which tree pulling tools?

/ which tree pulling tools?
   / which tree pulling tools? #12  
I've been thinking of making a small tree clamp attachment for my backhoe to yank small stuff from 0.25 to 1.00 inch diameter. I'm still thinking about the best jaw design for small skinny stuff, the last thing I want to do is pinch off the stem. I find when I pull stuff by hand I often strip off the bark instead of yanking things out by the roots.

Do any of you have good experiences with a clamp design that works well on the small stuff?

/ which tree pulling tools? #13  
I've been thinking of making a small tree clamp attachment for my backhoe to yank small stuff from 0.25 to 1.00 inch diameter. I'm still thinking about the best jaw design for small skinny stuff, the last thing I want to do is pinch off the stem. I find when I pull stuff by hand I often strip off the bark instead of yanking things out by the roots.

Do any of you have good experiences with a clamp design that works well on the small stuff?

Google Image Result for https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/942e1bf8-14eb-484c-92d2-9fb26d63eb8a/svn/klein-tools-pulling-grips-support-tools-164-2l-64_1.jpg

May not work on trees, good for wire and cables.

/ which tree pulling tools? #15  
I've been thinking of making a small tree clamp attachment for my backhoe to yank small stuff from 0.25 to 1.00 inch diameter.

At that small size, forget the stem,, simply touch a root with a tooth, the whole plant comes out,,

/ which tree pulling tools? #16  
At that small size, forget the stem,, simply touch a root with a tooth, the whole plant comes out,,
I have small sucker trees, usually poplar or Green ash, growing right beside a full grown tree I want to keep. I cant pull by hand, cutting just prolongs the problem, and my 24 inch ditching bucket is too big for tight spots. Basically I want to get into tight spots and selectively yank small suckers. I wish the tree weeds would just fall out when touched...

I have small sucker trees, usually poplar or Green ash, growing right beside a full grown tree I want to keep. I cant pull by hand, cutting just prolongs the problem, and my 24 inch ditching bucket is too big for tight spots. Basically I want to get into tight spots and selectively yank small suckers. I wish the tree weeds would just fall out when touched...

We have invasive buck-thorn here and little shoots everywhere. This is the reason we are getting the Pullerbear tool.

/ which tree pulling tools? #18  
On something THAT small, use a spade! ----- OR spray brush killer on them. If there that bad---nothing else will grow there anyway.

/ which tree pulling tools? #19  
Hey ArlyA,

I have the Extractagator with the "Big Foot" base on it. Works very well on stuff about 1.5" and less. It will give you a workout, especially if you're an old fat guy like me! My only complaint is that the handle could be about 6" longer for a bit more leverage. I've had mine for several years though, so they may have a newer model out.

When I bought mine I looked at the Extractagator, the long handled Brush Grubber and another one similar to the Extractagator whose name escapes me now. Interestingly, I had found a website that compared all three and that person recommended the Extractagator.

I also have a Brush Grubber BG-8. That also works well hooked up to a tractor or a Jeep. I never tried it hooked up to the ATV that I owned for a short while, but have seen videos of people doing that. Again, it works well, but the constant on and off the pulling vehicle gets tiring. Definitely a lot quicker if you have a second person.

For the bigger stuff, I also have a Notch Tree Puller for the tractor.

EDIT: SORRY - didn't realize that this thread went to a second page and that you had already purchased something.

Last edited:
This is helpful Mark. Thanks. I will do a report on it after it goes into use. You are one of the few who use them here. :thumbsup:

Hey ArlyA,
I have the Extractagator with the "Big Foot" base on it. Works very well on stuff about 1.5" and less. It will give you a workout, especially if you're an old fat guy like me! My only complaint is that the handle could be about 6" longer for a bit more leverage. I've had mine for several years though, so they may have a newer model out.

When I bought mine I looked at the Extractagator, the long handled Brush Grubber and another one similar to the Extractagator whose name escapes me now. Interestingly, I had found a website that compared all three and that person recommended the Extractagator.

I also have a Brush Grubber BG-8. That also works well hooked up to a tractor or a Jeep. I never tried it hooked up to the ATV that I owned for a short while, but have seen videos of people doing that. Again, it works well, but the constant on and off the pulling vehicle gets tiring. Definitely a lot quicker if you have a second person.

EDIT: SORRY - didn't realize that this thread went to a second page and that you had already purchased something.