Weather Radar

/ Weather Radar #12  
Man to think of living where it's comforting to have a bunker in your basement. I kinda get it but still. Hmm wonder if that would work if a wild fire came through......
You want something more like a wine cuvée. Concrete all around, fireproof door(s), and a a way to get multiple sources of fresh air...

As @MossRoad wrote, I think that you really want to get out of the way. Just me.

Having lived in tornado areas, i would never rent or buy a home without a basement. Tornados are too capricious.

All the best,

Peter

/ Weather Radar #13  
Defeats the purpose in a tornado.
Something we in Washington do not have. Winds of maybe 100 MPH max here but nothing focused like in a tornado. Just bullet proof glass.

/ Weather Radar #14  
Palm Sunday 1965
Dunlop Indiana
Midway Trailer Park gets destroyed by F4 twin twister.

I was 4 years old living about 25 miles from there.

Probably one of the most terrifying and iconic photos of a tornado ever taken.

That Palm Sunday incident was probably the most traumatizing days of my young life. We had some tornados in our town that day as well. It's the main reason I'll never live in a house without a tornado shelter. Plenty of incidents since then to confirm my beliefs, too.

19752873-CF93-45E6-B7DC-E4B902655E59.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Weather Radar #15  
Something we in Washington do not have. Winds of maybe 100 MPH max here but nothing focused like in a tornado. Just bullet proof glass.
You average about 2 tornados per year in Washington state. Odds say you'll never see one.

We average a bit over 25 per year in a state that's almost exactly 1/2 the size in area.

In my 61 years of living here, I've never seen one on the ground. I have been within 1/2 a mile of major damage about a dozen times. Less than 1/4 of a mile about 6 times.

We don't take them lightly.

Plus, there's beer in the basement. ;)

/ Weather Radar #16  
You average about 2 tornados per year in Washington state. Odds say you'll never see one.

We average a bit over 25 per year in a state that's almost exactly 1/2 the size in area.

In my 61 years of living here, I've never seen one on the ground. I have been within 1/2 a mile of major damage about a dozen times. Less than 1/4 of a mile about 6 times.

Add to that, the location where most of those take place in the middle of nowhere.

If i lived in tornado area i'd sure as heck have a nice basement, with wet bar, reefer for snacks, big UPS of some sort so i could watch TV, shag carpet just because and some old neon beer signs.

/ Weather Radar #17  
Add to that, the location where most of those take place in the middle of nowhere.

If i lived in tornado area i'd sure as heck have a nice basement, with wet bar, reefer for snacks, big UPS of some sort so i could watch TV, shag carpet just because and some old neon beer signs.

Basement wet bars and entertainment are still a big thing around here. It's also a great place for the young kids to play. We've always had an unfinished portion of a basement where the kids could go wild, play with toys, paint, have friends over, etc. and not cause any significant damage.

/ Weather Radar #18  
Oddly enough, very few basements here in Texas. Soil conditions apparently make them ill-advised and/or outrageously expensive. Plenty of tornadoes, though.

/ Weather Radar #19  

Of the tornados we see they are of about a five minute duration and not the devastation damage nor duration of other areas of the US. If I lived in the tornado belt for sure I would take greater precautions. Here in my area, we focus on not being on the valley floor for flood protection... :)

I do have a full finished 2700 foot basement (you kids go downstairs if you are going to make a racket). Here we call it a "daylight" basement being that it is on a hillside with three sides open at ground level.

Are tornados pretty much a US thing? I never seem to hear of them in other countries with the exception of Canada perhaps.

/ Weather Radar #20  
I think tornadoes can happen anywhere. I've heard of them in Europe and South America.

The geography of the US is conducive to tornados. Air flowing down to the east from the Rockies combines with moisture laden air of a different temperature flowing north from the Gulf of Mexico creates a prime condition for large thunderstorms with air that rolls parallel to the ground. Eventually, it finds a weak spot and rolls up, and there you go. Tornado alley in the Great Plains. I believe it's the most active spot on earth for tornadoes, but not the only spot.