Wind Generation

/ Wind Generation #61  
China opens a new coal fired power plant at the average pace of like 1 per month, WHILE they sell us Chinese made solar panels and wind mills.

They must laugh at us until their ribs hurt! We will fund them for decades through Chinese made solar panel and wind turbine purchases until their ascension to the #1 super power.
I'm not sure what the market share of Chinese panels here in the US is but I'm not sure it's that high, we have a pretty high tariff and there's a lot of panels made in North America and Europe now. I live off grid (solar) and I have a connection to a Victron Energy dealer, because of that I'm able to buy things at cost (which is awesome) but I can't buy Victron solar panels even if I wanted to, they won't even import them because of the tariff on Chinese made panels. I ended up buying Silfab panels which are made here in Washington State.

I don't disagree with your sentiment at all though, China's building coal plants left and right while the rest of us try to ban or make unaffordable everything that actually works in the name of 'green energy'... Case in point, I'm able to live off grid utilizing solar panels and a battery system because of propane, it wouldn't be possible in a northern climate without it, and yet, they want to ban natural gas and propane here.

/ Wind Generation #62  
I'm not sure what the market share of Chinese panels here in the US is but I'm not sure it's that high, we have a pretty high tariff and there's a lot of panels made in North America and Europe now. I live off grid (solar) and I have a connection to a Victron Energy dealer, because of that I'm able to buy things at cost (which is awesome) but I can't buy Victron solar panels even if I wanted to, they won't even import them because of the tariff on Chinese made panels. I ended up buying Silfab panels which are made here in Washington State.

I don't disagree with your sentiment at all though, China's building coal plants left and right while the rest of us try to ban or make unaffordable everything that actually works in the name of 'green energy'... Case in point, I'm able to live off grid utilizing solar panels and a battery system because of propane, it wouldn't be possible in a northern climate without it, and yet, they want to ban natural gas and propane here.
I don’t think that many wind turbines are imported from China. I know there’s a big plant that makes them about 4 hours north of me in Pueblo, Colorado, and I’m sure there’s many more.

/ Wind Generation #63  
I don’t think that many wind turbines are imported from China. I know there’s a big plant that makes them about 4 hours north of me in Pueblo, Colorado, and I’m sure there’s many more.
They are made in China and many are made in Europe. Definitely not a product we only source from USA.
Solar panels are almost exclusively made off shore.
Both destroy the beauty of our landscape.
I’d much rather have a 200 acre site for a nuke or gasser than thousands of acres covered by windmills with the “whoosh-whoohs” 24/7 and the pile of dead birds under each one or the 1000 acres of Chinese black solar panels.
UG-LY

/ Wind Generation #64  
They are made in China and many are made in Europe. Definitely not a product we only source from USA.
Solar panels are almost exclusively made off shore.
Both destroy the beauty of our landscape.
I’d much rather have a 200 acre site for a nuke or gasser than thousands of acres covered by windmills with the “whoosh-whoohs” 24/7 and the pile of dead birds under each one or the 1000 acres of Chinese black solar panels.
UG-LY
The windmills used around here are trucked from the factory in Pueblo. We also have solar panel manufacturers here locally. I’m sure that China sells some here also (like everything else). As to our preferences; this is free enterprise: the ranchers around here love to lease lands to the power companies for wind farms. They make a good income and still graze the land. I personally don’t think that wind farms are aesthetically pleasing either, nor are solar farms. But neither are coal and gas plants. We all want power though.

/ Wind Generation
Because your posts come across as someone the doesn't believe that the wind turbines are connected to anything. Hope that's not what you're implying. :oops:
********************************************************************************************************************************
Thanks for the answer i was looking for , and yes , that's exactly what i was implying and still are in my location .

The reason i ask is because in my area i'v never seen any indication of the turbines being connected to anything except the wind , and in fact the first that were set in a area approximately12 - 15 years ago were dismantled and moved about 4 years ago . Real information from the local news paper or local TV news is hush hush about the wind turbines , except one TV broadcast mentioned turbines once and were quickly silenced . That may have been a election year . No one locally wants to discuss them , especially the farmers that are seeing some revenue .
And there's a question about who is paying the farmers and ranchers . I once read a sketchy article that the state granted the manufacturer money to build and install so that means the tax payer is paying .

Last edited:
   / Wind Generation #66  
Worked on a repower project a couple of years ago. The blades and tower extensions came from the Colorado location you mention. The Nacelle (Generator and gear boxes) came from China.

The made in China components have already leaked hydraulic oil onto many of the towers.

/ Wind Generation #67  
Because your posts come across as someone the doesn't believe that the wind turbines are connected to anything. Hope that's not what you're implying. :oops:
********************************************************************************************************************************
Thanks for the answer i was looking for , and yes , that's exactly what i was implying and still are in my location .

The reason i ask is because in my area i'v never seen any indication of the turbines being connected to anything except the wind , and in fact the first that were set in a area approximately12 - 15 years ago were dismantled and moved about 4 years ago . Real information from the local news paper or local TV news is hush hush about the wind turbines , except one TV broadcast mentioned turbines once and were quickly silenced . That may have been a election year . No one locally wants to discuss them , especially the farmers that are seeing some revenue .
What is your fixation with a windmill conspiracy? Your posts are more and more sounding like the rantings of a nutter.

/ Wind Generation #68  
Your Texas wind farms froze just like your Texas natural gas lines feeding power plants froze because in Texas they didn’t winterize the system. Meanwhile in adjacent New Mexico and the rest of the plains states, during the same cold weather the wind and gas plants kept operating because they were designed for winter. The problem is not with the technology; the problem is that they didn’t build the systems correctly in Texas.
Texas doesn't have much winter in the southern counties. ERCOT knew there was an unusual cold front coming and still forced the nuclear power plant on the coast to perform scheduled maintenance. ERCOT also knew many of the wind farms would be forced to shut down due to the record cold. ERCOT also knew that South Texas wasn't prepared for the historical cold and yet ordered what power could be generated routed to the North (and New Mexico) because the wind farms couldn't produce electricity in the cold.

Texas used to have a closed power generation system. We generated more than enough electricity and kept it in the state. Ever since ERCOT, we've been given the shaft.

I hope what ERCOT management that didn't quit got fired. 👏 The governor wanted to throw a few of them in prison.

/ Wind Generation #69  
Texas doesn't have much winter in the southern counties. ERCOT knew there was an unusual cold front coming and still forced the nuclear power plant on the coast to perform scheduled maintenance. ERCOT also knew many of the wind farms would be forced to shut down due to the record cold. ERCOT also knew that South Texas wasn't prepared for the historical cold and yet ordered what power could be generated routed to the North (and New Mexico) because the wind farms couldn't produce electricity in the cold.

Texas used to have a closed power generation system. We generated more than enough electricity and kept it in the state. Ever since ERCOT, we've been given the shaft.

I hope what ERCOT management that didn't quit got fired. 👏 The governor wanted to throw a few of them in prison.
Why do wind turbines freeze in Texas, but not New Mexico, Colorado, or Wyoming? Sounds like shortcuts were taken during construction.