What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine....

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #51  
This is the first post of this thread from 6-11-2013 by Piston:

I had a member ask me about how I use my grapple for removing trees and grubbing brush. I figured rather than keep it a private conversation, I'd start a thread on it so other's could benefit as well. Not only that, but I'd like to be sure that what I tell him, is considered safe and effective among other grapple users as well. In addition, I'm always open to learning new ways of operation!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this post benefits someone and starts a chain reaction for other's to post their methods. I'm always willing to learn new ways of doing things. :thumbsup:
Bumping it to get some more methods from others.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #52  
Interesting in how I do much of what the original poster described when clearing trees with my EA Wicked Root grapple and MX6000 with loaded tires and a heavy old-school 1000# box blade on the rear.

Weight is your friend.

Someone mentioned picking up the root ball once the tree is down and dropping it a few times, which works. I also raise and lower the open grapple teeth against the root ball to "work it over", poking and scraping to loosen rocks and dirt stuck to the root ball.

I would rather as much of the dirt as possible goes back into the newly created root hole.

Also mentioned was ground condition. Hard pack summer ground seems to result in more break-offs rather than roots being exposed. Maples seem to be the ones (at least for me) which crack most often at ground level, often exposing jagged "trunk spikes".

I've found best results pushing trees after a good soaking rain as long as traction can be maintained.

One other variable is speed...not meaning a running start, but rather, a mindset of slowly pushing, leveraging the treetop weight to your advantage. Sometimes if you can get the tree to start leaning, and then dig into the roots on the side under the tractor and use the curl or forward tractor movement to lift at the root, it can help topple over some of the more stubborn trees. (Meaning it is not always just pushing on the tree trunk that eventually takes it down).

Lastly, the process is kind of enjoyable and it's rewarding to knock down trees, especially when reclaiming pasture, or to thin tree lots, so the remaining trees can grow with less competition.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #53  
Interesting in how I do much of what the original poster described when clearing trees with my EA Wicked Root grapple and MX6000 with loaded tires and a heavy old-school 1000# box blade on the rear.

Weight is your friend.

Someone mentioned picking up the root ball once the tree is down and dropping it a few times, which works. I also raise and lower the open grapple teeth against the root ball to "work it over", poking and scraping to loosen rocks and dirt stuck to the root ball.

I would rather as much of the dirt as possible goes back into the newly created root hole.

Also mentioned was ground condition. Hard pack summer ground seems to result in more break-offs rather than roots being exposed. Maples seem to be the ones (at least for me) which crack most often at ground level, often exposing jagged "trunk spikes".

I've found best results pushing trees after a good soaking rain as long as traction can be maintained.

One other variable is speed...not meaning a running start, but rather, a mindset of slowly pushing, leveraging the treetop weight to your advantage. Sometimes if you can get the tree to start leaning, and then dig into the roots on the side under the tractor and use the curl or forward tractor movement to lift at the root, it can help topple over some of the more stubborn trees. (Meaning it is not always just pushing on the tree trunk that eventually takes it down).

Lastly, the process is kind of enjoyable and it's rewarding to knock down trees, especially when reclaiming pasture, or to thin tree lots, so the remaining trees can grow with less competition.

The process can very rewarding. I am slowly reclaiming my place. The land has been in my family for over a hundred years and over the last 12 years I am slowly getting it back to what is was like when I was a kid.

For my uses a grapple is the single best tool one can add to a tractor.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #54  
Careful of sticks and FEL valves, pulled the wiring out of my 3rd function solenoid a $2000.00 bill. The underside is fragile, same sticks through grapple and into the radiator/Ac

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #55  
Careful of sticks and FEL valves, pulled the wiring out of my 3rd function solenoid a $2000.00 bill. The underside is fragile, same sticks through grapple and into the radiator/Ac

I agree. I have a pretty good skid plate but have learned the hard way grill protection is also needed. A grill guard is next on my list.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #57  
Including the larger trees cut with the chainsaw, along with those pushed, I've taken down hundreds of trees, saplings and large invasive brush clumps.

...and I've got scratches on my loader and a poke through on my front grill to prove it - in spite of having a grill guard...cringed when I found it.

Now I consider it a badge of honor. Like a scar on a warrior.

As much as we love our tractors, they are tools meant to be used.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #58  
A wise investment.

Me too. punched in the plastic grill, lucky i didn't break the rad.

Someone said trees are hard on tractors. I'm learning, everything is hard on tractors if you are not careful.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #59  
Including the larger trees cut with the chainsaw, along with those pushed, I've taken down hundreds of trees, saplings and large invasive brush clumps.

...and I've got scratches on my loader and a poke through on my front grill to prove it - in spite of having a grill guard...cringed when I found it.

Now I consider it a badge of honor. Like a scar on a warrior.

As much as we love our tractors, they are tools meant to be used.

I was able to fix most of the damage. I bent the hood, metal mesh grill, and the headlights were aimed up. The only damage remaining is a couple of dimples in the hood and a crease in the grill. I was thankful for a metal hood and that the grill mesh is metal.

/ What's your technique for removing trees/brush with your grapple? Here's mine.... #60  
Me too. punched in the plastic grill, lucky i didn't break the rad.

Someone said trees are hard on tractors. I'm learning, everything is hard on tractors if you are not careful.

You’re lucky!

A wise old sage told me once, “if money can fix it, it’s not really a problem.”