Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601?

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #41  
What application are you using to generate this data? I would really like to have that information to assess my bush hogging this summer.

John Deere Mower Plus for iOS. Likely available for other platforms. The app is free, and they allow you to specify non John Deere machinery with cutting width.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #42  
View attachment 740232

If I am reading this calculator correctly, a 104 inch wide mower has to go 8.6 mph to mow 9 acres. That is no overlap, no turns, just a linear line.
I don't know how fast commercial grade zero turns run but I suspect an experienced tech would say that running it wide open would shorten the life of the spindle bearings a good bit.

They have big spindles and thick blades
Lots of rpm and plenty of hp

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #43  
I think the op can trim perhaps 20 minutes off his mowing time with an equivalent sized zero turn mower deck. Only he will know if that's worth the expense of a new machine. In my area of 26-30 mows per season, the zero turn would save about 8 hours of seat time per season.
I cut about 30 acres across 15 or so 1-3 acre lots, so the zero turn is a no brainer for me. Hustling on these lots I average 3 acres per hour with a 72" zero turn. On my 6 acres I do perhaps 4 acres per hour at a brisk (but safe and quality cut) pace.
View attachment 740231

Who can get a brisk quality cut with a tractor?

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #46  
I looked up the specs. 19 mph on the one I'm talking about.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #47  
I pull a 60" swisher trail mower behind the 60" rear mower on my tractor, so I end up getting about a 9' cut on each pass. It also makes it easier to get under low hanging branches, but it's hard to get used to going around corners. When I bought it about 15 years ago it cost $1200, I just looked and it's $3700 now. This is the same trail mower I have, this is a picture from their advertisements:
swisher.png

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #49  
I have 3 acres to mow, i use a 60" mid mount mower on my B2601 it takes me about a hour 20 min to mow the yard. I have been told a zero turn could cut that time in half is that true?

When i mow i do not back up i mow at a angle to reduce the wasted time backing up.

Thoughts?
Same deck size with adequate hp you will cut it in half.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #50  
Oh, 19 mph ? Ya know Roustabout you are digging a deeper hole.

I'm not digging a hole. I sent 14 of them mowers out with seven.crew cab trucks for years. I know exactly what they will do. I also had a shed full of extras to take out to a crew if one went down. I have tractors but I'm either cutting hay, Bush hogging in the woods, or skidding logs. I mow with a mower. I can mow a hay meadow faster and better with a zero turn. Might not bale too good, but we're talking about cutting grass.