Wood storage

/ Wood storage #1  

murphy1244

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota 1120 RTV Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y
I seem to be going thru a lot of tarps for my wood stacks. The tarps from HD and TSC seem to last 2 years or less. What are you using for tarps and how long do they last.

/ Wood storage #2  
Tarps are temporary solutions to a perpetual problem. I went for a longer lasting solution.

4 cord sheds (have 4 of them, at various locations around the farm)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

/ Wood storage #3  
I seem to be going thru a lot of tarps for my wood stacks. The tarps from HD and TSC seem to last 2 years or less. What are you using for tarps and how long do they last.

If you're going to always use wood and lot of it, then a woodshed is the way to go. I have a wood shed and an RV shed with wood in it. The RV shed is just a roof and a back but does the job well enough. The wood shed is three sides and a roof with a tarp for the front and yes the tarp needs to be replaced. There is no real hurry as the wood is covered and a new tarp would only make the pack rats more comfy. Until they start paying rent, I don't care.

/ Wood storage #4  
TnAndy. Any problems with skunks and such taking residence under your sheds?

/ Wood storage #5  

Would it be much different then your wood piles with tarps? A little more tempting, maybe.

/ Wood storage #7  
poly film
From the builder's supply
Cheap enough to be disposable, but it lasts several years before the UV makes it brittle.

'comes in several widths and weights.

Like I said, cheap! and works perfectly!

ps I attach short lines to the corners. the lines terminate with a loop that can be drawn over a short stick that can be shoved into any chink in the stack. That way, the pile can be accessed, and the covering moved with little trouble and covering refastening.

/ Wood storage #8  
If you can find a commercial roofing job that had gravel ballast on the membrane you can usually get the guys to give you the materials. Around here they cut it into big squares and fold it up and toss it into a trailer headed for the dump. Stuff works great and is really heavy so it doesnt' flap in the wind like cheap tarps.

/ Wood storage #9  

No, none I know of. Plus there is enough clearance under them to 'sweep' with a 12ga.

Had a pile down against the basement wall outside one year. One day I hear the wife hollering about something down there, so I go to see what it is. "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE !!!.......I saw a rattlesnake go in that woodpile !"

So, I'm thinking 'yeah....sure honey..." I went and go get the 12ga, stuck it in the pile and popped off a couple rounds, and said, tongue in cheek, "I got it honey"

Well, as it turned out, when we moved the wood pile inside the basement that fall, on the ground under it lay the skeleton/skin of a timber rattler with 12 rattles and a button !

"See...I TOLD you so !"

I'm sure the concussion killed it, not that a lead pellet did. Only rattlesnake we've seen here in 35 years. But no more wood was ever piled by the door.

/ Wood storage #10  
If you can find a commercial roofing job that had gravel ballast on the membrane you can usually get the guys to give you the materials. Around here they cut it into big squares and fold it up and toss it into a trailer headed for the dump. Stuff works great and is really heavy so it doesnt' flap in the wind like cheap tarps.

We have 2 kinds of wood covered- a really large stack of 10-20 foot mixed logs which we bought from a tree surgeon; and pallets of wood cut to length and split into wood bags (which are large 4w 'x4'd x5'h nylon mesh bags made for holding wood).

What we use to cover both are vinyl billboard "tarps"- sheets of a sandwich of vinyl top and bottom layers with nylon netting bonded between them, and with pipe loops on the edges.

We have gotten the ones we have from Repurposed Material
shttp://www.icontact-archive.com/gkR_CVldWcpPtQ1GQzq9wqrVF9i6Vv03?w=4

There are also some local sources our neice can access because she is a local beertender, and her hubby a bar manager- which I found out only after we had purchased 2.

We got one 20' x 60' for $55 at auction, and a 30' x 60' for $65 direct sale.

Last edited: