What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid?

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #21  
I hear this all the time from people. Your experience is near mine. That is part of the reason I swore off GM. No wonder they are in a world of hurt and loosing customers.

I am not saying other brands do not do the same thing but my experience owning Toyota's, Honda's, many many Fords, Dodge's, Nissan's, ect have all been positive. I had even had a Dodge that was nothing but trouble but it got fixed every time with a good loaner to use. Not a Cavalier like they tried to give me when I had troubles with my Dmax. Dodge even fixed issues out of the warranty period to make me happy on recurring issues that had been addressed during the warranty period. Maybe I have just got lucky with good dealers and great vehicles that have needed next to nothing.

The end result is you should not have to fight and do the leg work to get something fixed that is covered under warranty.

Chris
I'm on my third and last Duramax (all stock). I've had the LB7 and the LBZ. Not the light-duty truck I had hoped it would live up to with the LBZ. I have had 4 injector failures / replacements (LB7 engines) and the lost time away from the truck is the bad thing.

Regardless, the Duramax is normally over rated, then over worked and ends up disappointing most owners. This is a light-duty middle of the line Isuzu substitute at best. I have 4,400 miles on a 07 model (LBZ). It's for sale. :D. I'm going back to a gasser and wait for a 500 HP Cat in a light-duty truck. It's coming.

I can say nothing but good for the Allison tranny.

You are now the proud owner of GM. Thanks to your president.

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #22  
I hear this all the time from people. Your experience is near mine. That is part of the reason I swore off GM. No wonder they are in a world of hurt and loosing customers.

I am not saying other brands do not do the same thing but my experience owning Toyota's, Honda's, many many Fords, Dodge's, Nissan's, ect have all been positive. I had even had a Dodge that was nothing but trouble but it got fixed every time with a good loaner to use. Not a Cavalier like they tried to give me when I had troubles with my Dmax. Dodge even fixed issues out of the warranty period to make me happy on recurring issues that had been addressed during the warranty period. Maybe I have just got lucky with good dealers and great vehicles that have needed next to nothing.

The end result is you should not have to fight and do the leg work to get something fixed that is covered under warranty.

Chris

In all honesty, it was just that one dealer that I had a problem with. I'm on my 6th GM truck right now and that's the only dealer that I had a problem with. My current dealer has been very nice to me although I've only been there for an oil change. The dealer for the truck before my last was great and even gave me a free loaner car off the used car lot when I had a thermostat go bad during the winter. The truck was driveable but with little heat and the new one was a couple days out due to a run on Trailblazer thermostats for some reason or another. Ordinarily a thermostat change wouldn't warrant a loaner car, but the dealer found a way to take care of me. The only reason I didn't buy my last truck from that same dealer was because I wanted a GMC and not a Chevy because I didn't like the front ends on the 2003-2007 Chevy's but liked the GMC's well enough. I was hoping that the last GMC dealer lost their franchise as they were a Pontiac dealer as well but no such luck. I do hope that with GM's downsizing that they lose a lot of crappy dealers. Please do keep us updated on what resolution your friend is able to achieve.

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #24  
Anyway last month it would not warm up. He took it in and it was a bad thermostat. They told him it was not under warranty and got stuck with a big repair bill for a simple issue. Not a month later it was lacking power, blowing smoke, and idling rough. He took it in again with a service engine light on and they said it has 2 bad injectors. They are not covered under warranty and wanted $1400 and change to fix it. He took it home and parked it. Looking on the net you can get 60 HP gain aftermarket injectors, all 8, for $1600. He plans on fixing it and selling it in the spring for the New Ford. Again this truck only has 45,xxx miles on it.

So just what is covered?

Chris

Must be the warranty exclusion for WHINING... :confused:

My Dmax was running too cold as well. New thermostat - warranty covered - no problem.

Currently have 4 vehicles on the road... 3 Fords and 1 GM.

AKfish

Last edited:
   / What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #25  
I think a call to the state attorney general's office is in order.

One huge problem; GM is very bankrupt. Their lobbyists are all over Washington panning for a few more billion dollars. They claim that if they don't get the additional government handouts that GM will likely be gone by mid 2012. Dealers don't want to do any warranty work on a GM product because they have no idea if they'll get paid from the very bankrupt Government Motors.

I'm embarrassed at the pathetic corners GM cut to save a few bucks on my '02 GM. Due to pressures, GM has only cut more corners in newer models. It's sickening from the standpoint of a GM family. They've lost me and will never get me back. Thousands more GM dealers will close in the next 3 years. It's really sad. It's no longer Government Motors but now Going Motors, soon to be Gone Motors. No plan for recovery, GM UAW workers wanting raises since Ford isn't being asked to take any more cuts and thousands of other problems. Personally, knowing what I know as someone working in the market, I wouldn't buy a new GM pickup if it were half the cost of a Ford, really. I'd honestly buy a Dodge ten times out of ten tries over GM!

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #26  
It's sad- everything is going overseas. you cant get good service anymore , even with promised claims. nothing is spelled out.

We need to have things spelled out in warrantys from now on- no more oh its 100k bumper to bumper warranty - but when you take it in, they always have another excuse. Just once- I want to know what I am buying and what am I paying for. we are too excited over a new toy-err vehicle that we overlook the details of warranties and have it in writing.

Its no wonder Gm , esp with duramax motors have nothing spelled out for warranty, but they continue to push them to sell. :(

When buying things, its time to stop getting luxuries stuff included in vehicles and start making basic vehicles. Who really needs power windows, mirrors, heated seats all the time? Do we really need all the leather/vinyl seats ? we just need heavy duty cloth on seats esp for those who use as work truck.

We are no better off now with mileage compared to 20 years ago- just more electronic crap on engines, setup in a way joe blow can't fix themselves.:confused:

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #27  
Who really needs power windows, mirrors, heated seats all the time? Do we really need all the leather/vinyl seats ? we just need heavy duty cloth on seats esp for those who use as work truck.

We are no better off now with mileage compared to 20 years ago- just more electronic crap on engines, setup in a way joe blow can't fix themselves.:confused:

LOL, the **** heated seats are out on my Cheby! Only covered 36/36. Steering shaft badly popping; 36/36. Afraid to keep it!

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #28  
Dodge is really no better. Over on the dodge diesel site. There are several dodge owners complaining about Dodge/Chrysler dealers wanting to see all maimtenance /records ,recipts, etc, ( if you perform your own oil changes ,etc,) b-4 honoring warranty work

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #29  
Dodge is really no better. Over on the dodge diesel site. There are several dodge owners complaining about Dodge/Chrysler dealers wanting to see all maimtenance /records ,recipts, etc, ( if you perform your own oil changes ,etc,) b-4 honoring warranty work

That's sad. I loved the old '96 Dodge I had. I personally just don't keep a truck a whole lot more than 10 years or so because parts etc. become an issue and I don't like chasing problems. It's a good thing I love the Ford I have now. Hopefully I'll have several choices by the time I'm ready to make another change..

/ What is covered in the Duramax Warranty Peroid? #30  
The injectors are covered in his D-Max. My neighbor got his replaced free on his '03 D-Max, plus an extra $1000 certificate to use on a new car of his choice (bought a new vette with it).

I had a '05 D-Max GMC that I had zero issues with. I traded it last summer for an '09 GMC and same deal...no issues yet. I do pull a 14,000 lb gooseneck trailer with it though, as well as other heavy trailers. Never an issue.

I am very fortunate to have 2 very good dealers in my area with really good diesel mechanics. 1 of the mechanics has a D-max pulling truck. This guy has forgot more than most diesel mechanics know about the D-max's. I am not opposed to buying a Ford, but my track record with the D-max has been good. I use my truck for pulling heavy loads, maybe that is what the D-max needs to keep it running good???