Weed Wiper

/ Weed Wiper
I was concerned about this and discussed it with the guys at Rosco. Its sort of a catch 22 where you attach your wiper. On the front your tires pick it up. If you attach off your 3 point in the rear your tires will knock down the weeds and they will not get wiped. I have been watching the clover in my tractors tracks and it appears the damage from the roundup is minimal.
After your treated the weeds did the tires transfer the glyphosate to the clover? I found out the hard way after I treated the driveway and ran over the lawn.

/ Weed Wiper #12  
I get the glysophate from Home Depot--41% concentrate with surficant, dilute 3:1.

Has anyone found recommended glyphosate dilution ratios for alternative species when used in weed wipers?

I plan to buy a weed wiper and would like to use the 41% glyphosate that I now use for spot spraying.

I have looked at glyphosate labels and haven't found any guidance.

Steve

/ Weed Wiper #13  
I was concerned about this and discussed it with the guys at Rosco. Its sort of a catch 22 where you attach your wiper. On the front your tires pick it up. If you attach off your 3 point in the rear your tires will knock down the weeds and they will not get wiped. I have been watching the clover in my tractors tracks and it appears the damage from the roundup is minimal.

Same here--my wiper is front-attached to the FEL bucket and have seen no problem with transfer from the tractor tires to the plants.
Next time I weed wipe, I'll move the wiper to the 3pt hitch and see what happens just as a test run.

/ Weed Wiper
sms. The Ag grade Roundup I purchase is some really potent stuff. When I spray I mix one and one half oz of Roundup to one gallon of water. I would try to find a farmer friend to buy Roudup from. Its not diluted and farmer don't pay anything close to what the box stores charge.
Has anyone found recommended glyphosate dilution ratios for alternative species when used in weed wipers?

I plan to buy a weed wiper and would like to use the 41% glyphosate that I now use for spot spraying.

I have looked at glyphosate labels and haven't found any guidance.

Steve

/ Weed Wiper #15  
Looks like you just fill the tube and drive until it's empty. How do you know when that is???? Or, do you rig up something to keep it filled during use?

/ Weed Wiper
Looks like you just fill the tube and drive until it's empty. How do you know when that is???? Or, do you rig up something to keep it filled during use?

I mixed up 3 quarts at first to see how far it would go and found it takes about 1 gallon per acre to use the wiper. This of course would vary on the thickness of your weeds. Also with the dye you can see it on the weeds as you pass. I would simply watch for the dye and every now and then I would stop and unscrew plug and look at level of liquid. The 3" 10 foot tube will hold approx. 3 gallons of liquid. A simple tank could be rigged up to hold more if needed.

/ Weed Wiper
What kind and how much Dye is used??

Knee, Its a dye Tractor Supply sells for this purpose. Instructions are on the bottle but I just put in a couple of squirts.

/ Weed Wiper #19  
What kind of weed? It looks like Galinsoga or quick weed. That is one nasty weed.

Galinsoga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had to burn it out of my garden, what a timely adventure. Three 30 lb. cylinders of propane and a bunch of beers.

Fred

/ Weed Wiper #20  
From the photos posted it looks like this was being used on flat ground. I'd think it wouldn't work on side hills unless 1) you keep the pipe very full or 2) the rope can wick sufficient amount up into the dry section of pipe. Anyone have any experience using such a rig on hilly fields?

Terry