What if....?

/ What if....? #71  
Keep it, I can't economically defent the loan payment of $550/month for the next 4 years for my tractor. BUT I sure have gotten a lot more done around the property, plus now I'm picking up some side jobs for mowing fields. I turn 50 this year, and to me it was an investment to have equipment paid off and then some before I "retire" in 17 years. I was fortunate enough to pay for a 20' trailer and all the attachments cash so far.

/ What if....? #72  
Have a (2016) New Holland Workmaster 50. Bigger tractor than I need and have about 200 hours on it. I can actually sell this tractor for what I purchased it new for and make a little profit off it. Ever tried to hire someone after a heavy rain, hell storm of tornado? Price and availability are the problem. 10 years from now you may still be able to sell your tractor for close to original price you paid. That tractor isn't like a horse, it only eats when you use it. Change oil once a year and buy a battery about every 5 years. (If you keep a battery maintainer on battery it may last longer than 5 years?)
As you get older and not able to lift a lot of things then the tractor will be there to help make it easy on those old bones. You own it and just remember you can't replace it for the amount you sell it for.
Mine lowers my BP by 20 points when using it.

/ What if....? #73  
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?
It’s all about the enjoyment you get from being able to do what you need without being at the mercy of someone else’s timetable.

Last edited:
   / What if....? #74  
I can afford the payment. Just thinking out loud and wondering if other members have went through this same thought process.
I used to be a Landscape Contractor. I used my tractor a lot.
Last 10 years I worked for the Guvmint and travelled a lot - often overseas.
I retired last year and moved to Georgia. I debated whether I coul live without a tractor or not.
My wife debated even more!
In the end, I have gotton so used to having a tractor,I can't live without it.
Maybe one day when my projects are all done (LOL) I'll be able to part with it.

/ What if....? #75  
Sounds to me like you made the right trade. If the payments aren't an issue for you, then selling it would cause regrets in future years. Some from the practical aspects; let's say your area gets a bad ice storm or a derecho that leaves everyone in the area with broken or downed trees and anyone who is hiring out is booked for the next month solid at top dollar. Or the area is blanketed with the blizzard of the century and every tractor is booked for weeks clearing roads. Or... you decide you want to clear a small area for a cabin, a feed plot, a large garden, or any other reason and then you want to create a nice road out to that spot. Hiring that done would be prohibitive where doing it yourself only costs the fuel.

But beyond the 'practical' reasons for keeping the tractor are the reasons that many of us own tractors; there's something therapeutic about getting outside on your tractor and just DOING something different or productive. I'd much prefer to clear my own drive (and my neighbors') than to write a check to someone else. I'd like to be the one to move those downed trees or plow that food plot and just feel the satisfaction. I suspect there are others reading this who feel like I do... IF you can afford to own your own tractor and can do your own projects, WHY would you opt not to?

/ What if....? #76  
It's a hard question to answer correctly when weighing want/need/convenience. I know that for me, having the ability to handle things as they come and not have to rely on someone else is important. I contemplated and tried the same thing after I sold my first tractor. "I'll just hire someone to clear the snow." It adds up to more than you think, assuming they even show up. I have 1/2 acre and a 55hp cab tractor which I use to clear snow and do loader work mostly. Do I need it? Absolutely not. Can I justify it? Absolutely yes. Especially since i have tenants. With enough snow storms, the cost to hire someone clear snow can easily go over the yearly payment and they won't do as good a job. Additionally, I'm not held hostage by someone else's timeline and not be able to get out, miss work, etc. (which has happened) I lasted one winter without a tractor. That's just my experience. That said, maybe try keeping a log of the times you jumped on the tractor to tackle those things you did when it's convenient. You may find you use it more than you think. Just my $.02.

/ What if....? #77  
I never hire anybody to do anything. Did hire a friend to do the block work on my house when I built it, since I did not want to lose the summer learning to lay block at a snails pace...needed the foundation closed in by winter.

Every time I talk to someone who hires work out, they always seem to have complaints. Guy does not show up, guy does not come back when he said, guy does not return phone calls, guy does shoddy work, guy seems to be a professional excuse maker...and so on.

How old are you? Sounds like that tractor will last you 40 years easy.

Come back in 20 years and tell us how glad you are you did not sell it! :)
Everything you said about complaints happened to me!! No show, quit before the job is done, shoddy work, etc..
I generally do not mix business/job with friends. Cannot complaint about friends or end up losing both. There was only one exception. I had a retired masonry friend to finish pavers for me when the original guy (hired from CL) quits answering my calls after weeks of promising to return. It was left unfinished for a few months and my friend felt sorry and came to help. He did a fabulous job finishing and correct some work from the previous guy. He is 70+ and I see it was strenuous for him. Although I paid him $50/hrs, I am so grateful. BTW, being friends we provide lunch and eat with him.

I have 80 ac of grassland with 10ac on flat area which I planted trees and vegetables, and installed landscape features. The other acreage are on rolling hill and I, being transplanted city slicker, don't want to risk accident with my little tractor on the slope. I lease it as cow pasture so I don't have to disc fire break, mow/clear the grass. Now most jobs are done I had thought of selling my Kubota B3200. But every now and then I used it up to haul debris, level lots, mowing etc. It comes in handy whenever I need something done. Not selling it.

My biggest issue with it, if you call it an issue, is that I do not have a trailer to haul it to dealer for service. Like the OP on whether to own or hire tractor, I contemplate same on buying a trailer. I figure a trailer would cost me $8K+. If I pay the dealer an extra $300 to haul the tractor once a year, that 8K would last me 26 years, may be 18 years with inflation over time. Better to have $8K in my pocket. Oh, when I buy long/heavy items, like 20' panels I pay for delivery for $80-$100. Save me the labor having to unload it when I get home.

So tractor, I will keep. Trailer I won't own one.

/ What if....? #78  
I usually get my stuff from auctions. I'll take that risk as it is the option that works best for me right now.

While I have heard many warnings of 3pt hitch backhoes damaging tractors. I believe if used properly everything would be good. If I'm willing to spend 6k on a new woodmax backhoe, then I'd also be willing to almost spend that much on a decent TLB. There are a few on craigslist in my area close to 6k but they just dont feel right. It took me 3 years of constant looking to even purchase my 1st tractor from an auction.
It isn't just the way that it's used, it's also the twisting against the solid rear housing as you go over rough or uneven ground. I thought the same way that you did, but after paying careful attention to what's going on I decided to either get a subframe; finish my tractor shed done so that I can bring the TO35 home; or get my 8N running, which has been out in the back field for the last 8 years or so.

/ What if....? #79  
I mulled over the possibility of selling my tractor and maybe implements and just hire out jobs as I need. I bought a L3301 back in 2019 and in two years after I sold it I put 100 hrs on it. Most of that 100 hrs was making a walking trail through my woods.

I then upgraded to an MX5400 and have 11 hrs on it since I bought it in late May of 2021. I bought it new and have 6 yr note that I pay $500/mo. I also have a heavy duty rotary cutter, box blade and grapple (from EA) that is paid off.

Most of the low hrs was due to a lot of rain during May and part of June.

However I started thinking of why I need this tractor. I used it for grading the driveway once a year. I used it to pick up a downed tree every now and then. I use it to mow in certain areas of my property and thin out scrub around the trees.

I did have a few very large branches that blocked the driveway that I was easily able to lift with the tractor and bring to the burn pile. That was nice although I could have used a chainsaw to cut the branches into manageable pieces to haul off with my side by side.

I could hire someone once a year to grade the driveway. I know there are people on Craigslist that will hire out themselves with a tractor for $75/hr.

What's your opinion?
I’d recommend you keep it unless you can’t afford it or are not comfortable operating it safely. With 40 acres, you will need a tractor. I have less than 25 acres and put around 100 hrs a year on mine. Renting one or hiring work done is always a real pain and you will seldom get things done on your timeframe. Tractor rentals are said to be months out, so no reason to believe tractor work by others will be available to you when you actually need it. JIMO

/ What if....? #80  
Seems you are talking a bit like a bean counter where everything has to be justified in $/use terms. Most people with a boat or caravan could not justify ownership in those terms.

A tractor and using it can bring enjoyment that does not get quantified in $ terms, but has another non-dollar reward.

It can be a little like bran on your breakfast.... If you have it you do not need it.

If you enjoy the tractor ...Keep it.
If you do not enjoy it .......get rid of it and I am sure you will soon miss it.