Weather Radar

/ Weather Radar #21  
In my 61 years of living here, I've never seen one on the ground. I have been within 1/2 a mile of major damage about a dozen times. Less than 1/4 of a mile about 6 times.

We don't take them lightly.

Plus, there's beer in the basement. ;)

In my 72 years, I've seen five tornadoes on the ground, four of which were on Palm Sunday. A few days after, dad took me up in his plane and we flew around to look at all the damage. It was really appalling the devastation there was. ou could track where every tornado touched down and finished.
WAYYY back in the '70s, when we had tornado warnings, my wife would always panic and take drag the kids into the basement and scare the crap out of them too. I would go out and watch to see what was going on.
I love a good thunderstorm! The more thunder and lightning the better!

/ Weather Radar #22  
In my 72 years, I've seen five tornadoes on the ground, four of which were on Palm Sunday. A few days after, dad took me up in his plane and we flew around to look at all the damage. It was really appalling the devastation there was. ou could track where every tornado touched down and finished.
WAYYY back in the '70s, when we had tornado warnings, my wife would always panic and take drag the kids into the basement and scare the crap out of them too. I would go out and watch to see what was going on.
I love a good thunderstorm! The more thunder and lightning the better!
Remember that little air strip along 20? I think we've talked about that before. Midway?

My dad worked in Elkhart at an architectural firm at the time. On California Rd west of Nappanee St across from that gravel pit. WVPE and the High School are there now. He took many pictures in the days that followed. Every picture had dead chickens. Trucks in trees. A blade of grass stuck through a wall. Increadible.

/ Weather Radar #24  
Palm Sunday 1965
Dunlop Indiana
Midway Trailer Park gets destroyed by F4 twin twister.

I was 4 years old living about 25 miles from there.

Probably one of the most terrifying and iconic photos of a tornado ever taken.

That Palm Sunday incident was probably the most traumatizing days of my young life. We had some tornados in our town that day as well. It's the main reason I'll never live in a house without a tornado shelter. Plenty of incidents since then to confirm my beliefs, too.

View attachment 774035
I remember that day, I was 9 years old, the tornado passed within 2 miles of where we lived in Rockford Michigan.
my current industrial building is in Comstock Park about a quarter mile from the Swan in that was destroyed, we have oak trees behind the building that still have sheet metal wrapped around them that the bark has overgrown.

/ Weather Radar #25  
Remember that little air strip along 20? I think we've talked about that before. Midway?

My dad worked in Elkhart at an architectural firm at the time. On California Rd west of Nappanee St across from that gravel pit. WVPE and the High School are there now. He took many pictures in the days that followed. Every picture had dead chickens. Trucks in trees. A blade of grass stuck through a wall. Increadible.
Oh yeah, I used to land my ultralight there. I can't remember the guy's name, but he used to fly a C172 out of there. He also designed the pancake plane that used to hang in the KSBN terminal.

Edit: A few synapses reconnected and his name came to me, Milt Hatfield.

If I had an old sectional map, it would be on there. I live just south of there.
There was another airstrip parallel to and a few hundred feet south of US20 between CR27 and CR29, that we built back in the '60s. The guy ran a tree service and flew a C310 out of it.
We also built the strip at Kropf Mfg. on IND15 just south of Jefferson School. Bob flew an Apache and later an Aztec out of it. I could always here those 540 Lycomings when he left.

Last edited:
   / Weather Radar #27  
Oh yeah, I used to land my ultralight there. I can't remember the guy's name, but he used to fly a C172 out of there. He also designed the pancake plane that used to hang in the KSBN terminal.

Edit: A few synapses reconnected and his name came to me, Milt Hatfield.

If I had an old sectional map, it would be on there. I live just south of there.
There was another airstrip parallel to and a few hundred feet south of US20 between CR27 and CR29, that we built back in the '60s. The guy ran a tree service and flew a C310 out of it.
We also built the strip at Kropf Mfg. on IND15 just south of Jefferson School. Bob flew an Apache and later an Aztec out of it. I could always here those 540 Lycomings when he left.
When I was delivering flowers in 1986-87 I'd drive by that one at Midway. There was 1 or 2 Ercoupes tied down there. Long gone now. Hard to believe the development in that area. Funny what 35-40 years does. 🙃

/ Weather Radar #28  
Palm Sunday 1965
Dunlop Indiana
Midway Trailer Park gets destroyed by F4 twin twister.

I was 4 years old living about 25 miles from there.

Probably one of the most terrifying and iconic photos of a tornado ever taken.

That Palm Sunday incident was probably the most traumatizing days of my young life. We had some tornados in our town that day as well. It's the main reason I'll never live in a house without a tornado shelter. Plenty of incidents since then to confirm my beliefs, too.

View attachment 774035
I saw that one when I was a boy. We had been in the basement and my dad had been watching outside. He saw it about 3/4 mile away and knew it was moving away. So he got us out so we could see it and I remember seeing debris flying around from a barn that was destroyed.

/ Weather Radar #29  
Get some doorbell type cameras rigged to a HD TV in the shelter. You can watch the chaos from safety!
But nothing can compare to actually seeing the old lady ride by on her bicycle during the twister.

/ Weather Radar #30  
When I was delivering flowers in 1986-87 I'd drive by that one at Midway. There was 1 or 2 Ercoupes tied down there. Long gone now. Hard to believe the development in that area. Funny what 35-40 years does. 🙃

Here's a picture of the Midway Airport back in the 60s or 70s. There are some Ercoupes siting there. They actually flew some B17s in and out of there, lots of B25s too. hat place was a real hot spot of aviation for many years. Pissed me off when they put a Meijer store in there.

Attachments

• Enhanced Midway Airport pic.jpg
    Enhanced Midway Airport pic.jpg
    942.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited: