Which Backpack Blower?

/ Which Backpack Blower? #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
I have the biggest Echo backpack blower... 80ccs. It's great when it's working. I need it for the power to blow off my woods trails, even when the leaves are a little wet.

I have to have a carried/backpack model, because many of the trails are too steep to use any of the wheeled models, even if that would work.

The Echo is going back to the shop for the second time. It was covered under warranty, but it was gone for months last time.

I've also killed a Stihl 60cc model... it seemed to go the same way. I think the main bearing went south and seized.

Yes, I run the recommended oil in them, and I use them for long hours at a time, but not like I imagine a yard service would. I just don't know why I'm killing them.

Has anybody tried the RedMax? I haven't tried them yet.

Thanks.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #2  
What oil are you running and at what ratio?

/ Which Backpack Blower? #3  
I bought a used a Red Max backpack blower (I think the 5150) about 10 years ago, used it for 6 years and passed it on to my son who is still using it. All residential use. Still runs like it did the day I bought it, and is built like a tank. I actually bought a Ryobi backpack blower because it is much lighter than the Red Max. But that used Red Max will likely outlast my new Ryobi.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #4  
I have a redmax 8500 and I had a 6500 before that. I’ve had good service out of both of them my only complaint is the harness isn’t very comfortable.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #5  
"Long hours at a time", I'm sure she's getting hot and at the recommended 50:1? I can see why ur having bearing issues. Go to 40:1 and shorten the run time

/ Which Backpack Blower?
On the previous Stihl, I was mixing 3.2 oz/gallon with Valvoline 2 cycle oil - 40:1

On this Echo, I'm using the Echo branded oil at the recommended ratio of 2.6 oz/gallon - 50:1 because that's what the dealer recommended after the same inquiry. (They accuse me of not putting oil in them.)

But every other piece of 2-stroke equipment, chainsaws, dirtbikes, trimmers, saws, etc. last me forever, with zero engine problems. My 2-stroke weed whackers get used up completely until their components wear out while their engines still run like new (same speech I've given to the dealer)... so yes, I don't have trouble with any other 2-strokes... just these blowers.

/ Which Backpack Blower? #7  
Running them full throttle should not knock a bearing out of them or overheat them. We run Echo's and Stihl's here and use them lots. Something else is happening but i can not tell you what.

Last edited:
   / Which Backpack Blower? #8  
Running them full time should not knock a bearing out of them or overheat them. We run Echo's and Stihl's here and use them lots. Something else is happening but i can not tell you what.
I completely agree.. We run (3) Echo's & never have any issues with them... We run them full out for hours on end when needed... They always start easy & run flawlessly.... (& my guys aren't easy on tools / equipment).... not sure what's happening...

/ Which Backpack Blower? #9  
I have had good luck with the Echo blowers. I like Red Line synthetic oil at 40:1. I also like to run a little rich on the high end to help with cooling.