Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
R.I.P. Shield Arc....thanks for all the help, you will be missed. :(

arrow

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3016
To his family and friends, our condolences.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Rest in peace Carl. Many of us learned things from him, and he always had interesting posts. I never met him, but did talk to him a couple of times on the phone. The world would be a better place with more people like Carl in it.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Sorry for the loss of your friend, fellas. I read his posts many times here on TBN. Always helpful.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
If someone would like to write something up and post it in the family friends announcements forum, we can make it a sticky along with the other TBN members who have passed.

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
I'm going to miss learning from his expertise. He was a real master of his art.

For those who would like to read the WW post:

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
How sad, Such a helpful guy. RIP

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
So sorry to hear this. He lived in the same county and at one time I hoped when I retired I could have him school me in his art of welding. RIP Shield Arc.

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
I certainly enjoyed reading and learning from his posts. May Carl rest in peace.

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
RIP. :(

OP
S

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
Thanks for letting us know. Is his wife still living? I believe someone said he was taking care of her.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I was lucky to have met him a couple of times. When I bought my MIG, he said bring it over... I did, and learned so much from him hands on.

I was a bit intimidated at first under his watchful eyes but he made me feel good about learning by trying and testing.

I'll never forget you, Carl. R.I.P.

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
A valuable source of information has been lost. Anyone who has been here for long enough knew he would always offer advice. I don't think I have ever seen him attack another poster or retaliate if attacked. This forum will miss him. To those who personally knew him, his family, and friends I offer my sympathy at the loss of a good man.

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
His encouragement taught me to weld.

rgr33

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 950. LS g3033. Kubota RTV 900. Exmark Lazer Z
I hope he knew how many caring friends he had on this board.

showcattle

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 NH T2210, 1988 Ford 3910
His threads were always full of something useful. I always read what he posted whether it be weld bends, his old Lincoln engine drives, to testing other welding machines. He's probably the best "hobby" weldor out there. May he RIP.

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Thanks for posting the obit,I didn't know about his injury and thought his condition was due to age . To echo others,he was so generous and patient in sharing knowledge with any that asked.

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
I don't recall which site I read it on, but many years ago they were lifting some gigantic thing on his job site and something broke like a lifting eye. The cable and hook smashed into him and threw him in the bay. Somehow they managed to get him to dry ground in time to save him but he was very badly hurt from that. Afterwards I believe he had supervisor roles and no more line work due to his disability from the accident. Someone can correct me if they know the history better, but that was the gist of it. I find it amazing he was ever back to work at all after something like that, but it seems he was that kind of man.

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
I met Carl a couple times and if I could have pulled away for a while would have taken him up on a job setup offer intro. I never went to his place, I met him a couple of events and had dinner. We ran a couple beads at a field test. He said it would be fairly easy to float to the top as they had a couple bigger bridge things maybe not tooo far off his back yard. I didnt want to commit, wouldnt have been any real skin off him and could have been shorter in hindsite but they were in a push for bridge quality wire welding and having problems getting a lot of the chimps to learn to set the wire speed right.

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
I got the feeling he might have been trying to recruit a bit hoping to leave some shirt tails around for grandsons etc. That would have been 15 yrs ago, the time zoomed but I would have been thinking about retirement from that a couple years or so ago. Right about the time he was coaching a couple young welders.

Sberry

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mostly green
On this forum it is easy to see what we see and Carl focused on welding coupons vs building and it was a hobby/vocation at this point but what is missed from here is he was a really smart guy.
I asked him when I figured out he was so much smarter than the rest of us including an engineer or 2,,, I had to wonder, how come someone so smart spend so long at pile drivers? He said "it was so easy to float to the top when the rest of them were so stupid". He managed work that was huge, budget on a footer on some of the bridges in the millions, big millions too. Lot of money pouring in one spot.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I got the feeling he might have been trying to recruit a bit hoping to leave some shirt tails around for grandsons etc. That would have been 15 yrs ago, the time zoomed but I would have been thinking about retirement from that a couple years or so ago. Right about the time he was coaching a couple young welders.
And at least one 'old' welder as well. ;)

Silvic

Gold Member
Tractor
And at least one 'old' welder as well. ;)
I would say more than one as I am a bit older than you and I was a bit older than Carl as well.
He is truly missed and he really improved my welding skills.
I just wished I had gotten over to have him help me on my Aluminum Tig welding that he offered.
He got me started on scratch start Tig and then I bought a dedicated Tig machine for aluminum.
He certainty help my overhead and vertical up welds.

I remember when he helped you get dialed in on your machine.
An amazing individual Carl was.

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Carl and I had some online disagreements that I'm positive would not exist in 'real life', in the shop.
They exist because of the internet.
If I walked into his shop with my Miller in-hand we'da been best buds in a few minutes.
That was back when 120v was illegal...:ROFLMAO:
This is like a metaphor for the dangers of social media that we all know so well today.

My biggest welding improvement came from Carl's "a series of little Js" and I'm happy for that.
Of course there's a helluva lot more to welding than that..... but that will carry on.
I've repeated that one tip to several 'learning' welders and it has upped their weld quality.
And success provides the inspiration to learn more.

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
There are welding products out there for the novice. Stick welding if you just have a 200 amp buzz box. You'd be surprised. Many of these products almost weld themselves, and get rid of porosity in the bead. I'm here to help!!!
Posts are spammy..

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G Bobcat V417 TORO+Loader
gone...JPG

but…but… didn’t you read her post? She’s here to HELP!

And now she is gone:

gone.JPG
gone..JPG

Big Barn

Tractor
More than 40 over the years. Ten at any one time. Mostly Ford and New Holland
What the heck. Didn't even get a chance to miss her...