UTV Comparison

/ UTV Comparison #31  
Hydrostatic transmission's are not perfect. They can and do break, very much limit your top speed and require an inordinate amount of HP to operate. CVT transmission's are very dependable, are very simple and cost less to repair or purchase in the first place. Personally I'd stick with the CTV type..

/ UTV Comparison #32  
Hydrostatic transmission's are not perfect. They can and do break, very much limit your top speed and require an inordinate amount of HP to operate. CVT transmission's are very dependable, are very simple and cost less to repair or purchase in the first place. Personally I'd stick with the CTV type..

I agree with this.

My parents have the diesel Kubota 1100 and it’s just too noisy and lacks any performance whatsoever. It’s a great reliable workhorse but it’s just too utilitarian for me. The topper is that it’s just not comfortable either.

/ UTV Comparison #33  
Ortimber, I'm considering the HPX615E, 815E & XUV825E. I assume the 835 is a larger version of the 825. Any thoughts let me know. Thanks.

I don’t have much knowledge of the other Deere SxS, sorry. The 835 and 865 (diesel) are a true 3 across machine, so I’d assume the overall width is quite a bit more than the models you’ve mentioned.

/ UTV Comparison #34  
Oh, just talked to my buddy about the JD he had and which one you don't want. He had the 590S4 and it had all the problems, suggest staying clear. He now has the 835M and likes it a lot other then being really large, takes ever bit of a 20 foot trailer to haul

Here is mine on a 7 X 18 trailer.

IMG_0353.jpg

/ UTV Comparison #35  
His is the 4 place or 2 bench seats

/ UTV Comparison #36  
Just repeating what he told me, and by looking at it, the thing is about as long as my 4 door pickup

/ UTV Comparison #37  
Another vote for the Honda Pioneer 1000. 6 speed automatic transmission just like many cars have, and if you want to shift it manually you can with the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. No belts to worry about and no hydrostat noise to listen to.

/ UTV Comparison #38  
Just repeating what he told me, and by looking at it, the thing is about as long as my 4 door pickup

Yep, the 4 seater machines are long.

/ UTV Comparison #39  
I have a John Deere 865r, which is the diesel version of the new cabbed HVAC equipped unit. I really like the little Yanmar, but at 32mph it doesn’t have the speed of the 835 gas models. I usually only go about 20, so it’s ok for running around the ranch. I just like diesels. I would recommend it to anybody. Just have to stomach the price. Fully optioned out, you are nearing 31K.
But you only live once.

/ UTV Comparison #40  
I'm in the market for a full size UTV and have narrowed it down to several manufacturers & models - Polaris Ranger XP 900, Ranger 570 Full Size, Kawasaki Mule (model TBD) & John Deere Gator (model TBD). The primary uses will be general farm chores including using a 25 gallon electric sprayer, winching small limbs up a bank, retrieving our dogs when they run off. I will also use it to hunt waterfowl - carry hunters, decoys & pull a small trailer. I like the bench seats of the Rangers for carrying 3 passengers. Any recommendations or advice on functionality, durability & problems/breakdowns would be appreciated. Thanks.

I forget the model number but buddy bought the new model JD and had nothing but trouble with it. Had the clutch replaced 3 times before 50 hours. After many discussions JD agreed to exchange it with the older model and he has had no problems.

Since your looking for the faster models, I would also look at the Honda, no belts

I currently own a kubota x900 RTV since 2014, it has been great but decided to make a change. Will be receiving my 2018 JD XUV835M Gator on next Tuesday or Wednesday. From what I have read this will be a great machine for my needs. Oh did I mention it will have AC.

Bill

Oh, just talked to my buddy about the JD he had and which one you don't want. He had the 590S4 and it had all the problems, suggest staying clear. He now has the 835M and likes it a lot other then being really large, takes ever bit of a 20 foot trailer to haul

The Deere 835M is an all new design machine. My FIL just bought an open cab 835M. It seats 3 across. I've driven it a couple hours so far. My favorite thing is the ride. The suspension gives a really good ride across a bumpy field. Not motocross whoops, but just normal bumps from ruts etc. So I have to admit I'm a yamaha rhino fan, but they are very dated, as is the Viking. Having a 1 cylinder engine is great for torque, but not as smooth for just running around. You should go test ride an 835M, and take it across some bumps to see for yourself. I'm not one who wants to go 45mph across a field, but I don't care for diesel on these because of noise, nor hydrostatic for lack of acceleration and top end. (yet I have a hydrostatic tractor with a yanmar so I'm not totally coming from left field.) Just not for a side x side.