What's happened to Shield Arc

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #181  
****. That does suck to hear. It seems like yesterday we got to see Shield's distaste for 115 volt welders and his head butting with the Sodo guy.
What a few years does to the situation.
To echo S219, I wonder if someone I.T. savvy could help him out with one of those voice thingys that write what you speak. If we send him something like that, maybe his grandson could hook it up for him. Maybe he'd still like to be involved with the forum if so? Get his mind off of things and something to do if it'd be his desire. He's got quite the cross to bear.
I'd contribute to that if Shield would welcome such.

Not a bad idea, it is just a voice recognition software package. Install and learning to use is the trick. I know he won't take anything w/0 paying himself as he is financially comfortable. Made good investments with his generous accident proceeds. I will try to get over there and ask soon. He was kind of busy last time as he had techs there installing a new heat pump system.

Ron

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #182  
Not a bad idea, it is just a voice recognition software package. Install and learning to use is the trick. I know he won't take anything w/0 paying himself as he is financially comfortable. Made good investments with his generous accident proceeds. I will try to get over there and ask soon. He was kind of busy last time as he had techs there installing a new heat pump system.

Ron

Ron, let me know if I can help as well. PM me and maybe we can meet up.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #184  
I'm thankful for the report. A good deed done checking up on him. I have a few people I need to go see, but Covid is getting in the way.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #185  

Ron
Pretty much any modern tablet (or something like a Chromebook) should be able to do that right out of the box.

Those will also generally be compatible with a Bluetooth mouse or (possibly easier if he's having hand issues) a trackball.
With a trackball he could get the cursor to where he wants and then click on the link to open it.
The ball that you move to move the cursor is physically separate from the buttons that you click, therefore any unsteadiness of hand is not a problem (Grandpa used a trackball as his arthritis got worse and a track pad on a keyboard wasn't as feasible to use).
I really like the Kensington 4 button models with the large trackball, they work great.

Aaron Z

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #186  
I understand the physical constraints, but keep in mind perhaps mentally he may not be interested in participating.

This is an aspect Ron might be more aware of.

Last edited:
   / What's happened to Shield Arc #187  
God I do not miss work!
:D

Hey, these zoom and teams meetings allow me to work at home 4 or 5 days a week. Company said today to not come into the office. Not complaining.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #188  
Hey, these zoom and teams meetings allow me to work at home 4 or 5 days a week. Company said today to not come into the office. Not complaining.

But if you’re effectively doing your job from home how long will it be before someone in China is doing your job for half or less price?

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #189  
But if you’re effectively doing your job from home how long will it be before someone in China is doing your job for half or less price?

Elections have consequences, could now be sooner than later. Close to retirement so I do not have to worry for long. :D

Back to the topic of Shield Arc.

/ What's happened to Shield Arc #190  
OK, here is the story. I finally caught Shield-Arc (Carl) at home today. He is still alive but is not in very good physical shape. Also his wife recently had a series of 19 strokes which have left her an invalid and he is caring for her the best, with help, he is able. His old pile driving accident has come home to roost badly. He cannot raise his arms above his midsection and fingers cannot manipulate the keyboard any more. he has to give up on both forums. His shop time is now almost nil except he is teaching his grandson to weld. He sends his best wishes to all and keep him in your hearts and prayers.

Overall he does not look good. He has lost a lot weight and walks haltingly. God bless and keep him. He is 10 years younger than me so at 85 I may not be far behind him. My old pipefitter days are coming home to roost with a vengeance with spinal problems, if my cardiologist allows, I am facing two back surgeries.

Ron

Thanks for the update and all the kind words about shied arc.