which cnc plasma

/ which cnc plasma #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have been thinking about getting a cnc plasma table for a few years now. When I first started looking the machines where $10grand and I just couldnt justify the purchase, but prices seem to be coming down quite a bit now. While i dont plan on making a business with the machine, it would be nice to have one for some of the stuff I do. I still cant really justify having one, but i want it, so who cares if it would collect dust more than it would be used. (My wife isnt watching me type that). Anyways, I am thinking a 2x4 table would fit my needs better than the 2x2's so that is the direction I am looking. Been looking at the Torchmate as well as the PlasmaCam machines, but like to hear for those folks that actually own one. Give me the plus and minus of these machines and other brands as well. I have a miller spectrum 35amp plasma cutter, but plan on upgradeing to at least a 50amp in the near future.

/ which cnc plasma #2  
I just did a quick comparison between the two. I like the closed loop servo on the Plasmacam vs the stepper motors on the Torchmate. The software on the TM is more conventional vs the PC. Don't overlook the software aspect as this is what makes or breaks ANY cnc controlled machine tool.

/ which cnc plasma
Yea, the software aspect is what has been holding me back. I cant seem to get any of the drafting sofeware to work right. Torchmate is holding a 2 day training class in Reno NV., Dec. I thought about attending, but 2300+miles would mean 4 days driving out and 4 days back for a total of 10days. I would have as much invested in travel expenses as I would the machine. I might get the wife to go along with taking the trip, provided she gets to go to, but she would certainly balk at buying a machine. Got to keep her in the dark on this one.

/ which cnc plasma #4  
I have a 4' x 8' Tracker. I paid around $9,000.00 for it. I flew to Detroit, rented a car and drove to London Ontario to Ken's house to watch one work before buying it.
I haven't even turned it on in years!:eek:
ProTable CNC Plasma Cutters by Tracker CNC

Attachments

• After cooler.jpg
    After cooler.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 232
  • 3 horses.jpg
    3 horses.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Buck.JPG
    Buck.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Hound cub.jpg
    Hound cub.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Oval.jpg
    Oval.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 228
   / which cnc plasma
I just spent the last hour reading a metal art forum about torchmate vs plasma cam. Wow, my head hurts, but I did learn a few things. Really, learning the software is my biggest worry. From what I have read, the manufacturers make it look simple, but it isnt really. I guess once you master it, it is easy. One thing that made my mind kind wonder was all the problems folks have had with various machines. Interrupted cutting, crashing, dust, dropping steel on the table. I sort of got to thinking that most of the problems where operator error. Seriously, you drop a piece of metal on the table and now the machine dont work right. Hows that the manufacturers problem. I suspect the cutting interrupts might be because because the torch senses voltage thru the cutting tip and just a little moisture can screw that up. Not to mention rust, paint or other contaminates. One thing for sure, there are a lot of very opinionated owners of this type of equipment and it either love it or hate it, not much middle ground.

/ which cnc plasma #6  
I know years ago Plasma Cam had some software issues. Can't say I ever heard a bad word about Tourchmate. Other than from the owner of Tracker. When he started building CNC tables he named them Torchmate. Torchmate sued him and won. So Ken had to change the name to Tracker.

I built a spreader bar, and use 6 suction cups to load the plates with my bridge crane.
One thing you'll want is a water tank real tight to the cutting grates. Cuts down on the smoke!;)

/ which cnc plasma #7  
Fabtech is coming to Chicago in November. Anything to do with welding or fabricating will be there. Might be worth the trip to get up close to the machines you are interested in. FABTECH - Chicago 2015

/ which cnc plasma #8  
I have the dynatorch 4x8 table. I use it alot. Just cut a bunch of aluminum sheet last week for a guy msking a gold dredge.

Mine used a automatic torch height sensor coupled with a laser. Knows where materisl is. Can even easily cut diamond plate.

Software isnt ever easy. I either use autocad or coral draw for artwork. Then have to export as a bmp to a program called vextracor. That creates the exterior surface drawing guide and saves it as a .dxf file. This is the trace file

Next i place it in a program called Enroute. This program automatically sets the cut order, installs the start and stop points including lead in and lead outs. It also nests all my work by rotating it thru 360 degrees to use the least smount of steel. Was an exoensive piece of software, but saves mucho time.

/ which cnc plasma
I ran across a 4x8 dynatorch with powermax45 for $13500. I really cant put a machine of that size in my little shop, and that a little more money than I have to spend.

/ which cnc plasma #10  
I ran across a 4x8 dynatorch with powermax45 for $13500. I really cant put a machine of that size in my little shop, and that a little more money than I have to spend.
i just like the convienence of the large table. I have about $20k invested in mine. Kinda spendy, but i use it alot.