What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #21  
Block heater works a charm. Cliffy started up like it was July. No clack, temp up in seconds flat. Looks like that is a good way to go for the season. I'm going to measure what kind of draw that block heater takes and might put it on a timer or just go out and plug it in a couple of hours from when I need to clear snow.

That said, I am also starting the hunt for a fresh battery. Looks like a Group 51 is the right size. It still has the original Delkor, which does not have the install date noted on the label. That brand is only used offshore, so it must be the original. I don't see a lot of group 51 batteries available online. I will take a look at my local auto parts outlets along with Walmart. Looks like the +/- orientation needs to be considered as well for a proper fit.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #22  
For anyone who might care, the block heater uses 300 watts of energy. I have a load/cost meter and checked it. Probably best to use it only when needed. Also, in my area, Group 51 batteries run $125-$160.

Does anyone know if these machines need the Group 51 or the Group 51R battery?

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY
For anyone who might care, the block heater uses 300 watts of energy. I have a load/cost meter and checked it. Probably best to use it only when needed. Also, in my area, Group 51 batteries run $125-$160.

Does anyone know if these machines need the Group 51 or the Group 51R battery?

I believe this is the battery that I got, a Duracell Ultra BCI Group 51 with 450 cold cranking amps, that replaced the original battery, ( Duracell Ultra Battery for 28 Massey-Ferguson GC-241 Tractor w/ Loader and Backhoe Farm Equipment - SLI51 at Batteries Plus Bulbs ) , it's a group 51, not a group 51R (Group 51R battery has the positive terminal on the right hand side looking at the battery with the terminals closes to you).

Yes, I forgot, I use a heavy duty timer mounted on the wall for my 1 hour max block heater use, and when starting in the cold it does not have the rattling sound.

And my original battery is still in the garage showing "green" as good to go, but I know it does not have the horse power as 3 years ago.

Also it's 8 degrees F and still snowing tiny flakes (I call them dust flakes).

KC

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #24  
I don't know what the model number of my new battery is, a yellow Optima. The terminals are supposedly backwards for this application, but do fit OK. All of my cold starting problems have disappeared.

I don't know what the model number of my new battery is, a yellow Optima. The terminals are supposedly backwards for this application, but do fit OK. All of my cold starting problems have disappeared.

Normal terminal location for the positive is on the left hand side and as I understand it the "R" is for the positive terminal on the right hand side.

Just make sure it's a Group 51 and most important is the size of the battery along with the terminal locations (9.375" long, 5" wide, and 8.75" high).

KC

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #26  
Yes, I can see now that relying on a 10 year-old battery, particularly in a diesel (my old gas tractor had an older battery and it started it in any weather..) in the cold is not going to work very well.

Fortunately, Walmart has one of these for the same price KC paid for that Duracell, which is a great price up here!

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #27  
I have 10 tenders going now(scut, snowblower, 2 Harleyç—´, 2 generators, 2 atvs, 2 UTVs) and then I have 5 batteries from boats that I just rotate a auto charger on in my basement, most times I just make sure my boats and lawnmower batteries are fully charged and I just disconnect the positive side, they will not freeze if they are fully charged and disconnected if itç—´ a good battery and they start right up in the spring, I plug my golf cart in about every 3 weeks to keep those charged but last year I did not charge or check them and 3 blew out their sides and what a mess, that was all my fault. I did warranty’s on Exide Batteries for 16 years when I was in the automotive field and got to learn a few things and when Gates(Optima) came out with their batteries it was a game changer for batteries and that’s about the time I got out of the automotive trade.

My UHMW MF 2360 Snowblower chute lining project is progressing slowly, but I know it will be done before I usually switch the MF 2340 Dozer Blade out for the Snowblower for the winter.

Today I am going to try to finish the chute lining, and then it's out to the unheated garage to work on lining the 3 fan blades.

It's -2 degrees F right now on the back deck and we are to get a little more snow later today.

Here are 2 more pics of the project:

(next update about this project, see post #32)

20191124_144925.jpg 20191129_090454.jpg

Last edited:
   / What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #29  
Is it due to time or is that plastic just hard to shape and attach ? Be nice not to get snow build up in the chute when done. 8-15 inches of snow expected for us between now and Saturday late afternoon plus high winds.

/ What have you done with/to your GC Series 2300, 2400, 1700 Tractor TODAY #30  
Ordered a pair of tire chains for my 1705 Incase I decide to move snow with it.