What causes tractor rollovers?

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #51  
Something else to mention is the "unknown factor". I learned that the hard (painful) way. On a property that I rented, looking at a hillside covered in blackberries I saw that the top was level for turning around and the bottom looked ok. The slope itself was ok to mow going up and down. So I started mowing that way. It worked fine until one of the turn-arounds at the bottom. There was about a 10" rotten log hidden under the brush unseen. As soon as the uphill rear tire was on it, the tractor started slowly going over. I had time to consider options. FIRST option, jump off on the uphill side. Problems were hydraulic lines between that fender and engine, and 2 shift levers that looked a good bet to catch feet. Unhappily, I figured that I better try to hunker down and hope. I did. I couldn't get both shoulder's between the fender and steering wheel, so there was some crunching as it slowly rolled. (Forgot to mention tractor to old for rops.)I decided to stay on the ground and let it finish without me. The tractor (25hp) and brush hog (5')got all the way back on it's wheels still running with the mower in gear (the transmission fortunately popped out of gear) . So I hobbled to it and shut it down before calling for an ambulance, and then a neighbor to lead it to me. Now then, long story short - poor judgement causes many rollovers. ( Not to mention broken shoulders, cracked vertibrei and ribs. But the pain is a good safety reminder even 10 years later)

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #52  
When working on steep ground its helpful for your safety to switch the wheels over, IE put the left one on the right side and the right one on the left side, due to the dished wheel hub this will increase the wheel base giving you a safer turning, I used to work on a hilly farm and all our tractors were set on wide wheels

regards
Bob
This might explain it better; www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLsh5zLLQN0

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #53  
"The problem starts when someone starts driving the tractor in a situation they should not."
Yeah....you want to explain that quote.

I think your sitting back playing arm chair general.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #54  
I was using heavy equipment for paying my tuition and was driving a tractor when I was sent over to mow a steep hill near a school in the morning. Well, there was heavy dew so it was very wet and I slid down all the way to the bottom, over and over and I wonder how they managed to mow such a hill but I got it done. Well the next morning the assistant asked who had mowed that hill and when I raised my hand he went into a long "lesson" on the dangers of rollovers and how lucky I wasnt killed, and chewed out the one who sent me as he said you can never mow a hill when its wet or early morning, so my first lesson in tractoring..
Far as I'm concerned, abject stupidity is the prime reason for any roll over. Lot of stupid people out there in tractorland too.

/ What causes tractor rollovers?
Far as I'm concerned, abject stupidity is the prime reason for any roll over. Lot of stupid people out there in tractorland too.
So what would you say when you roll over, chances are it can happen...

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #56  
Fishdrivel mentioned the EM 385 Safety Manual so I found it online and downloaded it.

I had no idea there are so many spectacular and exciting ways to get hurt or killed in this world . . . and EM 385 primarily talks about dangers at work, not much else.

More important, it talks about ways to KEEP from getting hurt or killed while you are doing X.

If you download it, read it online (as a PDF) because it is BIG, if you print it out, you'll be there all day (Case # 9m46523452 - 2b, person killed when two mile tall stack of papers from printing EM 385 fell on him).

What I found scary was that I've done some of the things covered in EM 385, and even though I try to be "careful", some of the subtler risks and safety procedures were unknown to me. I'll know better in the future, and I'll also be able to guide anyone who I'm working with or who I might hire for short term jobs.

Remember, I once had a self proclaimed contractor assemble a steel building for me and when I visited the job site, he had guys working construction barefoot and without hard hats or safety harnesses. I'm smarter now, in addition to the standard two questions of "How much?" and "When?", I also say "I wanna see your contractor's license and PROOF of your workman's comp insurance." Then I check the insurance company to see if the policy is still in force - some clowns pay just the first premium and then let it lapse, but present the declarations page of the policy as covering an entire year. Lotsa varmints out there, be warned.

Anyway, as to EM 385, when all else fails, read the instructions . . .

(Unfortunately, there wasn't much there on tractor safety.)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #57  
Tractorrearturnover (1).gif
Remember, tractors are heavy and sit up high. They are used in off road conditions, where rough terrain is present. So understand that a high center of gravity is present and can turn things deadly very quickly.Its rare that rollovers happen the first year of usage. Normally its after3-5 years when you have a rollover because you have reached the point of being overconfident in your ability and in that machine. The people that work for my commercial mowing business never had an accidednt 1st or 2nd year. Now on my 4th year, and more accidents now than ever.This is because they have become familiar and confident with the machine, so they are willing to push it beyond the limits and over the boundaries. The more experienced you become, believe it or not, its more likely to have an accident than in your first years. The key to take away from this is to be familiar with a machine and be confident, but understand your boundaries and the limits of both the machine and the operator. Know your limits, and make sure not to exceed them in the realm of safety.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #58  
So what would you say when you roll over, chances are it can happen...
In 30 years I've never come close to rolling over with a tractor. Not saying it's impossible but I actually watch where I'm going and never do stupid things with mine. Of course the one is a cab unit with a built on ROPS structure (cab) and the other has a foldable ROPS which is never folded anyway.

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #59  
Warrendeer says:

"Its rare that rollovers happen the first year of usage. Normally its after3-5 years when you have a rollover because you have reached the point of being overconfident in your ability and in that machine. The people that work for my commercial mowing business never had an accidednt 1st or 2nd year. Now on my 4th year, and more accidents now than ever.This is because they have become familiar and confident with the machine"

That's pretty interesting . . . same thing in aviation. Pilots under 400 hours are pretty safe because they know they are newbies, pilots over 1,500 hours are pretty safe because they've developed safety habits and have experience. The danger with mid-time pilots is the attitude that "OK, I've got this whipped!" and they become overconfident.

Same thing applies to motorcycles, boats, cars and trucks, power tools, pretty much anything.

(There's a required statement on financial offerings which says "Past performance does not guarantee future performance." Evidently that covers a lot more than investments.)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ What causes tractor rollovers? #60  
Warrendeer says:

"Its rare that rollovers happen the first year of usage. Normally its after3-5 years when you have a rollover because you have reached the point of being overconfident in your ability and in that machine. The people that work for my commercial mowing business never had an accidednt 1st or 2nd year. Now on my 4th year, and more accidents now than ever.This is because they have become familiar and confident with the machine"

That's pretty interesting . . . same thing in aviation. Pilots under 400 hours are pretty safe because they know they are newbies, pilots over 1,500 hours are pretty safe because they've developed safety habits and have experience. The danger with mid-time pilots is the attitude that "OK, I've got this whipped!" and they become overconfident.

Same thing applies to motorcycles, boats, cars and trucks, power tools, pretty much anything.

(There's a required statement on financial offerings which says "Past performance does not guarantee future performance." Evidently that covers a lot more than investments.)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
very true. Indeed