Woodmizer lx25 sawmill

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #11  
Personally, I'd rather take the money spent for a bigger saw, bigger bar and all the expense to run it, and throw that money at a bigger BSM!!

Those CSM's get REALLY old, as you get even a little older!! Especially, the toll they take on your body!!

SR

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill
Personally, I'd rather take the money spent for a bigger saw, bigger bar and all the expense to run it, and throw that money at a bigger BSM!!

Those CSM's get REALLY old, as you get even a little older!! Especially, the toll they take on your body!!

SR

Years back, 34 to be exact, when we first moved to this property we ran a Stihl 088 with a 32 inch bar on a Granberg Alaska CSM.
It did get old fast and once we finished building our home, I sold them both.
In the intervening years we have hired friends with BSM's to come and cut for us. We always loaded, tailed and stacked along with the sawyer.
It was that experience that convinced me never to own a mill and yet here I am with a change of heart...go figure:laughing:

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #13  

SR

Me to, a new 70+cc saw can be very pricy and I'd only use one to make beams, cutting lumber with chainsaw mill is just not practical, I get tired just watching a video of one.....

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #14  

SR

Maybe I did not explain my thinking very well

How about a CS mill with a "small" saw (Rancher 455 20" bar) to take off the first 2-3" of a large log so that the log can be handled by a smaller BSM? That would allow a BSM rated for 20" logs to use logs up to 26". In my case, there is no investment in a larger saw or bar...only the CSM and some rip cut chain.

I realize for serious work, time is money. Hobby guys, may have more time than cash. Being retired, I have much more time than $$$.

I agree that a CSM is not a good way to go for cutting any quantity of lumber. Both speed and waste factor into that.

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #15  
^ Don, sounds like a decently smart idea to me. Use the CSM to take 2-3" of girth off the log, if you truly have to. Say, just one basic cut on 4 sides. Not chainsawing through the entire girth of the log should make it less punishing on your body, and faster to complete. Of course, a BSM that could handle the log solo would really be better.

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #17  
A Rancher won't last long milling logs... It's too small and not made to be put into that kind of use...

Why would a guy do that again?? IF you have time and like work, just axe the bark off where the band is going to go, that will make the bands last longer...

SR

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill #18  
A Rancher won't last long milling logs... It's too small and not made to be put into that kind of use...

Why would a guy do that again?? IF you have time and like work, just axe the bark off where the band is going to go, that will make the bands last longer...

SR
That sounds so negative cant you say something positive............

/ Woodmizer lx25 sawmill