What are these things?

/ What are these things? #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
Just for curiosity sake, can someone help me out? These remote valves on the back of this tractor I can't afford appear to drain to small reservoirs below. (Or is that an uptake?) What am I looking at? I've never owned a machine that had them. Tractor is a New Holland T6.160.

IMG_0433.jpeg

Edit: Looks like I got my arrows mixed up, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
   / What are these things? #2  
These are reservoirs for collecting oil drip from rear hydraulic couplers.

/ What are these things? #3  
I had those covers on my old 5310. I actually installed them myself. I didn't use the reservoirs but those ends work really well at collecting the fluid runoff and keeping dust and dirt out.

/ What are these things?
Ah cool. Makes sense. They do get grimy.

But why just two reservoirs for three valves? A smaller tractor I'm looking at has two valves but only one reservoir. Why always one fewer?

/ What are these things? #5  
The setup pictured has 3 remotes the tractor is available and quite commonly equipped with four with 2 remotes on each side with the little catch bottles on each side the lines do not need to cross the rear of the tractor. They usually only survive for a few years then the drips act as a rust and corrosion preventer.

/ What are these things? #6  
Not something I'm interested in and never would be because hydraulic fluid drips are easily removable with a quick pressure wash and some proprietary car wash solution. I use Chemical Guys myself in a foam cannon. My Pioneer couplers all drip with every decouple and a couple and decouple a lot so I keep an eye on the fluid level and add when required. Never seen any 'catch reservoir' on any farm tractor before.

/ What are these things? #7  
Not something I'm interested in and never would be because hydraulic fluid drips are easily removable with a quick pressure wash and some proprietary car wash solution. I use Chemical Guys myself in a foam cannon. My Pioneer couplers all drip with every decouple and a couple and decouple a lot so I keep an eye on the fluid level and add when required. Never seen any 'catch reservoir' on any farm tractor before.
They have been around for quite a few years.

/ What are these things? #8  
Leaky hyd couplings and hoses helps to keep fresh fluid in the tractor.