What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....
This is the first post of this thread from 6-11-2013 by Piston:

Bumping it to get some more methods from others.

I’ve adapted my methods since then

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_7434.JPG

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #62  
Laughing.JPG

blue t u.png

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #63  
^^^^^
If knocking down trees was addictive...you're like hooked on crack!!! (he says respectfully!)

Most measure tree knock-down diameter in inches...you can measure them in feet...

You took it to a whole new level!

Nicely done - I seldom have equipment envy, but you did it right!!!

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #64  
Easy way to open up a picture without having to back out is to middle click on it and open as many as you want. I usually open at least 6 at a time. Plus you can middle click on anything to open

it in a new window.

Also middle click and hold and it will scroll slow or quickly.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #66  
Cool..

BTW - Center Button push (mouse wheel) with also open in a new tab ;)

Midniteoy,

Seven years after you wrote this and yet I still had never heard this until you suggested it! As I'm currently resting an overworked arm, your "Center Button Push" (on the mouse wheel) couldn't have come at a better time!

Great discussion on pushing trees over, too, by everyone! I'd heard (and forgotten) about the added dangers of pushing over dead trees, as pointed out by "Piston," (IIRC) which is something I could have (otherwise) seen myself just doing without thinking about it first.

Great thread! P.S.: Piston's big excavator, in the snowy, piney woods looks like a scene out of the Discovery channels's "Goldrush." Parker Schnable--is that you? LOL

Last edited:
   / What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #67  
This is the first post of this thread from 6-11-2013 by Piston:
Piston said:
I had a member ask me about how I use my grapple for removing trees and grubbing brush. I figured rather than keep it a private conversation, I'd start a thread on it so other's could benefit as well. Not only that, but I'd like to be sure that what I tell him, is considered safe and effective among other grapple users as well. In addition, I'm always open to learning new ways of operation!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this post benefits someone and starts a chain reaction for other's to post their methods. I'm always willing to learn new ways of doing things. 👍
Bumping it to get some more methods from others.
Time for another thread bump for the members that have not seen it.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #68  
wow I am impress, I would've never thought you could remove trees this big .... I utilize two different technique, for smaller trees 6 to 8inch diameter I basically use the same technique as you but since they are small trees I bend the tree with the grappler open (just like you ) the loader is 4 to 5 feet high ( taller the tree higher the bucket like you demonstrated ) drive forward and culling the bucket up with the tilt... for shrubs since they are flimsy I have to go for the roots once they are on their side then I close the grappler on them and rip them off...

1664030449237.png

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #69  
Time for another thread bump for the members that have not seen this thread.
Adding tree stumps to the list in the title of this thread.

This old cedar tree stump measured 10 inches across:
P4220008.JPG

Grappled it with the center tines of the Gorilla Grapple:
P4220009.JPG

Raised the boom and the rear wheels came off of the ground:
P4220012.JPG

Retracted the boom, drove forward, raised the boom and the stump came up:
P4220016.JPG

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #70  
I took my tractor and grappler in the bush a few weeks ago, doing some trails widening and cleaning. I also pushed a few dead trees down. I was fully aware of the danger of this task but yet despite my best effort get the best angle and height every tree I knock down seem to snap in half and fell back on itself towards the tractor it was the most uncomfortable and scared I've been in a while... my advice is, it's not worth it.