What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!!

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #11  
Inflation numbers just released

9.1% June inflation
Worst in 40+ years!

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #12  
You do know that Chewy is owned by PetSmart.

Chewy was acquired by PetSmart in May 2017 for $3.35 billion, which at the time was the largest ever acquisition of an e-commerce business.
Pet smart was the only place in town that stocked our dog food. We've since changed her diet and chewy makes the most sense as well as better priced.

My order has been pretty consistent and hasn't gone up so far.

Pretty much next day delivery and they have been really quick to credit any smashed cans without question.

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #13  
If people continue to buy from price gougers, then I guess the inflation numbers will go up. Our dog food hasn't went up much and we buy from Mounds.

Last edited:
   / What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #14  
We cook our own dog food in large batches (20 quart) and freeze it. A local butcher grinds mixed scrap meats into dog food that contains beef, pork, mutton, turkey, horse, venison, etc. We cook it up with $0.88/lb frozen vegetables, cheap fresh produce like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and whatever is going over the hill in the refrigerator, thicken it up with oatmeal, add wild blackberries or apples in season, any leftover cooking grease, and the dogs love it. The cost is a small fraction of commercial dog food. We feed a couple biscuits a day to keep the tartar off their teeth. We can mix in pumpkin if they have tummy problems, or add salmon oil if their coats get dry.

Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. As long as they get a variety of meats, fruits, and vegetables, they stay healthy.

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #15  
Chewy doesn't deliver to Alaska. We must be in a foreign country.

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #16  
I went to Sam's Club .com to order more dog food to pick up and they were out. So I went to Walmart.com to order instead. The same bags that I have been paying $21 for are, what, $111.00? I am hoping that this is a misprint and not an actual price. I would have to feed my dogs nutria meat if this is what the new prices will be.

View attachment 754064
Just shoot a deer.

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #17  
We cook our own dog food in large batches (20 quart) and freeze it. A local butcher grinds mixed scrap meats into dog food that contains beef, pork, mutton, turkey, horse, venison, etc. We cook it up with $0.88/lb frozen vegetables, cheap fresh produce like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and whatever is going over the hill in the refrigerator, thicken it up with oatmeal, add wild blackberries or apples in season, any leftover cooking grease, and the dogs love it. The cost is a small fraction of commercial dog food. We feed a couple biscuits a day to keep the tartar off their teeth. We can mix in pumpkin if they have tummy problems, or add salmon oil if their coats get dry.

Dogs are opportunistic omnivores. As long as they get a variety of meats, fruits, and vegetables, they stay healthy.
We do our own also. Going to make up a batch next week. We've been making our own for almost 15 years now. We lost 3 champion Schnauzers due to the Menu dog food poisoning in 2007. We call all commercial pet food "poison in a bag".
Our vet is always complementing us on the physical condition our dogs are in. The only commercial thing they get is one children's multivitamin once a week. We don't think they even need that, but the vet said it wouldn't hurt anything, so.....

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #18  
We do our own also. Going to make up a batch next week. We've been making our own for almost 15 years now. We lost 3 champion Schnauzers due to the Menu dog food poisoning in 2007. We call all commercial pet food "poison in a bag".
Our vet is always complementing us on the physical condition our dogs are in. The only commercial thing they get is one children's multivitamin once a week. We don't think they even need that, but the vet said it wouldn't hurt anything, so.....
9.1% my a$$. Double the number and add 10% and you might get the real number.

mark

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #19  
Doofy - that misconception - "Alaska is a foreign country" - still continues. OR this - "we ship free to everywhere EXCEPT Alaska and Hawaii". I guess you have to accept that it goes with the territory.

/ What???? Dog food can't be this expensive!!!! #20  
Has anyone else noticed an increase in dogs being put up for adoption either in the want ads or at shelters?

I've noticed lately some people trying to rehome some nice looking dogs that appear to be indoor family pets, not outdoor mongrels.