Wheel Weights

/ Wheel Weights #41  
IMG00034-20091126-1313.jpgAdding wheel weights and cast iron wheels and loaded tires will help but still have to use 4 wd on slopes and or lowering the bucket to slow down

/ Wheel Weights #42  
Mahindra 5035HST. The dealer told me it was 1300# per tire. I specifically asked that. Rimguard is 10.7-11 lb/gallon, so that works out to 120 gallons or so per tire. Rear tire size is 16.9x24. Since that seems a bit much to fit into the tire, I decided to look it up on the Rimguard site. Lo and behold, you are correct. It works out to about 1300# combined for both tires. In any case, it is still squirrely with no rear implement in 2WD.
Still alot of weight back there. But 1300 for the par sounds alot better....lol.

/ Wheel Weights #43  
Always taught to back down a hill with anything in the FEL. ESPECIALLY on AG tractors.

/ Wheel Weights #44  
Always taught to back down a hill with anything in the FEL. ESPECIALLY on AG tractors.
Why back down? Because it puts the weight on the back tires? Nevermind, it's the weight on the back tires. And you can still drag the FEL too.
Eric

/ Wheel Weights #45  
Loaders weren't as common place as they are now.

Back then, having a loader was a luxury. Way more loader tractors now.

That said....I'm sure many soiled pants and oh $hit moments happens back then to when you combine loaders, 2wd, and slopes. But lacking internet.....you didn't hear about it all the time
Back then even if we had a loader we used common sense and had experience to understand what could happen. Yes accidents still happened but we had a good understanding of how the tractor would react. And gave a lot of forethought of which way we went on hills. The farm I was raised on was called Hillside Farm. We never had 4 wheel drive and the only wide fronts were on a G Allis and an 8N Ford. The big tractor were all tricycles. JD A, 520, 70D, 4010D

/ Wheel Weights #46  
Why back down? Because it puts the weight on the back tires? Nevermind, it's the weight on the back tires. And you can still drag the FEL too.
Eric

Backing down works on some tractors better than others. I've done it all my life and thought it was the answer, but it turns out not to be for every tractor. It's good on old fashioned farm tractors with long loaders and narrow buckets.

On short coupled machines like our JD310 & M59 try to back down and it will swap ends so fast it makes your head spin.

/ Wheel Weights #47  
You either have a huge tractor not listed in your profile or you "loaded" tires are loaded with lead.

Im betting you have 1300# TOTAL, not "per tire"
Yeah, my M9540 only has 1,500# of liquid ballast.

/ Wheel Weights #48  
Mahindra 5035HST. The dealer told me it was 1300# per tire. I specifically asked that. Rimguard is 10.7-11 lb/gallon, so that works out to 120 gallons or so per tire. Rear tire size is 16.9x24. Since that seems a bit much to fit into the tire, I decided to look it up on the Rimguard site. Lo and behold, you are correct. It works out to about 1300# combined for both tires. In any case, it is still squirrely with no rear implement in 2WD.
Since it applies to this discussion, I'll add the Rimguard fill chart.

Attachments

• Rimguard tire fill chart.pdf
    66.8 KB · Views: 53