Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #101  
What DOT requirements happen at 17,001?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #102  
   / Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #103  
Huh? 10,000 is the limit for needing dot number, physical, etc. 26k for CDL. I have never seen 17k anywhere in the regulations. Care to post a link?

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #104  
Huh? 10,000 is the limit for needing dot number, physical, etc. 26k for CDL. I have never seen 17k anywhere in the regulations. Care to post a link?

Yup (scratches head) went through a DOT inspection when I legitimized the business (2017) with a local trucker fucker, asked about the need and he then told me that was the trigger....but just looked at .gov and it appears I’ll have another task this week...lol

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #105  
Yup (scratches head) went through a DOT inspection when I legitimized the business (2017) with a local trucker fucker, asked about the need and he then told me that was the trigger....but just looked at .gov and it appears I’ll have another task this week...lol
HELLO! 😮

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #106  
I think one of you may be talking truck, and the other talking truck and trailer????
17k here in PA is med card exam every 2yr

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #107  
IMG_0910.JPG

Scratch those tasks, I don’t leave PA, was correct before.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #108  
I think one of you may be talking truck, and the other talking truck and trailer????
17k here in PA is med card exam every 2yr

Yeah, I was talking combination. (Pick up and trailer).

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #109  
I ready page 1 and page 11 - don't have enough time, but I'll chime on a few things here

1. I bought a 14' back in 2013 - opted for gooseneck even though I hesitated on losing the bed of the truck (I've missed it a few times when getting a load of material and going somewhere, but I get by). After towing big loads, NEVER regretted the gooseneck and wouldn't even want a bumper on those. Ironically, as I started typing this in, a lifted f250 went by with a bumper pull dump trailer on our quiet gravel road... squatting
  2. It is just for my private use - at 14k rating plus the truck, I've been over 26k a few times when I got overloaded at the gravel pit. Asked a friend on the state patrol about the commercial regs - as long as its private use, it isn't an issue (note that the 17k above is for interstate commerce - probably not going between states and you aren't commercial). I think there is something at the over 14k load limit that takes you into commercial limits for insurance with your trailer and that is why they are always rated at 14k
  3. 14' all the way - for resale and space - not everything you get will be dense material. Yes, its easy to overload. I've had to do manual unloading first multiple times... I'm a slow learner
  4. For equipment, if you have a flatbed option, go for it. The deck over on these makes it really high for equipment. I've hauled 8k mini-excavators (one I owned and now I just rent when I need it). It works, but it is sketchy loading and I never feel good about the high center of gravity

If you do gooseneck, I love my B&W turnover - gets out of the way for using the truck and I have the 5th wheel adapter which is a tank (and weighs as much). Same friend on the state patrol saw an accident where someone ran a stop sign and got t-boned by a truck pulling a fifth wheel with the B&W and the truck was accordianed... the hitch was fine. Emergency times like that is another time I wouldn't want a bumper pull.

/ Want to buy a dump trailer, kinda torn here. #110  
With a bumper pull you can also use it with your tractor , I plumbed mine with couplers so I can hook into the tractors hydraulics. it dumps considerably faster on the tractors hydraulics than electric pump. I have an H&H 16' and it's fairly easy to overload with soil, shorter would have been fine, buy the 16' was cheaper at the time.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1