Why are hoses hard to connect???

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #21  
Just bump the ball check of the male part on the plow to relieve pressure and connect. Sometimes I connect several things a day. None of it is nice and new.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect???
Thanks. Good suggestions I'll try.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #23  
Several thoughts and considerations for hard to couple quick connectors.
Yes, if I'm having difficulty getting one connected I will take the fitting and press it against something to release the pressure.
This often helps as does making sure the tractor has no residual pressure in the connections.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and is especially relevant in winter usage is icing and freezing while in use and then switching implements.
Often the locking collars will have ice built up in them, some times you can thaw them by wrapping your hand around them.
More often if I'm close to power just a few seconds with a heat gun, or lacking that a propane torch will thaw them to were they easily connect.

I recently broke down and purchased a cordless heat gun to leave in the tractor just for this purpose.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #25  
I think they guys are right: It is pressure preventing the coupling and unscrewing the connector of course relieves that pressure.

I am puzzled however by the picture you provided on the orig post. That connector says Pioneer stamped right on it. Typically 'Pioneer' connectors are "shove hard or pull hard" to attach or to detach. I always called them "AG connectors" too. Thus they have no sleeves to take the spring pressure off of ball bearings. Considerably cheaper than the flat-face skid-steer styles. I am confused by that photo and the several descriptions of your experience.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #26  
Heres what you do:
After you disconnect them from tractor, take the implement-side hoses and connect them. Then disconnect them. A little fluid will be released. Then reconnect them. Now you have a small expansion space for the next time the fluid expands from temp/pressure increases. It also keeps both your hydraulic ends nice and clean and protects them
And it just takes a drop or two of loss to solve the problem.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #27  
Most all the previous suggestions are good and valid. I used to have the same issues until I bought some replacement couplers from Summit Hydraulics ( ). Their 10,000 PSI HIGH PRESSURE QUICK COUPLERS are precision-made, relatively inexpensive, require zero tools, and are easy to connect and disconnect using only these 80-year-plus hands.

They use a fine-pitch thread to lever open the check valves inside the couplers.

Get them and you will be happy!

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #28  
Between built up pressure in the lines, less than perfectly smooth/clean mating surfaces, and arthritis in my hands I was really struggling with couplers (Ag and Flat Face). This tool has really helped me. It's a bit bulky, but man does it work!

Mike Morgan recently showed this tool on one of his YouTube videos. Seemed to work very well.
Personally I use The Waite Hydraulic Decompression Tool - BoltOnHooks LLC which releases the pressure like the various "cover with a rag and hit with a hammer" tricks, but with more control.

In theory I love the solution of connecting your implements' hoses together....except if both implement sides of the circuit are male!

As others have said, thermal expansion of the fluid is the usual cause. Made worse if gravity and sag compress the fluid too. What got me to spend the $ for the Waite Tool was my backhoe, where the stabilizers sag as its sitting there, increasing the pressure.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #29  
Grapples present a unique challenge. I'll guess the OP is having problems with the grapple side connector.

Its fairly easy to relieve pressure on the tractor side. Power down and cycle the 3rd function or whatever.

The grapple is interesting as when attached, you have gravity acting on the lid which acts on the cylinders and puts pressure on one side of the cylinders. One hose should attach easily as the OP mentioned as the that end is at a slight vacuum.

The trick on the other hose is to find a way to reverse the load on the cylinder. What I do is remove the grapple when it is half open. I have to do this anyway as with a root rake grapple, it won't stand on the bottom tines. This means it stands with the upper and lower tines on the ground.

At this point when I attach, I can lift the grapple slightly. One hose will go on without any problem. I then down curl the grapple and put the upper tines only on the ground and push a bit. Then, the second hose will go on with no effort. Works every time. Took a while to learn this.

I guess with a basket type grapple, one would have to figure a way to pull the upper tines up a bit to relieve pressure. I don't know that you can down curl enough to have gravity help. Maybe a ratchet strap. Not sure. But the technique described works wonderfully on a wicked 60.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #30  
Between built up pressure in the lines, less than perfectly smooth/clean mating surfaces, and arthritis in my hands I was really struggling with couplers (Ag and Flat Face). This tool has really helped me. It's a bit bulky, but man does it work!

Just got mine today, ordered on eBay from the manufacturer: Items for sale by xboom-coupler | eBay

20220307_115544.jpg

Will try it this afternoon after it warms up outside.