Vehicle Lifts

/ Vehicle Lifts #21  
I thought about a 4 post then, thought if I needed to rotate my tires, or work on brakes, have the wheels off for any reason, I would still have to jack the vehicle up. For this reason, I went with 2 post

My 4 post has two air jacks. The hoist is plumbed with air. A short air hose plugged into the hoist post allows me to run an air impact, rotate tires, work on brakes, have wheels off with no additional equipment. Additionally I lay the tire/wheel on the hoist rather than dropping it to the ground. Heaviest thing I lift is the impact wrench.

Here's a pic of installing a locker in the rear axle of one of my Jeeps.

20140706_092935 (1280x720).jpg

/ Vehicle Lifts #22  
If you are thinking about installing a lift, better look at the manufacturers installation instructions first before you purchase. You should take a test drilling of your floor to see how thick your floor is first. Having done some research on this subject, Mohawk has some impressive specs, but they are expensive! My two cents here. Bob

/ Vehicle Lifts
If you are thinking about installing a lift, better look at the manufacturers installation instructions first before you purchase. You should take a test drilling of your floor to see how thick your floor is first. Bob

I had the floor poured with concrete. I had it poured 6+ inches thick where the lift will be installed

/ Vehicle Lifts
My 4 post has two air jacks. The hoist is plumbed with air. A short air hose plugged into the hoist post allows me to run an air impact, rotate tires, work on brakes, have wheels off with no additional equipment. Additionally I lay the tire/wheel on the hoist rather than dropping it to the ground. Heaviest thing I lift is the impact wrench.

Here's a pic of installing a locker in the rear axle of one of my Jeeps.

View attachment 534516

That's a nice set up you have. I thought about a 4 post lift, but the guy that I have been talking to said that used four post lifts are few and far between He said he mostly installs and removes 2 post lifts from dealerships. If I wanted to go four post I would likely have to purchase a new one.

With this two post I can drive straight through my garage out the back door just by swinging the lift arms out of the way. So, this was a plus for the two post

/ Vehicle Lifts #25  
I had the floor poured with concrete. I had it poured 6+ inches thick where the lift will be installed

A 2 post lift requires a solid base. They have a cross beam at the top to keep the uprights from leaning in toward the vehicle. But there is nothing to control the front to rear pressures put on the bases my vehicles that are heavy on one end. Especially trucks.

A 4 post lift doesn't require nearly as much base. There is no pressure on the bases other than straight down pressure from weight. My pedestals are approximately one foot square with four bolts in each one. You can actually use a 4 post without it being attached to the concrete. Some companies offer "mobile" attachments that allow the entire hoist to be moved within the shop area.

/ Vehicle Lifts #26  
With this two post I can drive straight through my garage out the back door just by swinging the lift arms out of the way. So, this was a plus for the two post

Yep. A 2 post takes up less shop space. My 4 post is set in front of a side rollup door. That floor space can only be used to park on the hoist or lift the hoist and park under the hoist.

If you have limited floor space in your shop you will be better served by a 2 post.

Another thing to keep in mind when shopping for a hoist. Most salesmen will quote an attractive price for the hoist in mind. Then once the hook is in your mouth you'll discover that there are attachments needed to fully use the hoist. Various heights of pedestals, etc. Most new hoists are priced without any frame pedestals and cannot be used until they are purchased. Ask a lot of questions concerning the various vehicles to be lifted.

/ Vehicle Lifts
Yeah, with a 2 post you have to make sure your vehicles are balanced just right.

I worked at a service station many yrs ago that had one of the lifts that come out of the ground with arms that would swing out to the frame of the vehicle. With things such as trucks, We always made sure the vehicle was well balanced before raising all the way up.

With the 4 post like you have, you could probably put casters on the feet and roll it around

/ Vehicle Lifts #29  
I find I use my lift for all kinds of odd things. I bough a plate compactor the other day at an auction and I use the one post of the lift to get it high enough to clean up the engine today and go over it all. I built a sort of table that pins to the lift arms and it works great for my motorcycle and small eqpt. The manufacture says it safe for up to 1500lbs on one post so that is plenty for smaller engines and small attachments. Makes it nice to have things at the perfect height when working.

/ Vehicle Lifts
I'll be back in town monday. The guy is suppose to come next week and install mine.
It's a gently used 10K. for $1950.00. I sure will like it for working on the vehicles. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it as well