgate may not clear the tongue jack, it you have a pickup.

Bruce

Last edited: