Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor?

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #121  
It is more akin to the Grand L in terms of features but not in size. The 3E compares to the Standard L in terms of size but not weight.
Not sure what you are trying to say.

The 3038E is an economy tractor with a 62.7" wheelbase and weighs 2668 pounds and a 3ph lift capacity of 1356 pounds @24"
The L3901 is an economy tractor with a 63.3" wheelbase and weighs 2778 pounds and a 3PH lift capacity of 1433 pounds @24"

I'd say they compare quite nicely. The 3039R is 68" wheel base, weighs 3047 pounds, and rear lift of 2194 pounds @ 24". I stand by my statement that its an apples to oranges comparison to compare a deluxe and larger tractor to the economy and smaller kubota. Especially when deere offers nearly an identical ECONOMY tractor in terms of specs to the 3901

The 3039R is bigger, but not quite as big as the GrandL.

Deeres own website chooses to compare the 3038E to the L3901 in their competitive comparison and they pick the grandL models to compare their 3R series to.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #122  
Once again, thanks to all for all the great insight here!

In reply to some of the posts and to clarify the differences between these 2 models

The NX5510 has over the NX4510, 10 more HP, Wider rear tires (R4's are 14.9-24 vs. 17.5-24), Cat 1 vs. Cat 1&2 3 pt hitch, weighs 210 lbs more, 2 mph higher top speed. From what I have researched, thats everything.

I do like the idea of having that extra power there if needed, wider rear tires, more weight, and since we are filling the rear tires too that will only mean more ballast weight for when we use the loader also...

It does bother me a bit that the engine HP increase probably is just a "tune" and bumps up the boost...but it may be other things we are not aware of like injectors or something.

So, I think we are going to go with the NX5510. Its at the top of what we figured we would have to spend, and it may be more tractor than what we need. But as said above, I think there is great advice to the "cry once buy once" saying. I would hate to not get it, and then down the line, need it and then start tractor shopping again or be unhappy with our decision.

Thanks again everybody, it is greatly appreciated :)
If it helps, also think of your tractor as a "long term equipment rental". I think it's generally accepted that if you sell your new tractor within 10 years, and take care of it, that your cost of ownership will actually be very little when you sell it. On the other hand, if you keep it for 20 years, well, you probably got your money's worth even if you bought extra.

Sounds like you've decided to go bigger, you won't regret it. You can always get more attachments later when you feel the need, but you can't as easily get a bigger tractor after the fact.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #123  
Hi all, I wont lie, I am totally new to the tractor world. Very familiar with cars and trucks, not so much on tractors. But, I have been reading articles, posts, and watching videos like crazy for the past 2 months learning what I can as we shop tractors.

Lets take the Kioti NX4510 and NX5510 for example. Both HST. Same basic tractor, 10 more HP. Otherwise between the 2, its larger (wider) tires, and a better 3 pt hitch, thats it I think.

So does 10 Hp matter, say your using a decent sized PTO Snowblower in what the town plows leave behind after a 12" snow fall, is that 10 Hp noticeable?

What about if your just pushing snow around with a pusher box, will the extra HP and TQ help?

Is there other benefits of more HP other than running the PTO?

Have you ever in your 35 or 40 Hp tractor, wished you had 45 or 50 Hp?

Curious to hear everyone's opinions, thank you!
I believe they say that you never hear a man mention, "I wish I had gotten a smaller tractor!".

I was thinking I wanted a 40hp when I found my 60hp which wasn't even 10% more money at the time for 50% more power.

I haven't looked back at the 40hp unit ever, although there are times I've looked further up the product line and wondered if I shouldn't have gone bigger.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #124  
I went with the lower hp version for cost and durability of the drivetrain. I like vehicles/tools to be under stressed/idiot proof, and while I couldn't see me ever wearing out a 20hp/l diesel engine, even using max power more often, I can see stressing the HST with more power. The cooling systems and gears aren't bigger on the 50hp version either so when I'm using my tractor as a bulldozer with the big box blade for a tank of fuel at a time I don't worry as much about it as all the drivetrain and cooling systems should be about to handle 10hp more.
I have run out of pto power running a buddies 4x5 round baler when the humidity picked up in the evening and probably the 50 would have run it a bit better but that's not my usual usage. My rotary cutter speed is almost always limited by how rough the ground is and the quality of the cut, not hp, and if I bought the rotary cutter again I'd go wider as its always easy to slow the tractor in a heavy spot with the hst.
So for my usage I'm glad I got a heavier tractor even with lower hp, as its more useful than a lighter tractor with more hp to me atleast.
If you think you are going to get into round baling hay or running a big rotary mower then go right to the 60hp version, or just get a big cheap old 2wd tractor.

Last edited:
   / Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #125  
My rotary cutter speed is almost always limited by how rough the ground is and the quality of the cut, not hp, and if I bought the rotary cutter again I'd go wider as its always easy to slow the tractor in a heavy spot with the hst.
I preach this all the time. This isnt the 1950's where your speed was limited by a geared transmission that was TOO fast.

Which is why I run an 8' twin cutter. Curious what size you choose for the DK

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #126  
I preach this all the time. This isnt the 1950's where your speed was limited by a geared transmission that was TOO fast.

Which is why I run an 8' twin cutter. Curious what size you choose for the DK
Only 5' as it was quite a deal, and for trails its fine, but I'd get a 6.5' now. I mostly mow trails so going too wide isn't practical. The odd time I'm in grass and weeds up the the hood and the tractor never bogs, the mower just quits cutting well. For doing alot of fields or pasture though 8' would be great!
I run an old 9' haybine with no problems up to full speed in midrange where the field is smooth enough but have to feather the hst to avoid it clogging up the crimper in the heavy stuff.

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #127  
A 9' haybine runs quite a bit easier in heavy conditions, in fact much easier than a 6' rotary cutter in the same conditions.

SR

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #128  
The 3038E is an economy tractor with a 62.7" wheelbase and weighs 2668 pounds and a 3ph lift capacity of 1356 pounds @24"
Deere must of have changed that number very recently on their website because their brochure states it is 2222 lbs.
The 3039R is bigger, but not quite as big as the GrandL.
The Grand L especially the L4060 which would be the comparison tractor to the 3039R is a much bigger tractor frame size wise and weighs 848lbs more then the 3039R.

Last edited:
   / Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #129  
A 9' haybine runs quite a bit easier in heavy conditions, in fact much easier than a 6' rotary cutter in the same conditions.

SR
Yep, a 6' brush hog with the blade speed fast enough to cut hay perfectly at 8mph would be a bit scary! My buddy has a 6' 3pth finish mower but he runs it with maybe 18 pto hp? His lawn isn't a golf course fairway so he's pto hp limited for maybe all of a minute on a 1 hour lawn...

/ Will 10 Horsepower actually matter on the same size tractor? #130  
Only 5' as it was quite a deal, and for trails its fine, but I'd get a 6.5' now. I mostly mow trails so going too wide isn't practical. The odd time I'm in grass and weeds up the the hood and the tractor never bogs, the mower just quits cutting well. For doing alot of fields or pasture though 8' would be great!
I run an old 9' haybine with no problems up to full speed in midrange where the field is smooth enough but have to feather the hst to avoid it clogging up the crimper in the heavy stuff.
Do you have a slip clutch on that RC? Either that or the blades are folding in at rated rpm.