Welding Hooks to a front end loader

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #1  

Captm

Tractor
2022 Kioti DK4210SE
I'd like to weld a couple hooks so I can lift up trees using chains with my loader and make a pile. I'd like to do something that would look like the attached picture.

My question is, I have heard of people saying you need to first reinforce the bucket to keep it from bending, what do you guys think of that? I'm looking to lift mostly pine tree about 12 feet lenght.

Also my tractor is a Kioti Dk42se with a factory bucket.

Attachments

• IMG_1650.jpeg
    IMG_1650.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 392
Last edited:
   / Welding Hooks to a front end loader #2  
Put chain hooks/slots over where hydraulics/arms attach to bucket, seems to be strongest point on bucket... Not a real fan of lifting/pulling from center of bucket but its ok to secure a load in bucket....

Several threads already on forum that address this issue....

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #3  
I'd like to weld a couple hooks so I can lift up trees using chains with my loader and make a pile. I'd like to do something that would look like the attached picture.

My question is, I have heard of people saying you need to first reinforce the bucket to keep it from bending, what do you guys think of that? I'm looking to lift mostly pine tree about 12 feet lenght.

Also my tractor is a Kioti Dk42se with a factory bucket.

My Kioti bucket is pretty flimsy but I have two pairs of hooks welded on the top edge of the bucket. On the other hand, I've used my Kioti bucket a grand total of twice in the last eight years, and never once have I used the bucket hooks on it. If you desire on having a third hook dead center at the weakest part of a cheaply made bucket, then I suggest welding some angle iron across the center of the bucket or rectangular tubing in order to stiffen the bucket and then weld on the center hook. Not too much stiffener so as to not impede the lifting capability of your loader.

Alternatively, you could cut a hole in the middle top of your bucket, send an eyehook through, and then weld a rod through the hook's eyelet and then weld the rod on either side of the hole, thereby stiffening the bucket and retaining a cool hook. My Payloader has a 25-ton hook set up on its bucket like this. Looking at the photos below, you can see how the hook is welded in from the backside of the bucket.

That said, hooks are super useful and I frequently use the five hooks on my Payloader (four more hooks are welded to the inside of the bucket).

51905994348_ec0b5c145a_k.jpg

Here is how the hooks are welded onto my mostly ignored Kioti bucket.

29761932113_2d75710ed6_h.jpg

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #4  
Put chain hooks/slots over where hydraulics/arms attach to bucket, seems to be strongest point on bucket... Not a real fan of lifting/pulling from center of bucket but its ok to secure a load in bucket....
Not to mention there's nothing that stops you from running a chain between those hooks and then lifting from center of that.

As far as 'is it a good idea to reinforce it' I'd say yes if you're already comfortable with the welding and you have a suitable piece of metal laying around. A decent piece of angle iron, square tube, or thick pipe are all fine. If you don't want to reinforce anything i'd suggest sticking near the loader arms/edge of bucket as mentioned above. If i knew exactly what your bucket was like i might say otherwise but since i dont im assuming its weak there and better safe than sorry.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #5  
I wanted hooks on my bucket but was unsure of the bucket top thickness. I fist welded on a 2x2x3/16" piece of angle then welded the hooks to that

Attachments

• DSCN1083 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1083 (Medium).JPG
    578.4 KB · Views: 282
   / Welding Hooks to a front end loader #6  
I considered welding hooks onto my bucket but arrived at (what I consider) a better solution for me.
Home - BoltOnHooks LLC They were well designed and you can't get much simpler than a bolt on installation. They came with the necessary reinforcement.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #7  
I'd consider my stock bucket pretty thin, I've had no issues with the hooks or clevis mounts not being reinforced. Like others have mentioned, I put them close to where the SSQA engages.

bucket_Hooks.jpg

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #8  
I like the idea of a 2 inch receiver in the middle and welded on hooks close to the SSQA mounts. the receiver gives you a lot of options later on.

/ Welding Hooks to a front end loader #9  
Not to mention there's nothing that stops you from running a chain between those hooks and then lifting from center of that.

As far as 'is it a good idea to reinforce it' I'd say yes if you're already comfortable with the welding and you have a suitable piece of metal laying around. A decent piece of angle iron, square tube, or thick pipe are all fine. If you don't want to reinforce anything i'd suggest sticking near the loader arms/edge of bucket as mentioned above. If i knew exactly what your bucket was like i might say otherwise but since i dont im assuming its weak there and better safe than sorry.
I agree. And I’ve never had a center hook. I’ve always done as you suggest.