What size drill bit for lug stud.

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #1  

brokeasajoke

Silver Member
Tractor
320dtc
I want to replace the lug studs on my trailer to fit a different wheel backspacing and requires longer studs. My current stud is approximately .542 at the knurl and the longer stud I want to use is about .555. What size should I open the hub hole to? I tried pulling one in and it defiantly won't go. I'm going to have to have a slightly bigger hole. Dorman don't make a long stud with the knurl I need. Thanks.

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #2  
Do you have a part number and/or proper application that the stud is supposed to be used for? Maybe it can be looked up that way?

What side are your current holes? Do they match the .542 at the knurl of the old studs?

It seems 35/64 is gonna be as close as you can get without some kind of special tool. 17/32 is smaller than you have now, and 9/16 is too big.

/ What size drill bit for lug stud.
Do you have a part number and/or proper application that the stud is supposed to be used for? Maybe it can be looked up that way?

What side are your current holes? Do they match the .542 at the knurl of the old studs?

It seems 35/64 is gonna be as close as you can get without some kind of special tool. 17/32 is smaller than you have now, and 9/16 is too big.
Yes I can get application but don't have that info right now. My current studs work and I use work lightly cause that lack about 2 threads from the stud coming through.

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #4  
I want to replace the lug studs on my trailer to fit a different wheel backspacing and requires longer studs. My current stud is approximately .542 at the knurl and the longer stud I want to use is about .555. What size should I open the hub hole to? I tried pulling one in and it defiantly won't go. I'm going to have to have a slightly bigger hole. Dorman don't make a long stud with the knurl I need. Thanks.
I doesn't know but did u heat the hub and freeze the stud?

/ What size drill bit for lug stud.
There's a thought but it'd be a bear to ever change I would think.

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #6  
   / What size drill bit for lug stud. #7  
Do you know anyone with a lathe that will turn down the new studs for you?

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #8  
Do you know anyone with a lathe that will turn down the new studs for you?
I was gonna suggest that but am afraid it would take too much of the knurling off and the stud will just spin when trying to tighten a lug nut

/ What size drill bit for lug stud. #9  
A 14mm drill gives you .551
I would think that you could make that work by freezing the studs before pressing them in, just not sure how much of a press fit you want or need.

Last edited:
   / What size drill bit for lug stud. #10  
Drill bits do not leave exact sized holes and results will vary according to the particular situation. Slightly enlarging a short hole, having an internal swaged knurl topography, freehand is a particular that is hard to predict accurately. A 0.550 inch reamer would give a virtually exact and predictable result.

Last edited: