Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide.

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide.
Ordered my Wicked 60" over the weekend. They said it would be probably 12 weeks. That's ok cause I won't be using until spring anyway. Love the pictures that Ted posted.
You all have a Merry Christmas
Scott

Way to plan, sir! Thanks for the business and we wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!
Travis

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #72  
This is my first post on this forum, lurked for some time, and have enjoyed picking up the knowledge that has been shared. I've spent quite a little bit of time looking through other threads on the topic of grapples, but this seems like the best place to ask this.

I quite like the EA Wicked Root Rake Grapples. I have 80 acres that I have created trails and a few larger areas that I'm working on clearing for food plots. I like the idea of removing 4-6" Jack Pines and the stumps using the root rake. The land was clear cut about 25-30 years ago and I still have some large slash piles that I'd like to pull apart and eventually burn. The piles are at the edge of a small field, but too close to the woods for me to feel comfortable burning them.
Thinking about the slash piles and brush leads me to considering the EA Xtreme Root Rake Grapple, with it's slightly longer tines, which may penetrate the piles better..

I have a Farmall 50C. The dimensions of the tractor are identical to the Farmall 40C, as far as weight, width, etc.

I've been considering the EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple, but I see it is intended for up to 40hp tractors, which is why I mention my 50C sharing the dimensions with the 40C. I wasn't sure if the rating was to reflect the heavier tractors when you get over the 40hp, or the potentially stronger loader, (likely both).

Watching the video with Ted and Peanut using the 55" on the 60hp Kubota L6060 leads to me to think that it would do quite well on my 46hp 50c tractor for what I intend to use it for, brush and roots, I don't have much for rocks.

Cost is a factor to me, which is why I'm curious if the 55" would be sufficient. The 60" comes with a little more weight, strength, and of course a larger price tag. Jumping to the 60" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, then puts the Extreme Root Grapple in the picture with minimal difference in cost between those two.

So, a big decision looms; I would appreciate any advice. And thanks for letting me join in on the conversation!

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #73  
I use my 55" wicked on a 48hp Branson and a 25hp Kioti. No problem so far. I think the 55 will work well on the Farmall 50C. Welcome to TBN!

This is my first post on this forum, lurked for some time, and have enjoyed picking up the knowledge that has been shared. I've spent quite a little bit of time looking through other threads on the topic of grapples, but this seems like the best place to ask this.

I quite like the EA Wicked Root Rake Grapples. I have 80 acres that I have created trails and a few larger areas that I'm working on clearing for food plots. I like the idea of removing 4-6" Jack Pines and the stumps using the root rake. The land was clear cut about 25-30 years ago and I still have some large slash piles that I'd like to pull apart and eventually burn. The piles are at the edge of a small field, but too close to the woods for me to feel comfortable burning them.
Thinking about the slash piles and brush leads me to considering the EA Xtreme Root Rake Grapple, with it's slightly longer tines, which may penetrate the piles better..

I have a Farmall 50C. The dimensions of the tractor are identical to the Farmall 40C, as far as weight, width, etc.

I've been considering the EA 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple, but I see it is intended for up to 40hp tractors, which is why I mention my 50C sharing the dimensions with the 40C. I wasn't sure if the rating was to reflect the heavier tractors when you get over the 40hp, or the potentially stronger loader, (likely both).

Watching the video with Ted and Peanut using the 55" on the 60hp Kubota L6060 leads to me to think that it would do quite well on my 46hp 50c tractor for what I intend to use it for, brush and roots, I don't have much for rocks.

Cost is a factor to me, which is why I'm curious if the 55" would be sufficient. The 60" comes with a little more weight, strength, and of course a larger price tag. Jumping to the 60" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, then puts the Extreme Root Grapple in the picture with minimal difference in cost between those two.

So, a big decision looms; I would appreciate any advice. And thanks for letting me join in on the conversation!

Welcome to the party, GMAK. Better late than never!! :drink:

Here's my opinion. Even though we tested it for several hours on our L6060 and have made quite a few enhancements since unveiling the 240 pound Wicked 55 a few years back, I always recommend the 400 pound Wicked 60 for an L4701, Grand L4060 and L6060(in Kubota terms) because of the weight and rated lift capacity, which translates into ability.

On paper, your 50c and our L6060, other than a few horses, spec out fairly close in the weight and capacity dept. I think the added ~160 pounds of the Wicked 60 will benefit you, in the long run, with the added 3rd hinge point for the lid, thicker 3/8" material and thicker DOM round tubing for lid rigidity.

Guys with tractors like that, wanting a 55, is the real reason we were pushed to develop the 60. It is $655 more, but I think those will be dollars well spent.

I keep the floor open to discussion, but that's my :2cents:.
I hope this helps.
Travis

In Kubota terms(again), this L3560 or an L4060 is usually at the top of my recommendation for the 55. This dude is probably hangin around TBN somewhere!
KubotaL3560tbn4.jpg

This guy, with his L4060 wanted the extra beef for rougher use, so he chose the 60..
KubotaL4060ellis5.jpg

An MX, L6060 and Farmall 50 :) can go full blown beast mode with a 60. All Wicked root rake grapples keep the load incredibly close to the pivot pins, which really helps to maximize ability!

Here's a DX55 flexing its Wicked 60 muscles..
CaseDX55mathison4s.jpg

CaseDX55mathison5s.jpg

CaseDX55mathison6s.jpg

And some more orange guys with the 60..
MXs.jpg

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #75  
Thank you for the information Ted. You've added good information that I have to chew on.

I really just wish the 60" wasn't $655 more than the 55"! I didn't say it wasn't justified, only that I WISH it didn't. :)

Thank you for the information Ted. You've added good information that I have to chew on.

I really just wish the 60" wasn't $655 more than the 55"! I didn't say it wasn't justified, only that I WISH it didn't. :)

Hey, the 60 is less per pound. $6.63 vs $8.31 :laughing:

I'm Travis, but this week you can call me Santa Travis! :cool:

santaEE.jpg

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #77  
...this week you can call me Santa ...

LoL.. the folks at Dos Equis might call you copyright/trademark violator....!

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #78  
I picked up my wicked 55 at the freight terminal late yesterday. When I got back from hunting this morning, I put it on the tractor. Too wet to go to the woods with it, but just piddling around the shop with it, I can see where this was money well spent. With my v-type tree cutter and this grapple, I'll have shooting lanes looking like a wagon wheel at my deer stand.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 115
   / Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #79  
That is my L3560 with the power poles. The L3560 and the 55 Wicked has been a great combo.

Here it is holding onto part of an old pull behind combine that we were loading on a trailer to take to the scrap yard.
20201221_113915.jpg

Here I'm teaching my grand-niece how to operate the grapple. After a few minutes of lessons and with close supervision, she was picking up old power poles and moving them around.
20201223_105445.jpg

/ Which WICKED Grapple? A Guide. #80  
I'm taking delivery of a new MX5400 in the next week or three. It's getting a third function installed at the dealer for a grapple... which leads me here.

My property is COVERED UP with privet - this stuff is rather invasive and just takes over. It grows in clumps and reaches 25+ feet in height. My L3901 struggled mightily with the larger clumps using the FEL and a tooth bar but I think the MX5400 with a grapple will be up to the task.

I'm thinking the 60" Wicked Root Rake Grapple but wanted to bounce the idea here before ordering. In addition to uprooting and hauling out a few acres of privet, the grapple will be used for generic duties around the property.

I have also debated the one lid or two lid topic. Is there one similar to the Wicked 60" Root Rake with dual lids?

privet.JPG