warm up

/ warm up #31  
I look at it like this... Diesels run higher compression then gas engines. Engine Block and Head have gasket between them so Block with heat and expand before the Head. You don't want to put increased stain on these two components while they are warming up and expanding at different rates. To say nothing of other components that will heat up at different rates.

/ warm up #32  
I warm up my tractor engine for 4 or 5 minutes before moving an inch. Longer in cold weather. You can hear the engine start to hum more rapidly and smoothly (and ping) when it's reasonably warmed up. I also let the engine cool down for a couple of minutes after use, before turning the machine off. Not sure if I have to do that, but the manual says to do so. Warming your machine up will help it last longer (less wear).

/ warm up #33  
Just work it gently, without lugging it. That will warm it up better than sitting idling.
I agree.
With all the gear reduction I always figured that simply driving slowly was probably the same engine loading as idling.
Note however that I don't engage any PTO equipment nor use my FEL.

In winter my block heater is efficient to the point that I actually get warm air from the heater right at start up so I apply the same logic.
LOL, window fogging is my bigger indicator.

/ warm up #34  
Never used a block heater up here in the frozen north. No electricity in the barn and both mine have glow plugs and they work fine. Start and warm up an about 1000 rpm for a while (cup of coffee a while) and good to go. When the heater is blowing warm air in the cabs, I'm good. Change my starting batteries every 4 years and make sure the connections are clean and corrosion free.

/ warm up #35  
I can see wanting to warm the hydraulic oil for a hydrostatic tractor.
On cold days, I sometimes turn my PTO on, with no load, to get hydraulic oil warming. I doubt that it heats much just turning the PTO shaft. Some people turn the steering until it goes into relief. Oil running through a relief valve heats up considerably.

To me, idling an diesel when started seems like a poor way to warm up the engine. A diesel has no throttle plate, so you’re sending the maximum amount of cold air into the engine with the least amount of fuel. Compression will warm some, but not most effective.
By putting a load on the engine (by moving and starting work) you’re at least putting more fuel (and heat) in the engine at a given rpm (air flow).

It really depends on what you mean by cold. At 30F engine oil and coolant may start to warm at idle, but at -10F, results may vary.

I start tractor, let it fast idle for a minute or two, then slowly putter out of the barn, all the while slowly bring up rpms.
IMHO, it’s important to me for the engine to heat up slowly so that expanding metal parts adjust to each other slowly.

/ warm up #36  
When we had diesel cars for 37 years, if you started them with snow on the hood, you could let them sit there and idle forever, and the snow would likely never melt from the hood. Not much heat is given off from an idling diesel engine. Not a good thing to do.

If you're starting a diesel HST in cold weather, you'd be better off using a space heater or some other form of underneath heater to heat up the HST area before moving out rather than let it sit and idle.

Really a silly idea to warm up a diesel or HST by letting it sit and idle.

/ warm up #37  
When we had diesel cars for 37 years, if you started them with snow on the hood, you could let them sit there and idle forever, and the snow would likely never melt from the hood. Not much heat is given off from an idling diesel engine. Not a good thing to do.

If you're starting a diesel HST in cold weather, you'd be better off using a space heater or some other form of underneath heater to heat up the HST area before moving out rather than let it sit and idle.

Really a silly idea to warm up a diesel or HST by letting it sit and idle.
What a goofy statement.

Really, I don't think you are even close to correct. Not idle, bumped up a few hundred rpm. Guess if diesels were meant to not warm up, the stationary diesel powered gen sets would not have a warm up cycle before assuming a load.
They all do, including the one I own.

Bottom line is, it's my equipment and it cost many thousands of dollars and I'll always warm it up before using it, don't much care what your opinion is on that score.

Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one, some stink however. In this instance, your stinks real bad..

/ warm up #38  
Our Isuzu diesel has no warmup. There's a few seconds of cool down.