welding carts

/ welding carts #182  
What are you making there?

I got an old snow plow. The guy said I could have it if I took it off an F150 he wanted to restore. It was kind of bent up and worn. First I straightened the mold board.

P1190902.JPG

P1190905.JPG

This is the trip edge.

P1190955.JPG

I managed to straighten it out too.

P1190962.JPG

P1190971.JPG

The cutting edge was worn down all the way down to the gussets so I cut some more off so I could weld in a new piece with the gussets across the joint.

P1190980.JPG

P1200008.JPG

P1200020.JPG

P1200113.JPG

Turned it into this

RustOleumOvrHaul2.JPG

Probably more than you wanted to know :)

gg

/ welding carts #183  
Besides the yellow tracked portable straighening rig, I see a red welding cart with pneumatic tires and plywood base.

/ welding carts #185  
Thats why I got a wire welder. I welded stick in the field service and manufacturing for 20+ years. Now I avoid it like the plague. :oops:
I guess the biggest trouble with keeping a stick welder that gets used only once per decade is having fresh rod on-hand when the occasion arrives to need it. That stuff doesn't stay fresh forever, no matter how you try to store it out of the elements, unless your shop happens to be in Arizona.

/ welding carts #186  
Thats why I got a wire welder. I welded stick in the field service and manufacturing for 20+ years. Now I avoid it like the plague. :oops:
Questions from a amateur:

I have a '60's MW PowrKraft 230 AC stick welder. As big as a Lincoln tombstone. And a big box of 6011 that must be 30 years old. So far as I can see still usable. I've welded a couple of heavy things, for example a hitch ball mount onto the back of my box blade. The original arc torch is fun to play with but I've never used it for anything. Maybe it's hot enough to bend metal?

Then I got a used HF MIG-180 that some experimenter had modified up to the specs (not quality!) of a real welder. Big capacitor, all cables heavier gauge, start delay for the gas, longer whip. For $25, I just couldn't pass it up.

Would the HF realistically take the place of the ancient 100 lb stick welder?

/ welding carts #187  

I have a '60's MW PowrKraft 230 AC stick welder. As big as a Lincoln tombstone. And a big box of 6011 that must be 30 years old. So far as I can see still usable. I've welded a couple of heavy things, for example a hitch ball mount onto the back of my box blade. The original arc torch is fun to play with but I've never used it for anything. Maybe it's hot enough to bend metal?

Then I got a used HF MIG-180 that some experimenter had modified up to the specs (not quality!) of a real welder. Big capacitor, all cables heavier gauge, start delay for the gas, longer whip. For $25, I just couldn't pass it up.

Some will say "yes" some will say "no".... A lot depends on the mods of the HF unit.... Personally I sold my Lincoln 180 amp "tombstone " and later replaced it with Hobart Handler 140 MIG and so far it has done all the things I require of it for up to 1/4 inch materials in single pass... Anything big triple pass.... With MIG its more about work prep then anything else....

/ welding carts #188  
Some will say "yes" some will say "no".... A lot depends on the mods of the HF unit.... Personally I sold my Lincoln 180 amp "tombstone " and later replaced it with Hobart Handler 140 MIG and so far it has done all the things I require of it for up to 1/4 inch materials in single pass... Anything big triple pass.... With MIG its more about work prep then anything else....
I still have and occasionally use my 1979 Sears Craftsman AC/DC arc welder. Very occasionally. I also bought a Hobart Handler 140 about a decade or more ago. It gets used the most. But for thick stuff, I like the arc welder. Since the arc welder can sit for 5-10 years between uses, to get around ancient welding rod, I buy the smallest box possible. It's still less than $15 for a 5lb box of 6011 at most big box stores locally, so I just buy a new box if I think I need to.

/ welding carts #189  

Make a test weld with each welder. Cut the welds apart and see what they actually look like.

/ welding carts #190  
I'd like to find an old electric kitchen oven for rod storage/ heater before welding maybe convert the stove top to a work bench. especially with my infrequent use of 7018. Roadside scrap search continues lol.