When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #112  
I'm glad you did Dennis. By the way, reading through this thread and looking at the photos gave me an idea. I wonder how difficult it would be to rig up a hydraulic chainsaw on the edge of my grapple.

I'm picturing something like a wood processor bar/chain setup, that would be able to mount/dismount to the right edge of the grapple frame, then when clearing trees, knock the tree over, grab it in the grapple, activate the chainsaw using a rear remote, cutting the tree into a section as wide as the grapple, then repeat.

Seems it would quickly cut long trees into manageable sections to carry through the woods. I know you wouldn't have much use for it but in the thick New England woods I live in it could be a pretty cool addition to the grapple!

Good contribution. Complex but effective if set up right.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear?
WOW you children amaze me ! XFAX Can take pictures , post them , and obviously works very hard . What works for him , works for him ! Richard , 4750 , dt 86, you need to find someone else to pick on . I AM RIGHT HERE .

Kevin, I didn't know I was picking on anyone. If Xfaxman thought I was picking on him he would defend himself. Him and I have had several debates about things. I don't take it personal. I'm pretty sure he doesn't. If he does all he has to do is say so and I will immediately apologize. Actually I think I already have apologized to him in this thread.

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT WHAT???
I took it to mean he was RIGHT THERE for you to pick on him. :)

Yep, I don't take it personal.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #114  
I took it to mean he was RIGHT THERE for you to pick on him. :)

Yep, I don't take it personal.

Oh, I get it now. I'm kinda slow. :)

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #116  
I don't really see any shear incorporated into the grapple, although such would be very usefull at times. I pick up thirty or forty foot long trees and then have no place to go, because the existing trees are too close together. Many times I just let them break off, but this is hard on everything and defeats the purpose of the excercise.

/ When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #117  
I don't really see any shear incorporated into the grapple, although such would be very usefull at times. I pick up thirty or forty foot long trees and then have no place to go, because the existing trees are too close together. Many times I just let them break off, but this is hard on everything and defeats the purpose of the excercise.

Yep, I struggle with that as well. And I hate to drag a log out of the timber. Fills the bark with dirt which dulls the crap out of the chainsaw. So, if it's simply debris I let them break off and then go around and gather up the crumbs. If it's good firewood I end up blocking it in the timber and then carrying it to the split pile. Adds another function to the process.

I don't really see any shear incorporated into the grapple, although such would be very usefull at times. ----------------------
It is not designed to be a shear, I just used it as a shear.
Look at these shears, note how one blade slides past the other:

AC150468l.jpg

Look at the grapple, note how the top tine slides past the lower tine:

P1260010.JPG

P4090040.JPG

That is how it sheared the trunk. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / When is a Grapple a Tree Shear? #119  
That first shear. Do the straps go around ones ankles? Probably good for light brush only.

Still don't really understand your other picture. So you didn't cut off a log, you kind of shredded a stump if I understand correctly using the inter-twining teeth of the grapple.

That first shear. Do the straps go around ones ankles? Probably good for light brush only.

Still don't really understand your other picture. So you didn't cut off a log, you kind of shredded a stump if I understand correctly using the inter-twining teeth of the grapple.

The first shear is held in your hand.

To understand the other pictures you have to click "First" at the top or bottom of this page and read the first post.