Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #21  
I NEVER use crimp connectors on anything. I solder the wires and use epoxy lined heat shrink.
Absolutely agree -crimp connectors are for emergency use on the road to get you home to a solder gun

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #22  
I agree. I think the main reason crimp joints fail is because an inferior tool was used.

I've been using one of the original crimp tools made by Thomas & Betts since the early 1960's:

IMG_004230b.jpg
IMG_004231b.jpg

I haven't had a crimp joint fail in over 60 years.

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale
I use these connectors and I agree about the weak crimp. This can be minimized if the shrink bonds correctly with the wire insulation but this doesn't always happen.

The product I received does not solder and needs to be crimped. This may be the reason it is on sale.
There is a newer version available:

How Ironic; The Amazon link took me straight to the product I was talking about. And many people here went on about crimp connectors. Just goes show many people do not read the posts.

I assumed I would get a lot of pushback saying "I've been using these for years". I wasted my time posting this. BTW I got my kit and have tried it out. Except for my mistake in setting the heat gun to hot it worked well.

Last edited:
   / Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #24  
How Ironic; The Amazon link took me straight to the product I was talking about. And many people here went on about crimp connectors. Just goes show many people do not read the posts.

I assumed I would get a lot of pushback saying "I've been using these for years". I wasted my time posting this. BTW I got my kit and have tried it out. Except for my mistake in setting the heat gun to hot it worked well.
Sorry if I derailed your post but the link you posted took me to a product I had ordered some time ago. It's possible Amazon shipped the wrong item but what I received was definitely a crimp only connector.

Again, sorry for any confusion.

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #25  
I NEVER use crimp connectors on anything. I solder the wires and use epoxy lined heat shrink.

Really ?

What do you do to make a new connection to a gauge that has the push-on terminals ?

Richard

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #26  
Really ?

What do you do to make a new connection to a gauge that has the push-on terminals ?

Richard
I’m not sure what you mean? If it has push on terminals, I simply cut it off and solder wires.

im in the process of adding windshield wiper, front and rear led lights and cab light to my kawasaki mule side by side. I found the accessory push in connections under the cab. I cut off old connectors and soldered and heat shrunk everything adding inline fuses. Done, and will never have to deal with it ever again.

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #27  
I use a crimping tool like this 15 yrs ago they were a lot more expensive,that won't over squeeze the splice, cuz you over do it your damaging the stranded wire. Cheap but splice connectors don't work the best with these in my experiences, always do a brief pull test on your splice if it looks good but pulls out of wire it will fail. I also put a small dab of dielectric grease on the splices before crimping or heat shrinking probably an overkill but failing electrical due to screwed up splices on wiring that I did on a trailer, boat, or anything is a peeve of mine. Merry Xmas 🎄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224-084034.png
    Screenshot_20231224-084034.png
    308.1 KB · Views: 43
   / Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #29  
Absolutely nothing in a modern anything is soldered unless it is on a circuit board, everything is crimped or sonic welded... We use those shrink butt connectors at work in marine environments and they work fine. We use the ones from PICO electrical supply which is what NAPA and Summit carry apparently, theirs are sturdy and good, at home I cheap out but they are still the glue heat shrink type and I use the non insulated crimp part of the pliers like above (not the ratcheting type, the generic ratchet crimpers I've never liked, the only ratcheting crimpers I've liked are the ones designed for one purpose but they're dumb expensive and only work on one type of terminal...

The shrink butt connectors are light years ahead of the old hard plastic red/blue/yellow butt connectors of yesteryear especially when properly sized, in vehicles I've had I always find yellow's used where reds should be or people cut strands off of 10 AWG wire to fit in blue splices...

/ Waterproof Solderless Heat Shrink Butt Terminal on sale #30  
The connections on my in-well pump 160 ft underground in a harsh environment are crimped and designed to be crimped.

I think the big issues for crimp connectors are moisture intrusion/corrosion from lack of sealing, improper crimps, and dissimilar metal corrosion. If you take steps to address all of these potential issues using quality properly sized connectors/heat shrink/quality properly sized crimpers/dissimilar metal protection/etc crimps can last decades