What do YOU use to cut metal roof panels?

yomax4

Elite Member
Tractor
ISEKI TA 247. Stihl Saws Gravely Zt's Polaris ATV's State Of The Art Welding Equipment
I like plasma with a set of 20 amp consumables. Super quick and clean with a straight edge. Or an air shear but it struggles with the ribs at times.

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I used a 4.5" angle grinder with cutoff blades to cut the metal panels for my equipment shed.

Equip shed finished-1 (Medium).JPGEquip shed-3.JPGEquip shed-2.JPGEquip shed-1 (1).JPG

Good luck

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Use cut off blades in your saw , cut from the back side so the ribs are not a issue.

3Ts

Veteran Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
The guy that built my barn used an air nibbler. When I asked about an abrasive saw, he said it voids the paint warranty. I never bothered to check if that was true.

BHD

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4020
on long cuts with the ribs, one can score it with a utility knife, a few times and bend it on the score line and it will break,
my SIl will score and snap entire length sheets with a utility knife,

OP
Diggin It

Diggin It

Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I used a 4.5" angle grinder with cutoff blades to cut the metal panels for my equipment shed.
I thought about that too, but I'm not sure I can cut a straight line that way.

Must be your browser. The video shows up on my screen
Ahh, that's why. I have those blocked entirely. Had you posted a short introduction initially, I would have known why it was blank.

Use cut off blades in your saw , cut from the back side so the ribs are not a issue.
That's my current plan.

When I asked about an abrasive saw, he said it voids the paint warranty. I never bothered to check if that was true.
Well, it does burn the cut edges a bit, but I'm not sure why it would be an issue for areas of the panel not cut. Then again, shears and nibblers leave an open metal edge too.

thekkfan

Gold Member
Tractor
'17 Kioti NX5510HC, '65 Ford 2000
on long cuts with the ribs, one can score it with a utility knife, a few times and bend it on the score line and it will break,

I'm assuming you meant 5v roofing. I own the exact same tin snips in this video and the are awesome. Just the other day I cut right through a couple of those support hangers used for garage door opener installs.

OP
Diggin It

Diggin It

Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM

I've done that too, but you can't do that across any ribs which is what most of my cuts will be.