Whole House Generators

/ Whole House Generators #1  

DocHeb

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D Supersteer
We're considering an automatic transfer switch and natural gas backup generator for our new house under construction. I'd really like the automatic switch since there will be blocks of days when nobody will be home - and in Michigan the ice storms and thunderstorms are killers for rural electrical service. Does anyone have a permanent, whole house generator? If so, which brand? any problems? any thoughts?

/ Whole House Generators #2  
The Home Depot in Baton Rouge has Generac Nat-Gas / LP Skid Mount Generators with auto transfer switch for less than $3000.00

Try an internet search on Generac Guardian.

/ Whole House Generators #3  
The only thing I have ever heard of was someone with a generator having the power go off while they were away and the generator kicking on. The auto transfer switch didn't kick off for some reason when the power returned, so the generator ran for several extra days. It is probably a good idea to look into a system that either checks on the generator status periodically or sends out a notification periodically so that you will know if it is running, or you are on main power. Also, I would install the generator away from the house in a small outbuilding for fire protection in case it burns up, and for noise reduction. That is what I plan to do some day, when we build. For now, our generator is a small manual start unit.

/ Whole House Generators #4  
Chris

Onan makes an excellent generator and switch. The critical thing is the switch should be UL listed. Most jurisdictions require a UL listed switch, and for good reason.

RonL

/ Whole House Generators #5  
Onan & Kohler both make excellent plants for the purpose you stated.
Generac and Coleman make immitations of generators that you will be sorry you bought.
Any plant you consider should have a transferr pannel that not only switches the load, but exercizes the generator regularly as well.
A couple other things you need to consider are propane tank size, and oil change. House size generators should not run faster than 1800 rpm, and the oil should be changed after 40 hours of operation. 3600 rpm machines do NOT have the capacity to start pumps and compressors without the engine doing a lot of extra work. Hi speed machines do not start motor loads as well as 1800 rpm machines because they have less rotating mass and therefore less inertia.
You should also install a notification system that will let you know when the genset takes over, and drops off. This will enable you to have someone keep an eye on the genset.
I recently learned, at the worst point in time, new furnaces do not work if the genset output is off frequency by more than 2Hz in either direction.
Another thing you need to be aware of, make sure your propane supplier will maintain your tank sufficiently full to keep your genset running for the duration of any expected outage. Large propane tanks are nice, but remember, propane tanks loose content at about 10% a year thru leakage. This is a known industry fact, but they don't like the buyer knowing it.
If you are even considering buying from Level Propane, quickly find another propane supplier. Level LIES CHEATS & STEALS FROM CUSTOMERS!!

/ Whole House Generators #6  
Check with your electric company before you do this. They may have a restriction on their use if you cannot be sure your house is isolated from the grid when its running. The reason is you could kill a lineman working on a line they think is dead. You will be liable for any injuries. It happened around here about two years ago.
What a tragedy. Good luck, ric

/ Whole House Generators #7  
Franz
<font color=blue> I recently learned, at the worst point in time, new furnaces do not work if the genset output is off frequency by more than 2Hz in either direction.</font color=blue>
What type of furnace do you have that requires this precise frequency control?
I have a new 90+ 2 Stage Variable Speed American Standard furnace. That runs very well on my Honda 4000 watt generator.

/ Whole House Generators #8  
I have a new oil fired boiler in the house, I installed in October. I LEARNED quick that the controls on the Becket burner are now a computer chip driven device, rather than the old relay operated system. My main generator was running at 66Hz, and that was sufficient to screw up the timing of the burner firing. The easy tipoff to the problem was when I noticed the clocks in the house gaining speed.

/ Whole House Generators #9  
Franz
Thanks. I'll have to watch the clocks the next time I use my generator. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ Whole House Generators #10  
Re:generator frequency

about generator frequency: you can get a frequency meter from radio shack or you can buy a multimeter from harbor freight that has frequency capability, i have used both, the radioshack meter just plugs into an outlet. this will let you check your frequency without difficulty and adjust motor rpm for max utilization, and frequency stability under various loads.

i have used this on my generators, my pto generator has one built in so it can be utilized continuously. they are very helpfull in adjusting your generator speed, and in setting your pto generator throttle. i usually set my speed about 1.75% above 60hz and this will compensate for different loads as they change and still remain in an acceptable range to run all equipment safely.

as far as the different names in generators, i think that manufacurers make different grades of equipment some light use, some industrial type units, i have had coleman, winco, generac, some cheap light use units and some high grade industrial units, i would not use a blanket statement of any brand is bad, they are built for an intended use, if you try to exceed the intended use they will fail, just like any other tool.

as fqar as the built in units, some come with transfer switches, some dont, most transfer switches will excercise your generator weekly which is a good thing, keeps the battery charged, and the internals lubricated. i have not seen any of these units that are light weight in construction. as far as the 1800 vs 3600 rpm generators, this seems to apply mostly to diesel generators, as the wear on the motor is much less as they will turn slower. i have looked over these units and decided to stay with a portable generator as i would be able to use it on my various buildings depending on need. i understand your need is different than mine and that you are more concerned about freezing pipes etc. when you arent at home.

good luck with your choice,

alex