Why not a small PTO rock crusher?

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
I think it's in the film, "O brother, where are thou?" an old tractor is operating a small drop-in rock crusher with its belt. I see online that if you have a 100+hp tractor, you can buy, at enormous cost, a much larger PTO rock crusher or a field rock crusher that crushes rocks in a field, but all the smaller units are really, really small and cater to prospectors, and are mostly small engine or electrically operated.
It would be great to have a PTO jaw type rock crusher that could break medium sized shale stones like we have here in the Catskills by the milions, but there doesn't seem to such an animal..It would probably have be operated by its own hydraulics like some of the wood chippers are, for safety, but it would seem to be something that could be made fairly inexpensively.. I've seen some home made units in Youtube videos..

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #2  
I agree, it seems like a great machine for folks wanting to crush their own rock for a driveway.

Edit: Get the little rocks you want and rid of the big rocks you don't!
Kill two rocks with one stone? No, wait. I'll see myself out now :)

Last edited:
   / Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #4  
I don't know. All I have here is basaltic lava - one of the harder rock forms known. I think a low cost picker might be an easier choice.

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #5  
   / Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #6  
There's no practical crusher for personal use. Even a rake/picker that works is an expensive tool unless one owns alot of land.

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #7  
Look up mbmmllc on YouTube. The guy builds all sizes of jaw crushers for mining and recycling uses. Email him and I'm sure he could put a PTO shaft on one of them.

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #8  
So, I just ordered a 8" x 12" jaw crusher from MBMM. They said they are working on a PTO crusher. I would think for us tractor guys a PTO crusher would be great. I'd have bought one.

/ Why not a small PTO rock crusher? #9  
I think it's in the film, "O brother, where are thou?" an old tractor is operating a small drop-in rock crusher with its belt. I see online that if you have a 100+hp tractor, you can buy, at enormous cost, a much larger PTO rock crusher or a field rock crusher that crushes rocks in a field, but all the smaller units are really, really small and cater to prospectors, and are mostly small engine or electrically operated.
It would be great to have a PTO jaw type rock crusher that could break medium sized shale stones like we have here in the Catskills by the milions, but there doesn't seem to such an animal..It would probably have be operated by its own hydraulics like some of the wood chippers are, for safety, but it would seem to be something that could be made fairly inexpensively.. I've seen some home made units in Youtube videos..

If it were run off a PTO, it would make quick work of your PTO clutches, or worse….