Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it?

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #51  
I manage our fleet of fire trucks/equipment in our local Volunteer dept. We have a 1993 International 4900 with a DT-466 and Allison 5 speed. The truck has 17,000 miles on it. It has had regular services and pump test etc.... Those DT-466's are bullet proof if all mechanical, same with the Allison. The 4900 is a rugged truck. I also collect antique tractors and heavy equipment. If a truck has 50 miles on it and sat indoors for 25 years, I doudt anything major is wrong. Check the air lines, hoses, wiring, and change the fluids & filters, check the gear lube and see how it looks...if dark brown and thick leave it in...it's ok. The suspension should be like new....Those bushings will likely be fine, the engine and tranny are new nothing to hurt. Radiator and heater core should be good. Remember the truck has 50 miles on it. No salt, no packed mud, etc. It's a new truck except for possible bad rubber and hose. There have been trucks that sat outside for 20 years and fired up and run right down the road with no real issues. Seen it many times.The truck will likey bring good money.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #52  
CV and/or inner/outer axle universal boots. You'll probably spend a fair chunk replacing all of those. (another rubber part for the list)

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #53  
The OP wrote, in part...."What would it cost to fix all, THAT is the question"

I read every response and sure enough no one answered that specific question.... because sight unseen, without actually being intimately familiar with the specific truck up for bid, nobody on this forum can answer that question with any degree of certainty.
And you can bet that someone who is familiar with that particular vehicle (typically the auctioneer or someone close to them, or someone connected to the prior owner) has at least a ballpark idea of what it would cost and if your bid is significantly less, they have little to lose by outbidding you.

Don't waste your time. If you win the auction you might get what you paid for but you'll probably get less, possibly much less.

Last edited:
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #54  
I don’t expect this truck would be as bad as some people are making it out to be. For starters I think people are applying their passenger vehicle experience to a medium duty. 25 year old light duty vehicle are mostly junk where there’s 25 year old medium duty trucks putting in reliable daily service across the country. Second I think a lot of claims here are overly cautious. I know sitting isn’t good for equipment or vehicles but I think being stored inside would give this one a good chance of being a good truck. I’m really not sure how a coolant hose , a brake line hose, suspension bushing or wiring or any other component that never had lubricant would be any worse off than if it had been used. I wouldn’t pay a stupid price for this truck which it would likely bring but I’d easily pay the same money a 100-200k mile version of the same truck would bring.

Last edited:
   / Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #55  
No reason it won't be solid. I'd rather deal with replacing parts that "let go" or repair leaks as they happen then buying something already worn out that will still need repairs and probably the same ones....

At least around here, something with zero rust, good frame and body is a decent "shell" even if you had to replace the rest. Little harder to replace frame and body on something with a good engine versus putting a new engine in a mint frame and body.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #56  
CV and/or inner/outer axle universal boots. You'll probably spend a fair chunk replacing all of those. (another rubber part for the list)
This truck wouldn't have cv joints and boots.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #57  
Pass. Its a money pit.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #58  
I used to drive mail from Spokane to the outlying rural post offices around Wa and Id. The company had a fleet(15+) of these Internationals. The "Ol Grey Mare" had well over a million on it. Just kept chugging. While I'm not searching for one, I do feel like these were well built, DEPENDABLE good handling vehicles. An in frame, some were items from time to time but they were all solid for my 5yrs in one. If priced right and needed I wouldn't hesitate.

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #59  
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..
If for a fact it was ran then thats great. However they'd really have no reason to do so with a business closed down. So if l got it. l wouldn't worry as much right now about internal engine parts. They'll show up on their own. All heater/coolant lines is where id start. Of course that fuel tank too and l don't know if that is a internal or external on that model. Keep a list and add to it then decide if bidding is worth it. Good luck...

/ Would you buy a 30 year old truck with 51 miles on it? #60  
Like some of you, I‘m always looking for farm equipment, machinery vehicles and trailers. Whether to buy or just learn or fun when its raining, etc.
I have various websites I peruse and stumbled across a very nice mid 90’s IH 4900 tandem axle truck. I couldnt believe how nice the paint was. No rust. Showroom conditions. Its going up for auction in March to the highest bidder, regardless of price.
I spoke to the auctioneer a bit. He bought it from a company In Arkansas. The surviving owner was closing the business and explained he bought the truck in the mid 90’s and parked it in a shed. The odometer reads 51 miles. Thats right 51 miles. No hour meter to at least help somewhat verify the odometer. He started the truck and ran it with me on the phone. Claims it runs perfectly. He said the owner did start & run the truck periodically to keep it lubed.

So it got me to thinking, if any truck was bought new, then sat for 20-25 years, it has to have some damage and it does.

I am making a list of what could be wrong with it, adding up the costs of said issues and contemplating a bid. Heres what I’ve come up with:

1. All tires have 100% tread, but are dry rotted and thats been verified.
2. Valve guide seals in engine probably brittle?
3. Gaskets dried (valve cover, oil pan, transmission main seal and……..)
4. All fluids

What else is probably trashed on a truck that sat 20-25 years? Would it be worth a chance if it could be had cheap enough? I would think so, but what would it cost to fix all? THAT is the question(s)…..
Probably the repairs would cost far less than a new truck. But, as previous posters have said, anything made of rubber will probably be dry rotted.