What now? Disc won't penetrate

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
What now? Disc won\'t penetrate

We logged 5 acres last fall. Slash was piled for burning, but it was too wet to burn over the winter, & will do it this winter. But, the intervening areas have come in to weeds big time. When I wasn't looking, they went from 6" and 30% coverage to 3' and 100% in about 3 weeks. A mix of grass, miscellaneous herbs, but mostly trailing blackberries.

A disc I borrowed last fall before the weeds came up seemed to work well to make a fire line, so I bought this disc, a 4 ft. Bush Hog and pulled it behind my 18 hp tractor. Didn't penetrate. Didn't do much of all, actually and can hardly see where the disc went. It just rolled across the surface.

So, what now? More weight? It is not a heavy disc and I did try a little weight with no noticeable effect. Maybe more is needed? If I put any more on there, I'll need more weight for the front of the tractor first. More angle? I tried the disc on an area I had mowed beforehand, but there was no improvement. Different implement? I have a field cultivator, but it hangs up on roots & tries to flip the tractor over backwards.

Another option might be to mow, then spray. Spraying was part of my plan anyway, but I was hoping discing first would make the overall job more effective.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Richard Scott

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #2  
Re: What now? Disc won\'t penetrate

Did you weight it down properly? I find that often the weight of just 1 mother in law is enough to sink even the largest disk into the hardest of clay.

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #3  

LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #5  

I take it your MIL doesn't peruse TBN? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #6  

More weight and set disc at most agressive angle for a fire break.

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #7  

Pilot, If the ground is capable of being work ? ....not to wet & not to dry [hard]. I would recommend to adjust the cutting angle and weight. Ever heard the old saying....the ground to hard to plow?? just something to think about.

Ronald

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #8  

Pilot, I agree with more weight although it may be a 2 MIL job if you can get them both on a 4' disc. I just started discing last year so no great amount of experience but I was discing with an 8' and found that with enough weight I could set the disc a little less aggressive and disc faster although when weighting a disc I'm told you need to be very conscious of not turning or you'll pop the disc off the shafts. I was using just a big log last time but I've since gotten two 40 gal propane tanks which I'm converting to hold water this will let me handle them easier and adjust my weight according to what I'm doing by just letting water out if needed and empty they are easy to take off and on.
Steve

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #9  

Ditto what the others said.. MOW first.. then disc... You can angle the blades on many models for more agressive cut.. and can also add rear weight for more cut.. that's about as complicated as disc's get.

Soundguy

/ What now? Disc won't penetrate #10  

I go with Ken on this one. Brush hog first it is hard for the cutters on the disk to cut thru the weeds.
Then adjust the angle and add weight, if no success, then it is just to hard to disk it up right now.
Ben