What's This On The Power Pole?

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
It is a line switch feeding the single phase tap.

OP
Argonne

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
From there the wire goes down to the vertical devise which is the knife switch/fuse [ poor picture ].

Yea, the pic sucks, wish I would have bought a good digital camera back when I had money. I do, however have a drone, and I feel a mission coming on.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
It is pallet tracking device.
I thought that was classified!
It's only the antenna for a pallet tracker.
They have been doing a "catch-tag-release" operation on the wild pallets to more closely monitor their movements. The wild pallets essentially get an enhanced RFID tag.

Ken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520,
If it's connected to the power line and ground, it's a lightning arrestor. See lower right of pic

View attachment 563696

On our power line there is protectors like this every house tap to prevent the transformer being destroyed by lightening.
This includes the protection on transformer. line switch.

Sure can tell the generation difference in answers . and to think this is our future leaders.

ken

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Since it is bell shaped and stood off from the pole, I'd go with the lightning drain thing. Not that lightning can't jump the distance to the pole...

Illini22

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti dk40 hst, wright stander zero turn
What coobie said, it痴 a single phase tap. With a fused cutout on the cross arm.

goeduck

Tractor
Kubota, Massey, Iseki
I so wish I was with the co-op out here. My neighbors pay less than half of what I do for electricity. If I spent $12k I could get a line here, but I'll probably be dead before it pays off.
Sure wish I had that option.

Powereng

Tractor
Kubota L2800, Z122R
Are you talking about the white dome shaped object? If so it's just a 25kv porcelain insulator. It's being used to support the phase (hot) conductor that serves your property. The oval shaped device on the crossarm is called a cutout. The skinning side of the cutout is the fuse barrel, which contains a one time use fuse. The single phase is tapped off the main 3 phase using a hot line tap, connects to the cutout, comes out the bottom of the cutout to the porcelain insulator and then over to the next pole towards your property. The wires below all that are neutrals. So the system that feeds you is a grounded-wye system. In my area of operation we run a 7,200/12,470 volt system. If you measure between the phases you with get 12,470 volts. If you measure from any of the single phases to the neutral you will 7,200 volt.

300UGUY

Tractor
Kubota L3400, Farmall H
I thought that was classified!
It's only the antenna for a pallet tracker.
They have been doing a "catch-tag-release" operation on the wild pallets to more closely monitor their movements. The wild pallets essentially get an enhanced RFID tag.

Yeah, I liked the pallet answer, but coobie is probably right, he used to be a lineman.