When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems?

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #31  
This whole issue paints a picture of incredible corporate greed and a placing their profit margin above the good of society. John Deere is not a company I wish to support by purchasing any of their equipment. I think that have been taking lessons on how to run a business from Monsanto.
More likely learned it from Apple I'd wager o_O

Though wherever it started I'm not a fan of forced obsolescence - or having to ask permission to fix my own stuff.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #32  

Though wherever it started I'm not a fan of forced obsolescence - or having to ask permission to fix my own stuff.
No, that was Microsoft's game (apple hates both their partners and customers).

Knowing the amount of people who cant change a tire, know what the fuel gauge on their dash is for, or that instructions are required for a bar of soap... for the most part, people did this to ourselves. It is rather inevitable, and unfortunately it is almost to the point where I'd trust the automation over some of my neighbors "mechanical and operational abilities" because you do not want to be anywhere near them.

Does that justify the propriety access? No, that was some clown in marketing who sees the dollar signs. It is still a good and bad situation; however as service falls the situation becomes worse. If you had a problem and the tech was available within the hour to tell you what the problem was at no cost (like the old days), it wouldn't be a big issue. However "shareholder value" drives that tractor right over the user.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #33  
At what point do things become so complicated that no one wants these machines once they are past their warranty? Perhaps we are there already? Disposable 40,000 pound tractor. How's that for saving the planet....

Last edited:
   / When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #34  
No, that was Microsoft's game (apple hates both their partners and customers).

Knowing the amount of people who cant change a tire, know what the fuel gauge on their dash is for, or that instructions are required for a bar of soap... for the most part, people did this to ourselves. It is rather inevitable, and unfortunately it is almost to the point where I'd trust the automation over some of my neighbors "mechanical and operational abilities" because you do not want to be anywhere near them.

Does that justify the propriety access? No, that was some clown in marketing who sees the dollar signs. It is still a good and bad situation; however as service falls the situation becomes worse. If you had a problem and the tech was available within the hour to tell you what the problem was at no cost (like the old days), it wouldn't be a big issue. However "shareholder value" drives that tractor right over the user.
It'll be interesting to see when/if any farmers (private or corporate) eventually go after John Deere for lost revenue due to JD's design choices (as can occasionally be very publicly seen in the aviation industry).

Just me, but when tractors are pulling grain carts with 2500 bushels of crop and crop prices are where they are now -- not being able to get crop off the field (potentially due to JD's getting in the way of an owner repairing their tractor) before it's ruined by weather could very quickly turn into a very sizable loss of revenue.

...same could be said for running late (for the same lack of right to repair) on a contract that carries penalties for running long.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #35  
It'll be interesting to see when/if any farmers (private or corporate) eventually go after John Deere for lost revenue due to JD's design choices (as can occasionally be very publicly seen in the aviation industry).

Just me, but when tractors are pulling grain carts with 2500 bushels of crop and crop prices are where they are now -- not being able to get crop off the field (potentially due to JD's getting in the way of an owner repairing their tractor) before it's ruined by weather could very quickly turn into a very sizable loss of revenue.

...same could be said for running late (for the same lack of right to repair) on a contract that carries penalties for running long.
Large agri leases the equipment and does so for profit and optimization. There is no argument for revenue loss from these boys!

That is the reason tractors capable of pulling almost an acre swath of equipment exist, low labor costs.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #36  
Large agri leases the equipment and does so for profit and optimization. There is no argument for revenue loss from these boys!

That is the reason tractors capable of pulling almost an acre swath of equipment exist, low labor costs.
Really depends on how quick that leased equipment gets repaired, and what the outcome of the failure ends up being.

Doesn't make much sense to lease more equipment than is needed, and if something goes down it's still lost money whether it's a small time farmer or a large corporate one.

Only makes sense that if JD want to take responsibility for repairs they can assume the risks associated with not getting those repairs done in very short order - and if they happen to have supply/support issues, well then they have supply/support issues and that doesn't relieve them of their contracted obligations to their customers.

Personally I don't think they thought through their business model all that thoroughly and sooner or later are going to get burned (badly) by it.

...but that's just my opinion (which may not be worth much).

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #37  
"The issue isn’t actually repair, says Stephanie See, director of state government relations for the Association of Equipment Manufacturers—it’s agitators who insist on the right to modify the machines."

Farmers Fight John Deere Over Who Gets to Fix an $800,000 Tractor

I have a Sea-Doo that also has a computer that runs many operations that makes it more advanced. Sure, to reset the maintenance log a PC with dealer software needs to be attached, but that doesn't keep me from doing maintenance. I can still winterize it, install a plug-n-play depth finder, and change the oil. Can I hack the software? I don't know and don't care.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #38  
these software and computer issues along with DPF and DEF systems have done wonders for the used tractor prices in the last decade. They keep there value prety well.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #39  
these software and computer issues along with DPF and DEF systems have done wonders for the used tractor prices in the last decade. They keep there value prety well.
Unfortunately for the wrong reasons; at least ships are no longer allowed to use bunker fuel instead of low sulphur diesel.

/ When did John Deere begin the Right to Repair problems? #40  

Doesn't really matter where it started. I'd wager generic motors through their toady Corp, Delphi. Macht Nichts

I don't blame any of them for trying to protect their brand and earn their Companies some profit. Companies see an opportunity to make money and they take it. It is why they exist, afterall.

I blame the totally corrupt dirtbag politicians and completely useless 'foundations' for not protecting We The People instead of taking payoffs from Big Tech and Big Corp (same thing, actually)

I need an ABS module for my Truck. Fortunately, it's a Ram and doesn't need programming (so I'm told, anyway) which would have added about $200 to the already $800 bill. At least, it's not green. I'd have to sell a body part.