Wheel Weights

/ Wheel Weights #1  
Tractor
Kubota M7060
Do rear wheel weight let you operate in 2 wheel drive more? Just bought a Kubota M7060 and this is my first experience with this type of braking system. I usually drive in 2wd with the brake pedals split for manoueverability and was driving down the raod (dirt) and when I hit the brakes the rear wheels locked and I hardly even slowed down. Very scary! Now using 4wd all the time but have to switch to 2wd for sharp turns.

/ Wheel Weights #2  
Wheel weights definitely will help. But depending on how steep the hill you still may want to use 4WD.

/ Wheel Weights #3  
Why does you have to disengage 4WD when turning? Driving on asphalt or lawn?

/ Wheel Weights #4  
Loader on tractor?

We're rear wheels just skidding?

Did you have anything on the back?

Having both gear and HST tractors.....I never really relied on the brakes for stopping. Even road gear. Engine braking...idle down. Tractor almost stops itself unless on a slope.

/ Wheel Weights #5  
Most here recommend operating 4-WD tractors continually in 4-WD unless operating over turf or on hard road surfaces.

Tractors have brakes only on the large rear wheels. If you go downhill, weight shifts forward onto the front wheels, decreasing weight, traction and braking of rear wheels. In 2-WD your braking is very limited. In 4-WD you have something similar to four wheel braking.

Some deluxe optioned M7060s have automatic 4-WD engagement on slopes, I believe. Check your Operator's Manual to engage this feature if available. Wheel weights may help 10% but for downhill braking 90% of braking requires engagement of 4-WD.

/ Wheel Weights #6  
How in the world did we survive on the farm with 2 wheel drive tractors? I guess it was because we ran wheel weights and loaded tires. I rarely use 4WD on my tractors. I rarely use the brakes for stopping.

/ Wheel Weights #7  
How in the world did we survive on the farm with 2 wheel drive tractors? I guess it was because we ran wheel weights and loaded tires. I rarely use 4WD on my tractors. I rarely use the brakes for stopping.
Loaders weren't as common place as they are now.

Back then, having a loader was a luxury. Way more loader tractors now.

That said....I'm sure many soiled pants and oh $hit moments happens back then to when you combine loaders, 2wd, and slopes. But lacking internet.....you didn't hear about it all the time

/ Wheel Weights #8  
Rear weights and loading the rear tires will help with the braking and pulling power of your tractor. Reduce your engine speed to help hold back a load on the hills. When traveling at road speeds the brakes should be locked together. Again hills require a little preplanning.

You need to have ballast on any sized tractor when using the front end loader. If you were pulling a heavy load on a trailer, for example, slow down before the hill select a lower gear if you can, depending on the transmission. And steer your way thru the slide.

/ Wheel Weights #9  
It it's flat then everything goes well.

/ Wheel Weights #10  
Loaders weren't as common place as they are now.

Back then, having a loader was a luxury. Way more loader tractors now.

That said....I'm sure many soiled pants and oh $hit moments happens back then to when you combine loaders, 2wd, and slopes. But lacking internet.....you didn't hear about it all the time
You may be correct. But the 4020 we ran had a loader. Used it all the time. But we would use counter weight when needed. Like a bale of hay on the back or a 3pt implement. My point is there are times 4WD is nice and helpful but to say it is a necessity is not correct. Just have to go about things differently.