Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d?

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #11  
Air cooling went away when the treehugger crowd got "noise" pollution regs into place.

Water cooled diesels are much quieter...

SR

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #12  
I recently had very good service from D-F parts for my SAME Deutz-Farr Tractor.

Had to come from overseas, took about two weeks. (an axle and differential component.)

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #13  
Air cooling went away when the treehugger crowd got "noise" pollution regs into place.

Water cooled diesels are much quieter...

SR

I can't find any noise regulations for off road diesels. Could you post a link?

I could see manufacturers going to water cooled for emissions reasons, as water cooling gives better control of combustion chamber temperatures and that affects emissions. There's some motorcycle manufacturers (Harley being the most well known example) who went to water cooling primarily for emissions reasons.

In vehicle design there's a three way battle between power, size/weight, and noise. You can make good power and be quiet but then you need big mufflers and airboxes (and maybe water cooling or other engine changes). If muffler size is restricted and the vehicle needs to be quiet then it's going to make less power. Harley had this problem for a long time. With a tractor, keeping weight low is not an issue and space isn't much of one either. So it's possible to make good power with low noise.

One of the things I like about my tractor is that it's quiet. At least when it's not powering the PTO chipper.

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #14  
I have no idea if there's a link to everything in this world, but I was told by a Deutz exect. that noise was the reason, that was a LONG time ago. Pretty much all of the air-cooled diesels went away at about the same time, so...

Personally, I MUCH prefer air/oil cooled diesels over liquid cooled and I have several of them in use.

SR

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #15  
I don't have a a Fendt dealer/service in my area and the $55k price point is likely below what a Fendt costs for a 75hp unit. Thanks though.
Not suggesting you buy a Fendt. I’m suggesting that since Fendt uses Deutz engines, that you would do well in a Deutz Fahr tractor. :)

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #16  
Air cooled diesel engines went away because of emissions, not noise. The only loud ones are the single and two cylinder ones, but so are the water cooled ones. Emissions "killed" yet another series of great engines. Those air cooled engines were way overbuilt and ran literally forever with basic maintenance. They were so easy to work on or even rebuild.

To the OP, that's definitely a great tractor. Congrats! That tractor has actual front brakes built in inside the final drives and most likely a front diff lock.

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #17  
I can't find any noise regulations for off road diesels. Could you post a link?

I could see manufacturers going to water cooled for emissions reasons, as water cooling gives better control of combustion chamber temperatures and that affects emissions. There's some motorcycle manufacturers (Harley being the most well known example) who went to water cooling primarily for emissions reasons.

In vehicle design there's a three way battle between power, size/weight, and noise. You can make good power and be quiet but then you need big mufflers and airboxes (and maybe water cooling or other engine changes). If muffler size is restricted and the vehicle needs to be quiet then it's going to make less power. Harley had this problem for a long time. With a tractor, keeping weight low is not an issue and space isn't much of one either. So it's possible to make good power with low noise.

One of the things I like about my tractor is that it's quiet. At least when it's not powering the PTO chipper.
New common rail diesel engines are quieter because of pilot injection. Pilot injection is mainly used for emissions but it also reduces diesel clatter. Diesel with the older style injection, like on my Branson are still noisy :)

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d?
Thanks for all the great feedback, I have decided to buy the 5080d. It has a nice Stoll loader on it.

Unfortunately, after the local dealer (1.5 hours away) said they had one, after I got there they told me it never arrived and when it does it sold. All that said, I found one in Washington and just have to finalize all the attachments and financing on Monday. Not really happy with the attachments they quoted, not familiar with the brand, but at first glance the quality doesn't seem to be there. I would welcome any comments. Here they are Whole Goods

1652504083219.png

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #19  
Congratulations!
Do you ever see the attachments "pop up" for sale at auctions or Craigslist, etc.? The quoted (attachments) prices would seem to be top of the line name brands. If the forks and grapple are built similarly to the unit's pictured.... pretty wimpy backstop on the forks that look like it's built as a "step through" type for a SS with a little center section added for loaders. The grapple is a single lid and who knows how heavily built it is. Grappling is one activity that is naturally subject to abuse of both the grapple and the tractor's loader and better be built like a brick.
The $200 package discount... I wouldn't know to laugh or cry, insulted might be the proper reaction.
Sorry for the downer on the attachments, but from the link it looks like typical TSC chit, just double the price. You'll enjoy your tractor for sure!

/ Why isn't anyone talking about the Deutz Fahr 5080d? #20  
Just buy tractor & loader from dealer. The loader seems very low priced. Forks seem fairly priced. Blade & grapple look overpriced, even with the $2000 discount

Last edited: